Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yeah thanks. I ordered some from Amazon Uk and then found out they are coming from China….but hey ho, they are coming.

Thanks again for posting this originally. Really helpful indeed.

I’ve even label printed exactly the same as you!
I will probably end up putting in a much larger 'panel' on a hinge.... I'll probably add a nice fat Anderson plug, 4awg cables w/d-ring connections to the connection points rather than rely on jumper cable alligator clips for any significant energy export to an Inverter. Just haven't had time to get back to this project yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Could you not use the wires provided in the bumper cover on the passenger side. I don't have my car yet, so am working from memory but understand that these are there to provide an external 12v option if the LVB is dead.

nope. I think the external jump wires are only live if the LV battery is dead. I think there is an auto xfer switch or relay between to prevent accidental shorting and battery drain in case you happen to put the jump wires back in their cubby with ends touching. I might be mis-remembering that, but there is a reason I used the 'connection points' under the side cover.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Oh I will. Day 3 I had to jump start it and popping the frunk panels off was not a good experience
That's what the little square panel in the front left of the nose is for...

/jeeze, hate jumping into a thread and not realizing it started months ago...

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
That's what the little square panel in the front left of the nose is for...
The little panel is for popping the frunk open when the battery is flat, not popping off the panels covering the LVB, which is what he was saying.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
The little panel is for popping the frunk open when the battery is flat, not popping off the panels covering the LVB, which is what he was saying.

Ohhh, Thought it was an access to put a battery pack/jumper thing to let you give your MME a charge/jump.

So it lets you open the frunk so you can get to the battery to actually get the charge/jump

Thanks!

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Finally got my plastic plugs from China....Here are some pictures...
As you can see with my comments on drilling the -VE hole, make sure you drill down a bit or you'll hit the back panel cover as per the picture.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 1632320430845

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 1632320430845

Looks super clean, well done. Want to fly to the US and do mine next?? Everyone loves coming to San Diego!!!! :)

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
Looks super clean, well done. Want to fly to the US and do mine next?? Everyone loves coming to San Diego!!!! :)
It's really not that hard if you do it my way.

Just get an A4 piece of card, and cut an arc to match the rounded corner of the frunk with the trim removed. Then you can mark up the plastic trim plug holes...2 in my case...and pierce them, so that is your reference point.

Once lined up, mark where you want the centre of the hole saw to go on the card, by lining up the battery connector poles underneath the card. (Remembering my previous post about moving them slightly)

Remove the card and then fit it onto the trim plugs on the actual trim. This allows you to mark the trim with where you want the holes. I then drilled the trim from inside to outside.

Took about 20 minutes of checking and double checking, but I found this the easiest way to get the holes where I wanted them.

Never been to anywhere in America, let alone San Diego, so I'll stick to blighty and our crappy weather :)

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Just wanted to report that the instructions worked out great. I'll note that I went the cowboy route and didn't even remove the panel - my 2" hole saw has a very shallow pilot bit (only sticks out about 0.25" beyond the saw teeth), so based on everyone's photos and measurements I just drilled through straight from above with the panel in place, going slowly so I didn't drop down and bang anything.

All worked out great, and a bonus is that it was easier to place the negative hole in such a way as to avoid interfering with the top panel.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Just wanted to report that the instructions worked out great. I'll note that I went the cowboy route and didn't even remove the panel - my 2" hole saw has a very shallow pilot bit (only sticks out about 0.25" beyond the saw teeth), so based on everyone's photos and measurements I just drilled through straight from above with the panel in place, going slowly so I didn't drop down and bang anything.

All worked out great, and a bonus is that it was easier to place the negative hole in such a way as to avoid interfering with the top panel.
Send pics! The more pictures to look at with slightly different spots and their results, the easier it is for future hole saw mavericks. ?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Send pics! The more pictures to look at with slightly different spots and their results, the easier it is for future hole saw mavericks. ?
Certainly! Here are a few photos of where I landed. My alligator clips fit through fine. I ordered the grey caps which are a bit light, but fit perfectly in a 2” hole.

If you decide to cowboy it, make sure your hole saw has a shallow pilot bit, some are adjustable, or you can put a bit in from another drill bit set. There is a fair amount of clearance under there, but you want to minimize the chance of hitting something. Just go slow and you’ll be fine.

D1AD736A-ACFA-48A8-8C8E-470560306FE5.jpeg
51B4225D-53AE-471D-8596-0F85669E8E87.jpeg
015842D7-C66E-4747-A90A-D9DE1E45D60D.jpeg
7103129F-D743-496B-8CE7-CA29DC3254E1.jpeg

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Certainly! Here are a few photos of where I landed. My alligator clips fit through fine. I ordered the grey caps which are a bit light, but fit perfectly in a 2” hole.

If you decide to cowboy it, make sure your hole saw has a shallow pilot bit, some are adjustable, or you can put a bit in from another drill bit set. There is a fair amount of clearance under there, but you want to minimize the chance of hitting something. Just go slow and you’ll be fine.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 7103129F-D743-496B-8CE7-CA29DC3254E1
I have a whole bag full of these covers.... I'll mail a couple to you anywhere in the US for $5 to cover postage. ;) PM me your address.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Thanks to all for the pictures and tips. It made doing it a breeze. Also Ben had a great video that taught the proper way to remove the coverings. I'll throw in another tip. Use an awl to punch a guide for your hole saw bit. It will tend to wander away from the intended center placement.
Since 12v battery failure would be a "challenging" situation, having easy access will take the stress out of the situation and less opportunity damage the coverings or lose clips.
Sponsored

Last edited: