Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
INTRODUCTION: The Mach-E, among other Ford vehicles, is capable of enabling the sideview mirror tilt when entering in reverse using FORScan software. Credit goes to @21st Century Pony for getting this modification pulled together. I'll admit stupidity that I attempted this modification on my 2021 Mach-E but didn't perform the Sync setting enablement, and proceeded to revert the FORScan changes. If you have a 2021, try this mod and let us know if you were successful.

PREREQUISITES: You will need the items below to perform this modification.
  • Latest version of FORScan (2.3.51 as of 01/25/2023)
  • FORScan-compatible OBD2 dongle (OBDLink, Mongoose, Veepeak, etc.)
NOTE: If you don't know how to modify as built with FORScan there is a great write up here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

DISCLAIMER: Perform this modification at your own risk. FORScan, used incorrectly, may cause irreversible damage to hardware which may require a dealership visit, most definitely not covered by warranty. You accept all risk performing this modification, among any other modification using FORScan software.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Part A - FORScan
  1. Open FORScan and connect to your Mach-E.
  2. As a recommendation, save a copy of your APIM data before proceeding (you should get in the habit of backing up any module you modify)
  3. Access the Configuration and Programming tab within FORScan.
  4. Locate the APIM Module configuration, making sure you select the module that DOES NOT have "AS BUILT format" in the name, and then click the Play button at the bottom of the window to run the service procedure. This configuration module allows the user to run scripts to complete various actions, rather than changing particular letters and digits within as-built code.
  5. You may get a pop-up alerting "Checking vehicle configuration". Review and click Ok to proceed.
  6. Locate Mirrors tilt in reverse. Double click, and then choose 1 - Enabled. Then, click the blue check box to proceed.
  7. At the bottom of the window, click Write to commit the changes. FORScan will ask you to power cycle the vehicle. Perform as requested.
  8. Exit the APIM configuration by clicking the blue stop button at the bottom of the window, disconnect your Mach-E from FORScan, and close the application.
Part B - Sync Settings Menu
  1. Turn on your Mach-E; accessory or full power.
  2. Access your Mach-E Control Panel (click the car icon; top left of the display).
  3. Select Settings, then Vehicle.
  4. Scroll down to find Mirrors, expand the menu item, and enable Reverse Tilt.
  5. Close the Mach-E Control Panel.
Part C - Programming Reverse Tilt
NOTE: Before proceeding, this modification requires you to have desired seat and side mirror settings mapped to the memory seat button assigned to your user profile. Please identify your memory seat button for the steps below.​
  1. Turn on your Mach-E to full power. You will need to switch between Park and Reverse.
  2. Press and hold your user profile's memory seat button until you hear a beep. This will start the programming sequence.
  3. Select either the driver OR passenger side mirror and ensure the orange LED is illuminated.
  4. Shift the Mach-E to Reverse. Whichever mirror you selected in step 3, will now tilt to a default setting that you will change.
  5. Use the side mirror adjustment toggle to set your desired reverse tilt location.
  6. Press and hold your user profile's memory seat button for 5 seconds. You will hear a beep when you release the button.
  7. Shift the Mach-E to Park. The mirror will revert to your default position in about 5-10 seconds.
  8. As soon as the selected mirror returns to the standard driving position, press and hold your user profile's memory seat button until you hear a beep.
This concludes the selected mirror programming sequence. Before programming the other side mirror, you will need to deselect the first mirror programmed (make sure the orange LED is no longer illuminated, and ensure no side mirrors are selected. Then, begin at step #2 and perform all remaining steps until complete.

USING THE MIRROR TILT FUNCTION:

Tilting of the side view mirrors will NOT work automatically. Tilting will only occur when either the left or right mirror button is selected (confirm with LED illumination). This is a Ford limitation, not a modification limitation. Also, both mirrors cannot auto-tilt down at the same time, unless you perform a manual adjustment.

So, when you are in reverse, or about to shift into reverse (doesn't matter which), select the side mirror you wish to tilt and the action will happen once in reverse. Once you shift to Park or Drive, the mirror will return to the normal position when driving forward or parked.

DIY RESOURCES:

Part C - Programming Walkthrough

Sponsored

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I’ve been waiting for this thank you!!! Being that it isn’t the IPC, can I use a mongoose cable? Still so bummed I can’t use it to program the temp into the IPC.

After doing part c, when you get in the car fresh and drive around and then throw it into reverse, do you still have to press the mirror you want to tilt or will it now do it automatically?

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I would love to add this

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
Thank you for posting this! I'll be trying this one myself in the next few days.

I guess I have to ask: Should I program the driver or passanger side mirror to tilt down?

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I’ve been waiting for this thank you!!! Being that it isn’t the IPC, can I use a mongoose cable? Still so bummed I can’t use it to program the temp into the IPC.

After doing part c, when you get in the car fresh and drive around and then throw it into reverse, do you still have to press the mirror you want to tilt or will it now do it automatically?
Modified the original post with usage of the mod. It will not automatically dip when in reverse - you will need to select a mirror for the tilt action to complete.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Thank you for posting this! I'll be trying this one myself in the next few days.

I guess I have to ask: Should I program the driver or passanger side mirror to tilt down?
You can do one, or the other, or both! It's up to you!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Why not both? each mirror in turn. This helps both in curb parallel parking, and also in super-tight pull-in parking slots.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
INTRODUCTION: The Mach-E, among other Ford vehicles, is capable of enabling the sideview mirror tilt when entering in reverse using FORScan software. Credit goes to @21st Century Pony for getting this modification pulled together. I'll admit stupidity that I attempted this modification on my 2021 Mach-E but didn't perform the Sync setting enablement, and proceeded to revert the FORScan changes. If you have a 2021, try this mod and let us know if you were successful.

• Latest version of FORScan (2.3.48 as of 07/10/2022)
  • FORScan-compatible OBD2 dongle
NOTE: If you don't know how to modify as built with FORScan there is a great write up here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

DISCLAIMER: Perform this modification at your own risk. FORScan, used incorrectly, may cause irreversible damage to hardware which may require a dealership visit, most definitely not covered by warranty. You accept all risk performing this modification, among any other modification using FORScan software.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Part A - FORScan
  2. As a recommendation, save a copy of your APIM data before proceeding (you should get in the habit of backing up any module you modify)
  4. Locate the APIM Module configuration, making sure you select the module that DOES NOT have "AS BUILT format" in the name, and then click the Play button at the bottom of the window to run the service procedure. This configuration module allows the user to run scripts to complete various actions, rather than changing particular letters and digits within as-built code.
  5. You may get a pop-up alerting "Checking vehicle configuration". Review and click Ok to proceed.
  6. Locate Mirrors tilt in reverse. Double click, and then choose 1 - Enabled. Then, click the blue check box to proceed.
  7. At the bottom of the window, click Write to commit the changes. FORScan will ask you to power cycle the vehicle. Perform as requested.
  8. Exit the APIM configuration by clicking the blue stop button at the bottom of the window, disconnect your Mach-E from FORScan, and close the application.
  2. Access your Mach-E Control Panel (click the car icon; top left of the display).
NOTE: Before proceeding, this modification requires you to have desired seat and side mirror settings mapped to the memory seat button assigned to your user profile. Please identify your memory seat button for the steps below.​
  1. Turn on your Mach-E to full power. You will need to switch between Park and Reverse.
  2. Press and hold your user profile's memory seat button until you hear a beep. This will start the programming sequence.
  3. Select either the driver OR passenger side mirror and ensure the orange LED is illuminated.
  4. Shift the Mach-E to Reverse. Whichever mirror you selected in step 3, will now tilt to a default setting that you will change.
  5. Use the side mirror adjustment toggle to set your desired reverse tilt location.
  6. Press and hold your user profile's memory seat button for 5 seconds. You will hear a beep when you release the button.
  7. Shift the Mach-E to Park. The mirror will revert to your default position in about 5-10 seconds.
  8. As soon as the selected mirror returns to the standard driving position, press and hold your user profile's memory seat button until you hear a beep.
This concludes the selected mirror programming sequence. Before programming the other side mirror, you will need to deselect the first mirror programmed (make sure the orange LED is no longer illuminated, and ensure no side mirrors are selected. Then, begin at step #2 and perform all remaining steps until complete.

Tilting of the side view mirrors will NOT work automatically. Tilting will only occur when either the left or right mirror button is selected (confirm with LED illumination). This is a Ford limitation, not a modification limitation. Also, both mirrors cannot auto-tilt down at the same time, unless you perform a manual adjustment.

So, when you are in reverse, or about to shift into reverse (doesn't matter which), select the side mirror you wish to tilt and the action will happen once in reverse. Once you shift to Park or Drive, the mirror will return to the normal position when driving forward or parked.

Video Demonstration for Part C coming soon.
One clarification: FORScan users can connect their WIndows laptop to the car via a hard cable (like a Mongoose cable I guess), via a WiFi dongle, or, like I usually do, via an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth dongle (or similar Bluetooth dongles). There's a setting in FORSCan to allow any one or all three types of connections.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

• Latest version of FORScan (2.3.48 as of 07/10/2022)
  • FORScan-compatible OBD2 dongle

INSTRUCTIONS:

Part A - FORScan

Video Demonstration for Part C coming soon.
Many thanks to Connoisseur for working out the door memory button steps for this mod on the Mach E!

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
One clarification: FORScan users can connect their WIndows laptop to the car via a hard cable (like a Mongoose cable I guess), via a WiFi dongle, or, like I usually do, via an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth dongle (or similar Bluetooth dongles). There's a setting in FORSCan to allow any one or all three types of connections.
Added the video to the OP, as well as compatible OBD2 adapter examples: OBDLink, Mongoose, Veepeak, etc.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Why is stuff like this disabled to begin with?
I wouldn't say it's disabled, it's just not considered for activation because Ford thinks other features are important. The fact here is the modules where these features exist use similar software between most Ford and Lincoln vehicles, which makes it easy for us DIYers to enable 'convenience' or 'courtesy' features that might exist on a higher trim, or a luxury equivalent.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I wouldn't say it's disabled, it's just not considered for activation because Ford thinks other features are important. The fact here is the modules where these features exist use similar software between most Ford and Lincoln vehicles, which makes it easy for us DIYers to enable 'convenience' or 'courtesy' features that might exist on a higher trim, or a luxury equivalent.
I don’t understand. It’s literally so simple and already in the code, so it is clearly disabled when they could so so so easily just enable it for users to decide to on using it not.

mmap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Route1
Occupation
Software Guy
Country flag
I don’t understand. It’s literally so simple and already in the code, so it is clearly disabled when they could so so so easily just enable it for users to decide to on using it not.
Seems to me this feature isn't particularly necessary when 360 camera view is an option/feature. So possibly they disabled it because they believe 360 camera is better. If I had a select I would think this feature was pretty cool, but with a 360 camera I have never felt like I needed to see where the curb was in the side mirror.
Sponsored