Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

01 peeking under cover.jpg

02 locate hole centers.jpg

03 2in holes.jpg

04 complete.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NylonPlug.JPG

05 50mm plugs installed.jpg
Advertisement

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Thanks very useful.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hmm. Would this impact the waterseal on those parts? I mean how will you do the shrimp cocktail thing? ๐Ÿค”

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿน
You mean when you high pressure wash out your frunk after the party?

I'd say, no problem.....

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

01 peeking under cover.jpg

02 locate hole centers.jpg

03 2in holes.jpg

View attachment 19135

04 complete.jpg
Aren't the things a little difficult to put jumper cables on through those little holes?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Reading this I am thinking there is an aftermarket product to be developed - frunk covers with built in doors with hinges at the right spot.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Aren't the things a little difficult to put jumper cables on through those little holes?
not too bad.... they fit.

if you go bigger than 2" hole, it will be hard to find a plug. I thought about cutting a door and adding a hinge, but that's more involved than a hole saw on a drill. ;)

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Reading this I am thinking there is an aftermarket product to be developed - frunk covers with built in doors with hinges at the right spot.
I would say it should be a Pre-Market design change for 2021 model year!

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe the special select group Ford has chosen can pass this recommendation on to Ford?

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang Vert, 1985.5 SVO, 1993 Feature car, 2020 Explorer ST, 2016 Fusion Energi, 2021 Bronco 2-door (Soon)
Country flag
Maybe the special select group Ford has chosen can pass this recommendation on to Ford?
Oh I will. Day 3 I had to jump start it and popping the frunk panels off was not a good experience

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Let the Moding begin!
๐Ÿ‘

Elrand

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 IB Prem RWD EX
Country flag

View attachment 19135

if you use 2" knock out seals the hole size is 2.5" electrical sizes are based upon the internal diameter of the the conduit.

ajmartineau

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I hope those knock-outs aren't metal!

Remember you aren't jump-starting an ICE so you don't need huge cables and clamps.

Accord07

Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Country flag
Hmm. Would this impact the waterseal on those parts? I mean how will you do the shrimp cocktail thing? ๐Ÿค”

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿน
There is a rumor over at Jalopnik that we hold cockfights rather than shrimp cocktail in the Mach-E's frunk.

ngga56edwaybefwc3ets.png

Advertisement

Advertisement