JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
From our friends at GM, a series of educational videos. This one is how to make an electric motor:
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Nice and simple. Can anyone here guess who made the very first electrc motor by accident exactly two hundred years ago? It was the same sceintist who discovered the relationship between an electric current and magnetism. One hint: the "rotor" was a compass needle. His name is now the unit of induction.

I built a simple motor using three paper clips, and two coils of copper wire. One clip was the rotor and the other two was to support the rotor and the field coil. In the 1960s there were several scale model car kits that required the builder to assemble the electric motor, too. I believe they were "Lindberg" kits, and maybe some may be available on eBay and specialized kit fan pages.

As for auto industry motor builds, GM began after Charles Kettering developed the electric starter. GM began full motor builds with the SunRaycer, follwing with the Magnequench motors, and finally the Impact or GM EV1.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Nice and simple. Can anyone here guess who made the very first electrc motor by accident exactly two hundred years ago? It was the same sceintist who discovered the relationship between an electric current and magnetism. One hint: the "rotor" was a compass needle. His name is now the unit of induction.

I built a simple motor using three paper clips, and two coils of copper wire. One clip was the rotor and the other two was to support the rotor and the field coil. In the 1960s there were several scale model car kits that required the builder to assemble the electric motor, too. I believe they were "Lindberg" kits, and maybe some may be available on eBay and specialized kit fan pages.

As for auto industry motor builds, GM began after Charles Kettering developed the electric starter. GM began full motor builds with the SunRaycer, follwing with the Magnequench motors, and finally the Impact or GM EV1.
You have inspired me to read up on the history of electric motors. So many of these inventors' and discoverers' names would make for apt MME license plates.
Sponsored