Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging, adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external loads such as a 12vDC->120vAC inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

I have found this very useful charging cordless tools at jobsites, and have even used it to backfeed power to my house during a Grid Outage.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you have to be careful not to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I hate the idea of removing snap panels to get access to the LVB on a dark snowy cold or rainy night!

9/29/22 update - I added a third hole over the HV Disconnect relay. (see the last image in this first post) I figured this would save time for any Service that required disconnecting the HV first.... or for the benefit of First Responders or Tow truck drivers if they wanted to de-energize the HV pack before responding to an accident, or before towing to a salvage yard in case of a bad accident.

The simplest solution is to use a 1-7/8" hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some standard electrical 2" hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 01 peeking under cover

Note the position of the green disconnect in the middle. I did not draw this in the original post but I would highly suggest a third hole. It is fairly close to the top of the cover, so you want to unclip the beauty cover and tip it up before you drill from the top so the pilot drill does not hit the green disconnect connector.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 02 locate hole centers

... and I came back later and added a third hole right over the high voltage relay disconnect. You should remove the beauty cover, or at lease tip it up, before drilling because the top of the HV relay is fairly close to the bottom of the cover.

Emergency response people responding to an accident, tow truck drivers, or future service requiring dropping the battery tray would really appreciate easy access to disconnecting the high voltage battery.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 03 2in holes

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 04 complete

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety NylonPlug.JPG

.... and this is what it looks like with all three holes and covers in place.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 06 added 3rd for HV disco

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Thanks very useful.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hmm. Would this impact the waterseal on those parts? I mean how will you do the shrimp cocktail thing? ?

???
You mean when you high pressure wash out your frunk after the party?

I'd say, no problem.....

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

View attachment 19132

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 06 added 3rd for HV disco

View attachment 19135

Aren't the things a little difficult to put jumper cables on through those little holes?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Aren't the things a little difficult to put jumper cables on through those little holes?
not too bad.... they fit.

if you go bigger than 2" hole, it will be hard to find a plug. I thought about cutting a door and adding a hinge, but that's more involved than a hole saw on a drill. ;)

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Reading this I am thinking there is an aftermarket product to be developed - frunk covers with built in doors with hinges at the right spot.
I would say it should be a Pre-Market design change for 2021 model year!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Maybe the special select group Ford has chosen can pass this recommendation on to Ford?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Let the Moding begin!
?

Elrand

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 IB Prem RWD EX
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

View attachment 19135

if you use 2" knock out seals the hole size is 2.5" electrical sizes are based upon the internal diameter of the the conduit.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I hope those knock-outs aren't metal!

Remember you aren't jump-starting an ICE so you don't need huge cables and clamps.