Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
not too bad.... they fit.

if you go bigger than 2" hole, it will be hard to find a plug. I thought about cutting a door and adding a hinge, but that's more involved than a hole saw on a drill. ;)
I am not familiar as how you got the hole locations. is there an easier way to make an accurate location for a lay person. I see some measurements but I just was not following exactly what you did. Also did you drill while panel is in place or did you take it off. thanks
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am not familiar as how you got the hole locations. is there an easier way to make an accurate location for a lay person. I see some measurements but I just was not following exactly what you did. Also did you drill while panel is in place or did you take it off. thanks
There is a thread somewhere in the forum from someone who developed a template. Try searching for it. I took the covers off and drilled holes but didn't use the template so one of my holes was not in the best place. It works fine, but I wish I had used the template.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
There is a thread somewhere in the forum from someone who developed a template. Try searching for it. I took the covers off and drilled holes but didn't use the template so one of my holes was not in the best place. It works fine, but I wish I had used the template.
Thanks Mike, I was trying to find the template but no success yet. one guy has some strange measurements but I guess it was just over my head.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

View attachment 19132

02 locate hole centers.jpg

03 2in holes.jpg

04 complete.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NylonPlug.JPG

View attachment 20939

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

View attachment 19132

03 2in holes.jpg

04 complete.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NylonPlug.JPG

View attachment 20939
Than

View attachment 19132

03 2in holes.jpg

04 complete.jpg

NylonPlug.JPG

View attachment 20939
Thanks for this post dtbaker. i loolked at everyone's posts and this one worked best for me. I also appreciate woeo and "never measure Mike" for showing how the "neg" hole can run afoul of the stabalizer bar above. I managed to avoid that pitfall.
I was doing this b/c I wanted to condition my battery. I haven't had trouble, but this seemed like an easy thing to do . My access holes are perfect!! My battery will be perfect.
You mentioned it takes 20 min. It took me about 5 hrs including the time it took me to shovel my driveway so I could go buy a 2" hole saw. I also had to read all the posts, and dbl check myself about a bizillion times. My wife kept saying, "Are you sure you want to drill a whole in your new car?"
Thanks also for the link for the plugs. They are hard to find so I ordered on-line. I have to order some clips anyway b/c lost 2.
This forum is awesome!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Than

Thanks for this post dtbaker. i loolked at everyone's posts and this one worked best for me. I also appreciate woeo and "never measure Mike" for showing how the "neg" hole can run afoul of the stabalizer bar above. I managed to avoid that pitfall.
I was doing this b/c I wanted to condition my battery. I haven't had trouble, but this seemed like an easy thing to do . My access holes are perfect!! My battery will be perfect.
You mentioned it takes 20 min. It took me about 5 hrs including the time it took me to shovel my driveway so I could go buy a 2" hole saw. I also had to read all the posts, and dbl check myself about a bizillion times. My wife kept saying, "Are you sure you want to drill a whole in your new car?"
Thanks also for the link for the plugs. They are hard to find so I ordered on-line. I have to order some clips anyway b/c lost 2.
This forum is awesome!
If you need the part number for the clips, here you go:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...e-three-panels-in-the-frunk.13360/post-324306

And if anyone else can't find the 2" plugs online anywhere just DM me and I'll mail you a couple. I have a pack of 50.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was doing this b/c I wanted to condition my battery. I haven't had trouble, but this seemed like an easy thing to do .
Robert, it's so funny you just posted this because look what I just decided to do today! I am not having a problem either but I thought would do a little light reconditioning. And this time, I am following directions..

By the way, my hole may not be perfect, but it works just fine!

20220129_183848.jpg

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
Robert, it's so funny you just posted this because look what I just decided to do today! I am not having a problem either but I thought would do a little light reconditioning. And this time, I am following directions..

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 20220129_183848
...So you knew who "never measure mike " was!

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

20220129_183848.jpg
glad to see you have easy access holes Mike....

wow, that just sounds wrong when I read it out loud....

but the real note is that 'reconditioning' your LVB with an external charger should not ever be needed if your dc-dc converter and 'wake-up-and-charge' system is working correctly. The LVB is 'conditioned' whenever the MME is ON, and *should* be waking itself up if and when voltage drops to 12.0 when sleeping.....

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
but the real note is that 'reconditioning' your LVB with an external charger should not ever be needed if your dc-dc converter and 'wake-up-and-charge' system is working correctly. The LVB is 'conditioned' whenever the MME is ON, and *should* be waking itself up if and when voltage drops to 12.0 when sleeping.....
Hmmm, does the dc-dc converter have a built-in desulfate mode?
If not, it would seem an occasional desulfate cycle might be beneficial.
I had been thinking of doing that myself sometime soon.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
glad to see you have easy access holes Mike....

wow, that just sounds wrong when I read it out loud....

I did a test and while plugged in, the car does maintain the LVB. But when unplugged, it does not. Of course that should not be an issue unless there is something draining the battery.

When unplugged, my car did nothing to save the battery until I plugged it back in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to DIY - add access holes for LVB 12v battery connection points & HV Disconnect Relay for Safety 51848615985_4a6c5eb674_o

Hmmm, does the dc-dc converter have a built-in desulfate mode?
If not, it would seem an occasional desulfate cycle might be beneficial.
I had been thinking of doing that myself sometime soon.
This is exactly what I am thinking. It does not hurt to run it for a couple days just to be sure the battery is performing as it should.
Sponsored