Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Anyone doing this mod should consider going back to add a third over the HV disconnect.... very useful for Ford Service if they ever have to drop the battery, but more importantly as a safety disconnect for emergency responders and tow trucks to disconnect the HV before cutting to extract, or loading a wrecked car onto a tow truck and storing in a salvage yard.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
Anyone doing this mod should consider going back to add a third over the HV disconnect.... very useful for Ford Service if they ever have to drop the battery, but more importantly as a safety disconnect for emergency responders and tow trucks to disconnect the HV before cutting to extract, or loading a wrecked car onto a tow truck and storing in a salvage yard.
Is there a separate DIY guide to do that?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is there a separate DIY guide to do that?
no.... at least I haven't posted one yet.

But, I guess I could since I have the side cover panel off the car... The third hole probably should be cut only with cover OFF the car because there is not much of a gap between bottom of cover and top of connector. It would be a bad thing to drill a pilot hole and hit/damage the connector.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Or maybe a diagram that shows where the HV disconnect is located.

it's the green connector between the LV + and -.... but yes, I'll do a layout/diagram on a picture for people who have not pulled off their Frunk covers..... and I'll add the photo back up in the top post where I put the rest of the images.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
no.... at least I haven't posted one yet.

But, I guess I could since I have the side cover panel off the car... The third hole probably should be cut only with cover OFF the car because there is not much of a gap between bottom of cover and top of connector. It would be a bad thing to drill a pilot hole and hit/damage the connector.
any particular reason you have that cover off, any problems? Hope not.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
any particular reason you have that cover off, any problems? Hope not.

I haven't put my covers back on because I am going to pull the Frunk tub out "someday soon" and see if I can install a front tow hook from BEHIND rather than pulling the bumper cover off. I also might slip in a small inverter, permanently connected to my 12v so I don't have to load and unload my portable when camping or at a job site.

I also am considering sealing up the giant gaps around the wheel wells a bit against snow, slush, and rodents looking for a a place to hang out. Last winter I drove several times in slush, and LOTS packed in thru the gaps and under the Frunk tub.... I was not happy with the gallons of melting slush in my garage.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't put my covers back on because I am going to pull the Frunk tub out "someday soon" and see if I can install a front tow hook from BEHIND rather than pulling the bumper cover off. I also might slip in a small inverter, permanently connected to my 12v so I don't have to load and unload my portable when camping or at a job site.

I also am considering sealing up the giant gaps around the wheel wells a bit against snow, slush, and rodents looking for a a place to hang out. Last winter I drove several times in slush, and LOTS packed in thru the gaps and under the Frunk tub.... I was not happy with the gallons of melting slush in my garage.
Wow, better man then me. Good luck

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
I did a little exploring under the panels in the Frunk, and decided to modify the panel covering the LVB terminal connection points... used for jump starting a dead, trickle charging or adding a heating blanket, or connecting an external load such as an inverter for 'external loads' when Camping or supplying (up to 2000 watts) AC power where ever needed.

The Frunk 'surround panels', are kind of a pain to snap off, and you are likely to break the connection snaps, or even the panel itself over time as it gets brittle with age, or in the cold.... I'd hate the idea of try to get access to the LVB if it dies outside some dark snowy cold night!

The simplest solution is to use a hole saw to make big enough holes to grab the approved Connection Points with jumper cables, and get some hole plugs if you really want to cover when not in use. This procedure takes literally no more than 5 minutes, and you won't have to pop the panels off to give, or get, a 12v 'jump'

View attachment 19132

02 locate hole centers.jpg

03 2in holes.jpg

04 complete.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6GQE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NylonPlug.JPG

View attachment 20939
It looks like the + hole could've moved over 1/4" more?

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Seems like Ford should have managed to update that trim panel with access points by now, they did come up with a frunk organizer when needed. I may hold off a bit longer to see if that happens before getting the hole saw out (but was really tempted when I had to hook up the battery tender last month.)

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Seems like Ford should have managed to update that trim panel with access points by now, they did come up with a frunk organizer when needed. I may hold off a bit longer to see if that happens before getting the hole saw out (but was really tempted when I had to hook up the battery tender last month.)

why would you buy a trim panel when you can cut three holes in.... 10 minutes ?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
That’s a waste of a perfectly good koi pond!
I pour in 3 bottles of tequila, and 5 bottles of margarita mix. One halved lime for the frunk rim, and apply salt. You have to suck REALLY HARD, to get it up the long straws.