Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Thought this might be interesting to some. I was reading a thread where someone saw the UK version of a Mach E showed the temperature on the IPC (Dash Display) instead of the compass, so I set to find out if it would work on a US version. I am using @breeves002 formatting from his Double Honk thread to save some typing, so thanks in advance! Also, thanks to those from the UK that sent me VINs to check against.

Note: FORScan doesn't support writing the Mach E IPC in the current release. You will need the beta build found here: EDIT: Current release 2.3.47 can make the changes. If this link is dead download the latest version from their website instead, hopefully it's added to the mainstream build soon. I literally just sent the developers logs the other night and they came back with this test version.

DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk I'm not responsible for any damage you may do to your car or any denied warranty claims....

Great guide on how to use FORScan: If you don't know how to modify as built with FORScan there is a great write up here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Sign up for an extended license trial or purchase one to support the FORScan team here: https://forscan.org/download.html

Easy way: Once connected go to the programming tab, select IPC configuration and hit play. When the list appears search 'outside' and the 'Outside Air Temperature' will show up. Select it, hit edit, select enable, hit write at the bottom, select OK. Once it writes, the IPC will reset and the temperature will show up shortly.

Manual way: Modify as built in IPC: 720-02-01 xxxx xxxx xExx ENABLES the temperature display. The stock value is C.
DO NOT change anything that is an X - leave your current value there. I had a C where the E is above. I'm about 99% sure all US Mach E will be a C. If not, let me know and I can check on it. Hit write next to the line you modified. No need to restart the car. The IPC will only display temperature or compass. Not both.

BEFORE:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How-to DIY: Enable Temperature Display on IPC (Dash Cluster) with FORScan image1

AFTER:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How-to DIY: Enable Temperature Display on IPC (Dash Cluster) with FORScan image0

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thought this might be interesting to some. I was reading a thread where someone saw the UK version of a Mach E showed the temperature on the IPC (Dash Display) instead of the compass, so I set to find out if it would work on a US version. I am using @breeves002 formatting to save some typing, so thanks in advance! Also, thanks to those from the UK that sent me VINs to check against.

Note: FORScan doesn't support writing the Mach E IPC in the current release. You will need the beta build found here: https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.47.test20220416.exe If this link is dead download the latest version from their website instead, hopefully it's added to the mainstream build soon. I literally just sent the developers logs the other night and they came back with this test version.

DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk I'm not responsible for any damage you may do to your car or any denied warranty claims....

Great guide on how to use FORScan: If you don't know how to modify as built with FORScan there is a great write up here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Sign up for an extended license trial or purchase one to support the FORScan team here: https://forscan.org/download.html

Easy way: Once connected go to the programming tab, select IPC configuration and hit play. When the list appears search 'outside' and the 'Outside Air Temperature' will show up. Select it, hit edit, select enable, hit write at the bottom, select OK. Once it writes, the IPC will reset and the temperature will show up shortly.

Manual way: Modify as built in IPC: 720-02-02 xxxx xxxx xExx ENABLES the temperature display. The stock value is C.
DO NOT change anything that is an X - leave your current value there. I had a C where the E is above. I'm about 99% sure all US Mach E will be a C. If not, let me know and I can check on it. Hit write next to the line you modified. No need to restart the car. This mod will either display temperature or compass. Not both.

BEFORE:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How-to DIY: Enable Temperature Display on IPC (Dash Cluster) with FORScan image0

AFTER:
What happens when a new IPC update comes in? Does it overwrite or will it mess up future updates?

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
What happens when a new IPC update comes in? Does it overwrite or will it mess up future updates?
It's hard to say, since I'm not pending any updates, but I'd highly doubt it would revert or prevent an update unless Ford actively targeted this particular mod just to write it back.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It's hard to say, since I'm not pending any updates, but I'd highly doubt it would revert or prevent an update unless Ford actively targeted this particular mod just to write it back.
Yeah, say if you did this, then got the BlueCruise updates

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Thanks for this. I wonder if we should make a FORScan spreadsheet for Mach E's.... I'll make one if it doesn't exist yet.

Great write up by my buddy Dan from the fusion forum thanks for that link. It's the one I always send people.

I'm definitely doing this today though that's something I want.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Short answer: It won't mess up future updates, it may overwrite the change.

Long answer:
Ford has a database of as built data. When a module is firmware updated they 'configure' the module which flashes the as built and any other config info a specific module may need - though usually just as built.

In the past, SOMETIMES when you make a change to your as built data on a car that phones home (like all Mach-E's) it would ALSO change that value in Fords database permanently making it the value for your car. However it didn't always happen. This means if it does change the database if the IPC is updated this will still stick, but if it doesn't it will revert to the factory setting and you will have to change it again.

So final answer is MAYBE it will revert, maybe it won't. It will not stop updates though I promise that.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Thanks for this. I wonder if we should make a FORScan spreadsheet for Mach E's.... I'll make one if it doesn't exist yet.

Great write up by my buddy Dan from the fusion forum thanks for that link. It's the one I always send people.

I'm definitely doing this today though that's something I want.
The spreadsheet would be a great idea. Iā€™ve used the 2021-2022 F-150 spreadsheet to check stuff like the IPC and APIM, but the BCM is vastly different from a lot of the current Fords.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The spreadsheet would be a great idea. Iā€™ve used the 2021-2022 F-150 spreadsheet to check stuff like the IPC and APIM, but the BCM is vastly different from a lot of the current Fords.
Yeah I use those all the time. I'm thinking something smaller with known good Mach-E tweaks.

PM me your email and I'll make a sheet and make you an editor and we can get it started.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Considering the gut drop moment I had when my laptop rebooted during an IPAM update, I doubt I will try modding software anytime soon. I'll wait until the warranty is up first. Then, who knows... I still hate that damn howler (Pedestrian Alert speaker; yes, I'm aware of the legal aspects of modding it...).

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
So, now you'll have two temp displays? One on SYNC and one in IPC?

Can we swap the temp/compass?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Anyone have luck making this change with the Mongoose adapter? Iā€™m able to make changes to the BCM, but the IPC doesnā€™t show up in the module list, so I donā€™t think itā€™s reading all of the buses.

I also have an OBDLink MX+, but I canā€™t get that to work with FORScan at all.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
So, now you'll have two temp displays? One on SYNC and one in IPC?

Can we swap the temp/compass?
Unfortunately, it's one or the other on the IPC, and you can't change the one on the APIM. Still digging though.

Anyone have luck making this change with the Mongoose adapter? Iā€™m able to make changes to the BCM, but the IPC doesnā€™t show up in the module list, so I donā€™t think itā€™s reading all of the buses.

I also have an OBDLink MX+, but I canā€™t get that to work with FORScan at all.
Try downloading the current release. The developers incorporated all the recent changes in to it. I'm updating the first post.

Now I can do a BCM LIN New Module Calibration. Yay!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Try downloading the current release. The developers incorporated all the recent changes in to it. I'm updating the first post.
I installed 2.3.47, but I'm still getting the same result. These are the only modules that FORScan is showing:

Ford Mustang Mach-E How-to DIY: Enable Temperature Display on IPC (Dash Cluster) with FORScan 1650419939002

I did get the OBDLink MX+ working also, but it just shows the same list of modules, so no IPC.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I installed 2.3.47, but I'm still getting the same result. These are the only modules that FORScan is showing:

1650419939002.png

I did get the OBDLink MX+ working also, but it just shows the same list of modules, so no IPC.
have you tried deleting the vehicle profile and letting it fully rescan? I have an OBDLink MX and a clone VCM that work fine. Forscan tends to hang on the HCM and I have to force close the app, but it always works the second time.