Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nice thing is, changing the oil in the MME looks easier than doing annual fluid changes on my Polaris ATVs. Still, even if I go with ever 100K miles, I’ll probably let the shop do it. For something that infrequent, I can probably save up the cash by then.
That's what all those FordPass Reward points are for.
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That's what all those FordPass Reward points are for.
Those went on seat covers and rubber cargo mat for her car. Somehow I got nothing for my FordPass points. Ford didn’t even bother to put them on my account. All 44000 went right to her. Weird how that worked out. It’s like they knew. ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Now I need to go look for one. My guess is it is for EU spec only
I can confirm there is a speaker in the rear on my Select AWD. I was just under there installing a hitch yesterday. I don't know if it handles the reverse 'beep', or the 'motor sound'.

The bolts that hold most of the rear 'diaper' on are super easy to deal with, but the 4 plastic fasteners are NOT easy to remove without damage. If you pull the belly pans, plan on having 4 replacement fasteners available.

I switched to a plastic fastener that is the screw-type 'expander', and switched the plastic screw to a lathe screw to get a better bite while still being removable in the future.

HighAlpha

First Name
Quill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, '19 Tiguan
Country flag
In reality, no one will have to do this for a while, but here it is for when it needs to be done!
Since the gear teeth surfaces get polished down a lot in the first few thousand miles (break-in), a lot of steel particles get liberated at that time. I say change it out at 1,000 to 10,000 miles, not an exact thing. Just do it to keep those metal particles from circulating around in there for a full 150k miles. Still, it's optional.

If one of the drain plugs is magnetic, you'll see iron collecting on it. This looks like an easy DIY job. Remember to use jack stands for safety. Don't do it unless you have some skills, or get somebody to help. Remember to torque the bolts down properly. Never open the drain plug unless you first loosen or remove the top fill plug, just to make sure you can, so that you never drain oil out before knowing for sure you can put oil in the top fill hole. Get a hand pump to get the fluid in the fill hole.

HighAlpha

First Name
Quill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, '19 Tiguan
Country flag
Here's a look at the rear unit. Be sure to follow the torque specs for those plugs, listed in the first post in this thread, service manual stuff. Since it's listed at 4.07 quarts, and they sell Mercon ULV fluid in quarts, buy 4 and save just a little of the old fluid mid-way thru the drain stream, just in case you really do need a tiny amount over 4 quarts put in.
Thats a lot of fluid. That would increase cooling, important for sustained highway speeds in hot weather. Every other EV uses 1 to 3 quarts, that's it. And this is thin fluid, the "ULV" stands for Ultra Low Viscosity, which increases Range, raises energy efficiency (less churning losses back there).
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! mustangMachErear

Need a pump to get the Mercon ULV into that high drain plug. The tool of choice is something like a " Plews 55001 Lubrimatic Fluid Quart Pump, Fits Standard Quart Bottles " from Amazon or auto parts stores, maybe Walmart has it. It must fit the Mercon ULV bottle or jug spout anyway, whatever brand you find. Multiple brands similar out there, handy.
619SGqXHmqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'd prob just use the Mercon ULV spec fluid, which is sort of a typical ATF red fluid, in this case also used in some recent 10-speed automatic trannies. I would be tempted to use an all-PAO full synthetic GroupIV fluid though, and Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient ATF is the only one I know of like that. There is also Redline D6 ATF fluid with some "trick" higher performance base oils too though. Both the Amsoil & the Redline ones are a tad thicker than Mercon ULV, not much different, but less wear over the long term.

At427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus ST
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
I’m currently doing this as part of my 20K maintenance interval.

First the drain plug has a magnet. A magnet that had a pile of debris attached, unfortunately I didn’t think to take a photo before I wiped it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! DB162009-62BB-491A-BB91-654F73503D7F

Second even with the car checked level I was only able to pump just under three quarts into the fill plug before it started to spill. I did a finger test and the fluid is sitting level to the fill hole.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

First the drain plug has a magnet. A magnet that had a pile of debris attached, unfortunately I didn’t think to take a photo before I wiped it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to Change Your Oil [Transmission Oil & Gear Oil] - Yes, that's a thing! DB162009-62BB-491A-BB91-654F73503D7F

Second even with the car checked level I was only able to pump just under three quarts into the fill plug before it started to spill. I did a finger test and the fluid is sitting level to the fill hole.
Are you going to do this every 20k miles, and if so, why?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

I bet the next time you change it there won't be much on the magnet. A lot initial wear occurs as the gears mesh, then you get almost no wear after that. So I honestly think you can wait 50k or longer before you need to change it again. I've seen this pattern in almost gear drive unit I've owned.

At427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus ST
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
Are you going to do this every 20k miles, and if so, why?
I wouldn’t do this again until Ford‘s recommended interval.

I bet the next time you change it there won't be much on the magnet. A lot initial wear occurs as the gears mesh, then you get almost no wear after that. So I honestly think you can wait 50k or longer before you need to change it again. I've seen this pattern in almost gear drive unit I've owned.
I’d say that a 10,000 to 20,000 change and then following Fords recommended intervals may ease anyones worry about the break-in wear debris.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Bumping this because I added the procedure for the GT front motor to the original post. Not sure why I didn't do this years ago but here it is. Not sure if anyone is even remotely close to meeting the interval to do the fluid change yet but if you are and have a GT make sure to use the correct fluid in the front motor!

Also looks like with the GT you have to cut part of the NVH cover out which I find kind of funny.

Last edited:

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
To be fair the title is a bit misleading...its transmission fluid and gear oil...but oil still!

@SnBGC brought up a question on how the motors are cooled and lubricated and it lead me to do some reading. There may not be normal oil changes on the MME but there is fluid to keep the Rear and Front (if equipped) differentials in good condition.

Ford specifies changing your fluids every 10 years or 150k miles and coolant every 200k miles. My vote is do them all at the same time at 100k miles. I personally think I'd rather do it a little bit early to be safe. The coolant should be changed every 5 years in my opinion but to each their own. Brake fluid is every 3 year according to Ford.

Recap from Ford:
Transmission Fluid - 10 years/150k miles
Coolant - 200k miles
Brake Fluid - 3 years
Cabin air filter - 20k miles

Specifications:
Rear drive - Motorcraft ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 4.07qts (recommend you actually measure how much comes out)
Front drive - NON-GT - Motorcraft SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant / XY-75W85-QL (WSS-M2C942-A) - 0.92 qts
Front drive - GT - Motorcraft ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 3.43qts (recommend you actually measure how much comes out)
NOTE: DO NOT MIX UP GT/NON-GT FRONT MOTORS! You WILL damage your front motor if you put the incorrect fluid in it! The instructions for the GT front motor are at the bottom of this post.

Here's the WSM procedure on changing the transmission fluid. It is super straight forwards and simple. I'll do the rear drive unit first followed by the front drive then the GT front drive below that.

One note. The vehicle is supposed to be in neutral for this. I don't know why, but they want it in neutral. To keep it in neutral you hit the "L" after putting it in neutral with the car on otherwise it will go back to park when you get out. With the car in neutral be sure to be extra careful if you're jacking the car up so it doesn't roll.

Front drive unit:

In reality, no one will have to do this for a while, but here it is for when it needs to be done!

EDIT: Adding procedure for GT front motor below:

These are great documents I noticed that in the lightning it does have a replaceable filter I wonder if they're different motors.