How To: Enable Power Meter on Non-GT Mach E

EV_Pilot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD, 17 Ridgeline, 13 Leaf(sold)
Country flag
@breeves002 , Thanks for figuring this out and sharing.

Successful adding to my ER AWD Premium built in April 2022. Finally getting the same basic info that my 2013 Leaf had a dedicated meter for. Wish Ford would add a geek mode on the display with numerical values for this and other parameters.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yep, very basic information like how much regenerative braking is occurring is what I’m after. Every other EV and PHEV in existence shows this.
Even my hybrid F150 has it called "Eco Coach" in the cluster. It really teaches us how to optimize and I cannot believe this isn't there by default in non-GT. Absolutely going to be my first mod (and double honk next).

Also, I feel your pain, brutha. The first '21 Job1 Powerboosts off the line had a myriad of missing things in the Sync and cluster that Job2 and '22s got on day1. Forscan enabled them once they were discovered but it took a year before OTA updates gave us cameras-in-motion for example.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hey all! Thanks for this mod, it was a must have on only day2 of ownership. What an oversight on Ford to not have this meter! It feels like on the Premium we have an awful lot of wasted cluster display area, I keep wanting to hit "menu" and scroll through some sort of MyView list of things like in my F150!

Now for my followup after getting the meter enabled.... I have no clue what "gray bars" are and how they are supposed to look. I do know that what I was expecting, based on my F150 hybrid, was a green "regen" braking zone and a white "friction" braking zone. I was only testing around my neighborhood and hardest stop I tested was from about 35mph, so maybe I just didn't have enough to need friction? Will it tell us when we're using friction on top of the regen so we can learn how to optimize?

If not, then the next best thing is the "Brake Coach" popup so you can at least see if you only used regen (100%) or used a combo (something <100%) of friction+regen. However, this only pops up in Engage drive mode and not Whisper or Unbridled. Is this what everyone else sees? I know on the F150 there was an "enable brake coach in Normal" but I don't see anything like that on the Mach E.

Thanks! I'm still learning (and searching) but information is very scattered and hard to get super specific data like this.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hey all! Thanks for this mod, it was a must have on only day2 of ownership. What an oversight on Ford to not have this meter! It feels like on the Premium we have an awful lot of wasted cluster display area, I keep wanting to hit "menu" and scroll through some sort of MyView list of things like in my F150!

Now for my followup after getting the meter enabled.... I have no clue what "gray bars" are and how they are supposed to look. I do know that what I was expecting, based on my F150 hybrid, was a green "regen" braking zone and a white "friction" braking zone. I was only testing around my neighborhood and hardest stop I tested was from about 35mph, so maybe I just didn't have enough to need friction? Will it tell us when we're using friction on top of the regen so we can learn how to optimize?

If not, then the next best thing is the "Brake Coach" popup so you can at least see if you only used regen (100%) or used a combo (something <100%) of friction+regen. However, this only pops up in Engage drive mode and not Whisper or Unbridled. Is this what everyone else sees? I know on the F150 there was an "enable brake coach in Normal" but I don't see anything like that on the Mach E.

Thanks! I'm still learning (and searching) but information is very scattered and hard to get super specific data like this.
Brake coach is engage mode only.

It doesn’t tell you if you use friction, other than the brake coach not being 100%.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It doesn’t tell you if you use friction, other than the brake coach not being 100%.
And even the brake coach doesn't really seem to be measuring friction braking. From what I can tell, it's really just measuring how abruptly you stop, regardless of what type of braking the car uses. You can tell by putting it in Neutral before coming to a stop. In that case, you are using 100% friction braking but will still get a high Brake Coach score if you stop gradually.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
As someone who has owned hybrids since 2001 and always had this type of display, I was sad to see the Mach-E didn't have one. But I'm now happy since I found this thread and successfully implemented this mod in my Mar '22 built MME Premium AWD. Thanks OP!

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So happy to figure out how to do this today! It’s the one thing I missed from coming from my Chevy volt.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
alternatively, you can display actual power (kW), and whatever other sensor data you want directly to your phone with apps like CarScanner. I finally found a decent, inexpensive, phone holder to hold my phone between the instrument display and center console.

CarScanner has a fully configurable display 'dashboard' that you can customize to display whatever and whichever sensor data you want to see.

Yesterday was the first day I had it up and running.... I'm playing around with which sensors I watch, and noticed that battery temp hardly budges, secondary (front) motor and inverter temps rise a little under hard accell, but the primary inverter temp is highly reactive to load, but then also cools pretty fast. My guess is that temp may be indicative of what's displayed as the available power bar.

The primary inverter temp hangs out around ambient+20F when driving around town at slow speeds, and drops a little at steady highway speeds.... but quickly jumps up to 130F when accelerating hard (magically in about 5 seconds).... but then drops pretty fast, presumably would show power bars returning if I had them.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How To: Enable Power Meter on Non-GT Mach E 12 displaying CarScanner dashboard

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
alternatively, you can display actual power (kW), and whatever other sensor data you want directly to your phone with apps like CarScanner. I finally found a decent, inexpensive, phone holder to hold my phone between the instrument display and center console.

CarScanner has a fully configurable display 'dashboard' that you can customize to display whatever and whichever sensor data you want to see.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How To: Enable Power Meter on Non-GT Mach E 12 displaying CarScanner dashboard
There is something just WRONG with displaying the calm screen, then having another screen chock-full of data!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
There is something just WRONG with displaying the calm screen, then having another screen chock-full of data!
If I could cast my phone screen display from CarScanner App to the big screen..... I would. But, I don't know how or if it's possible ;)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If I could cast my phone screen display from CarScanner App to the big screen..... I would. But, I don't know how or if it's possible ;)
Well, if Apple did a better job with car play, you’d be able to I suppose 😉
Sponsored