breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
To be fair the title is a bit misleading...its transmission fluid and gear oil...but oil still!

@SnBGC brought up a question on how the motors are cooled and lubricated and it lead me to do some reading. There may not be normal oil changes on the MME but there is fluid to keep the Rear and Front (if equipped) differentials in good condition.

Ford specifies changing your fluids every 10 years or 150k miles and coolant every 200k miles. My vote is do them all at the same time at 100k miles. I personally think I'd rather do it a little bit early to be safe. The coolant should be changed every 5 years in my opinion but to each their own. Brake fluid is every 3 year according to Ford.

Recap from Ford:
Transmission Fluid - 10 years/150k miles
Coolant - 200k miles
Brake Fluid - 3 years
Cabin air filter - 20k miles

Specifications:
Rear drive - Motorcraft ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 4.07qts (recommend you actually measure how much comes out)
Front drive - NON-GT - Motorcraft SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant / XY-75W85-QL (WSS-M2C942-A) - 0.92 qts
Front drive - GT - Motorcraft ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 3.43qts (recommend you actually measure how much comes out)
NOTE: DO NOT MIX UP GT/NON-GT FRONT MOTORS! You WILL damage your front motor if you put the incorrect fluid in it! The instructions for the GT front motor are at the bottom of this post.

Here's the WSM procedure on changing the transmission fluid. It is super straight forwards and simple. I'll do the rear drive unit first followed by the front drive then the GT front drive below that.

One note. The vehicle is supposed to be in neutral for this. I don't know why, but they want it in neutral. To keep it in neutral you hit the "L" after putting it in neutral with the car on otherwise it will go back to park when you get out. With the car in neutral be sure to be extra careful if you're jacking the car up so it doesn't roll.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! drainrear
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! Fill rear

Front drive unit:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! drainfront

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! fillfront1

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! fillfront2

In reality, no one will have to do this for a while, but here it is for when it needs to be done!

EDIT: Adding procedure for GT front motor below:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.55.11 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.55.29 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.55.37 PM

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The pedestrian speaker is in the front.
how would you know? it's not like you got under the car, took the cover off, and replaced it with a resistor or something

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The pedestrian speaker is in the front.
For some reason I thought it was in the rear only but I guess it is in the front only. The WSM shows a front and rear but we don't have a rear then. I'll remove that line.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Recap from Ford:
Transmission Fluid - 10 years/150k miles
Coolant - 200k miles
Brake Fluid - 3 years
Cabin air filter - 20k miles

Specifications:
Rear drive - Motorcraft ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 4.07qts (recommend actually seeing how much comes out)
Front drive - Motorcraft SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant / XY-75W85-QL (WSS-M2C942-A) - 0.92 qts
The coolant lasts much longer because it doesn't come close to boiling (under normal conditions) so there isn't any out gassing or SCA drop out. I think 200k is fine IMO....

Interesting lube spec for the front drive unit. That means it's not liquid cooled I bet. And I was under there and didn't think to look......

BTW, did you notice the GT front motor section in the WSM? I noticed it there about a month ago or so and then it disappeared shortly afterwards. Someone at Ford had an "oops moment". :)

There is a speaker up front too.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The coolant lasts much longer because it doesn't come close to boiling (under normal conditions) so there isn't any out gassing or SCA drop out. I think 200k is fine IMO....

Interesting lube spec for the front drive unit. That means it's not liquid cooled I bet. And I was under there and didn't think to look......

BTW, did you notice the GT front motor section in the WSM? I noticed it there about a month ago or so and then it disappeared shortly afterwards. Someone at Ford had an "oops moment". :)

There is a speaker up front too.
While it is true on the coolant, over time it can lose some properties so I feel like time is a better replacement indicator rather than miles.

Both front and rear speakers are in the wiring diagrams but I was under the impression there is only one in the front in the US. I could just have totally missed that and that there are in fact two speakers.

Never saw anything on the GT motors.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Now I need to go look for one. My guess is it is for EU spec only

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
While it is true on the coolant, over time it can lose some properties so I feel like time is a better replacement indicator rather than miles.

Both front and rear speakers are in the wiring diagrams but I was under the impression there is only one in the front in the US. I could just have totally missed that and that there are in fact two speakers.

Never saw anything on the GT motors.
I see your concern and valid but some things may be best left alone. If it isn't broke.....don't fix it.
An air bubble in the system could be catastrophic to one of the cells. You have the procedure so you are probably fine. I wouldn't recommend the average owner attempt such a change themselves.

The diagram is correct. I've seen the rear speak in photos of @Mach-E VLOG car when the rear bumper cover was removed. And I've been under the front already.......twice. To retrieve those damn clips on the upper plastic filler covers in the front compartment. :oops:

I think what happens with those speakers is that one sound is played going forward and another sound is used for going in reverse. That rear beeping sound stops around 15 mph or so. The front sound stops around 18 mph I think (according to the WSM), I can't really hear that forward sound very well.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If the back speaker is really there, it doesn’t seem to do anything. The pedestrian alert sounds only come out of the front speaker.
Stand behind your car and have someone put it in reverse. My car is very loud back there....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag