How To: Enable Power Meter on Non-GT Mach E

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Surely it's not hard to program it in for the job 1 cars?
Why is that sure? If it's not already there, I wouldn't think Ford is going to spend any time adding it considering it would only be visible with a manual as-built change with FORScan. I think our only hope is that Ford eventually pushes the newer IPC software to Job 1 cars for some other reason, and we get the power meter ability as a side-effect.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Surely it's not hard to program it in for the job 1 cars?
It requires zero effort or programming to display Power on your phone with the CarScanner App. Just requires an ODB2 adapter and the phone App.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It requires zero effort or programming to display Power on your phone with the CarScanner App. Just requires an ODB2 adapter and the phone App.
Some people don't want to look at their phones while driving. I just want a simple power meter in the IPC.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Some people don't want to look at their phones while driving. I just want a simple power meter in the IPC.
That is exactly why I put my phone holder so it holds my phone right between the IPC and the center console screen I barely have to take my eyes off the road to see the big dial

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is exactly why I put my phone holder so it holds my phone right between the IPC and the center console screen I barely have to take my eyes off the road to see the big dial
I want my phone to stay in my pocket. Hence my desire for a simple power meter in the IPC.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I want my phone to stay in my pocket. Hence my desire for a simple power meter in the IPC.

I have wanted the IPC to display actual Power in/out, in kW, from day 1..... all I am trying to say is that is is POSSIBLE to display exactly the info you want, today, without waiting for Ford to do any programming or OTA.

This also gets around AndroidAuto limitations on what apps you can run since you can see your phone screen in the holder just as safely as using anything on the center console display.... better even since it is less of a reach.

12 displaying CarScanner dashboard.jpg

hb45

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Ext AWD, Dark Mater Grey
Country flag
DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! While this shouldn't void any warranties or cause any issues it is considered modifying your vehicle in an unsupported way. I am not responsible for any damage you do to your vehicle. OTA updates could revert this change.

@Mach-Lee made me aware that non GTs didn't have the power meter. I decided to quickly do some digging and figure out if I could enable it on non-GTs. After about 5-10 minutes I had it figured out. We got it enabled on his Premium no problem!

NOTE: This WILL NOT WORK ON ALL VEHICLES! If your IPC software is too old, the power meter won't work. This is confirmed working on 2022 vehicles.

In theory, this should work on all Job 2 2021 vehicles and later. Older vehicles built before Sept 30 2021 should have had the IPC updated with FDRS to a new enough version for this to be enabled. BlueCruise OTAs may not provide a recent enough software version.

READ: FORScan guide: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Recommended OBD adapter is the OBDLink EX or MX+. Windows laptop is required.

One change in the IPC is required. I recommend unplugging the vehicle from the charger before doing this though it isn't 100% necessary.

Change IPC Value:
720-11-02 x2xx xxxx

Do not change any X's (all but last 2 values should be 0). Once the value is changed hit "write" to the right of it. Hit yes to any checksum error. Restart the car and done! Note if the car is plugged in you will not see the power meter.

Power limiting grey bars: UPDATE: Limit bars do not work with this mod. These show the maximum power available on GT's. Max power can be reduced for a myriad of reasons including but not limited to the following:
-Battery too hot/cold
-Motors too hot/cold
-Low state of charge
-Speed of vehicle

Video showing power meter enabled on 2022 premium:
I did this mod to my car today and worked brilliantly, thanks very much

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
I have a 21 job 2 premium . I’m a little confused, what do I change the numbers in the 720-11-02. Column too. Can you show me what the entry looks like before and after.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! While this shouldn't void any warranties or cause any issues it is considered modifying your vehicle in an unsupported way. I am not responsible for any damage you do to your vehicle. OTA updates could revert this change.

@Mach-Lee made me aware that non GTs didn't have the power meter. I decided to quickly do some digging and figure out if I could enable it on non-GTs. After about 5-10 minutes I had it figured out. We got it enabled on his Premium no problem!

NOTE: This WILL NOT WORK ON ALL VEHICLES! If your IPC software is too old, the power meter won't work. This is confirmed working on 2022 vehicles.

In theory, this should work on all Job 2 2021 vehicles and later. Older vehicles built before Sept 30 2021 should have had the IPC updated with FDRS to a new enough version for this to be enabled. BlueCruise OTAs may not provide a recent enough software version.

READ: FORScan guide: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Recommended OBD adapter is the OBDLink EX or MX+. Windows laptop is required.

One change in the IPC is required. I recommend unplugging the vehicle from the charger before doing this though it isn't 100% necessary.

Change IPC Value:
720-11-02 x2xx xxxx

Do not change any X's (all but last 2 values should be 0). Once the value is changed hit "write" to the right of it. Hit yes to any checksum error. Restart the car and done! Note if the car is plugged in you will not see the power meter.

Power limiting grey bars: UPDATE: Limit bars do not work with this mod. These show the maximum power available on GT's. Max power can be reduced for a myriad of reasons including but not limited to the following:
-Battery too hot/cold
-Motors too hot/cold
-Low state of charge
-Speed of vehicle

Video showing power meter enabled on 2022 premium:
This is great, thanks for the instructions! 👍

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what is the rationale from Ford for not adding this to all vehicles?

This is a pretty standard piece of info that is present in virtually every available EV on the market, even in very old and very inexpensive EV's. So why not show this info to everyone? It's just software amd all the oboard data used to calculate and display this data is already known and monitored by the vehicle in some way.

To me its the equivalent of not including a radiator temp Guage on an ICE vehicle, or not showing you the engines RPM's.

On an EV knowing when your vehicle is POWER LIMITED is pretty freaking important particularly when trying to pass on the highway. Normally you can overtake any vehicle with ease, but if you now commit to overtaking and find that at this particular moment the vehicle decided to limit power because battery is too hot, too cold, or too low a SOC, then you going to find yourself in a bit of a pickle now aren't you!? How about regen... particularly those who use 1 pedal driving.. if the vehicle decides to limit regen, don't you think maybe the driver needs to know that the normal and expected breaking behavior is now limited in some way so they can behave accordingly AHEAD OF TIME!?

How about the rate of charge.. want to know that.. nope.. you don't need to know... this is basic freaking info @FordMotorCompany, so why are you treating it like these are "perks" or "premium features" that are only available on higher trims or newer models. We know the car already has all the oboard monitoring data to show you these things, and we know this because i can plug in a $10 dongle and see this data streams myself, so freaking show it already!

End rant!...

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t show the IPC module

Ford Mustang Mach-E How To: Enable Power Meter on Non-GT Mach E image
There were reports that one of the recent Ford updates broke FORScan communication with some modules. Not sure there's a new version of FORScan yet to address that (if that's even the problem).

737flyer

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X 5, 2021 Mach E-Premium RWD Job 2
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Country flag
There were reports that one of the recent Ford updates broke FORScan communication with some modules. Not sure there's a new version of FORScan yet to address that (if that's even the problem).
All the module software on my FORScan is still showing out of date too.
Thanks

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This is great, thanks for the instructions! 👍

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what is the rationale from Ford for not adding this to all vehicles?
They were lazy. On non GTs it doesn't actually fill the power bar up fully when flooring the car. They didn't feel like modifying it for all cars I guess so they just ....didn't.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag