sweekrut

First Name
Son
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I am planning to find hotels which has EV charging stations. Any idea how to find it during Long trip. So I can stay in hotel while my mach-e is charging overnight?
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Download the Plugshare app (free). There is a filter icon ... so you can filter for type of charger (e.g. Tesla, J1772, NEMA 14-50 outlet, etc. etc.) charge rate and so on. But one of the filter tick-boxes is "Lodging" and that will return a list of charges located either at hotels ... or sometimes it's a public charge located adjacent to a hotel.

Just a word of caution ... sometimes these places will have just one or two chargers and one of them might be a Tesla charger. So you might want to phone the hotel to make sure the charger is working and available to you if you stay there.

You can get a Tesla-Tap adapter to allow for charging off a Tesla destination charger (the type of charger a home-owner or hotel would have ... these don't work at Tesla DC Fast Chargers (aka "Super Chargers"). This would allow you to use a Tesla charger if that's the only thing available.

I'd also bring along your Ford Mobile Charger ... in case the only thing available is a NEMA 14-50 wall plug (there's a university near me that has a parking lot that is listed as an EV charging site ... it turns out it's just a NEMA 14-50 outlet so you'd have to bring your own mobile charger to be able to use it.)

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Download the Plugshare app (free). There is a filter icon ... so you can filter for type of charger (e.g. Tesla, J1772, NEMA 14-50 outlet, etc. etc.) charge rate and so on. But one of the filter tick-boxes is "Lodging" and that will return a list of charges located either at hotels ... or sometimes it's a public charge located adjacent to a hotel.

Just a word of caution ... sometimes these places will have just one or two chargers and one of them might be a Tesla charger. So you might want to phone the hotel to make sure the charger is working and available to you if you stay there.

You can get a Tesla-Tap adapter to allow for charging off a Tesla destination charger (the type of charger a home-owner or hotel would have ... these don't work at Tesla DC Fast Chargers (aka "Super Chargers"). This would allow you to use a Tesla charger if that's the only thing available.

I'd also bring along your Ford Mobile Charger ... in case the only thing available is a NEMA 14-50 wall plug (there's a university near me that has a parking lot that is listed as an EV charging site ... it turns out it's just a NEMA 14-50 outlet so you'd have to bring your own mobile charger to be able to use it.)
Thank You for this. I travel a lot for work but haven’t taken my MME because I didn’t realize the lodging filter existed in PlugShare. Now I can confirm that hotels in my area suck. ?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Here’s another tip: if you have a preferred hotel chain, and are not staying at one of their properties because of the charger situation, be sure to let them know, especially if you have status with the chain, such as Titanium with Marriott, or if you will be planning to travel to the area on a regular basis. For example, if you’re staying at the Hilton Garden Inn instead of the Courtyard across the street, even though you’re a Marriott Titanium, walk across the street to the Courtyard and politely let them know. (Or, you could stay at the courtyard and use the Hilton’s charger ?)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For a multi-night trip like our trips to FL and back, we ran the Ford Navigation software and figured out how far along the route we wanted to stop for the night. We then used PlugShare to find hotels with chargers in that area. In one case we went to downtown Raleigh for a hotel that was close to a city parking garage with free charging over night. In another we found a hotel across the street from a Starbucks that had two free chargers. In the other two, we found hotels with chargers on site. One was great and had two Tesla and two J-1772 chargers! All looked separately wired so they should be able to accommodate 4 cars charging at full speed.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Here’s another tip: if you have a preferred hotel chain, and are not staying at one of their properties because of the charger situation, be sure to let them know, especially if you have status with the chain, such as Titanium with Marriott, or if you will be planning to travel to the area on a regular basis. For example, if you’re staying at the Hilton Garden Inn instead of the Courtyard across the street, even though you’re a Marriott Titanium, walk across the street to the Courtyard and politely let them know. (Or, you could stay at the courtyard and use the Hilton’s charger ?)
I'm in the hotel business and working with my major brands to help another company expand their charging footprint. Intentionally vague, but know I see this as an opportunity. I'm looking at a few different options including requiring new builds to have them.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm in the hotel business and working with my major brands to help another company expand their charging footprint. Intentionally vague, but know I see this as an opportunity. I'm looking at a few different options including requiring new builds to have them.
PLEASE suggest putting the charging stations as far from the entrance as possible. I've seen so many reviews on plugshare that complain about the chargers being ICEd because they are at the prime spots near the entrance. I would much rather have to walk across the parking lot than not be able to charge

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
PLEASE suggest putting the charging stations as far from the entrance as possible. I've seen so many reviews on plugshare that complain about the chargers being ICEd because they are at the prime spots near the entrance. I would much rather have to walk across the parking lot than not be able to charge
Excellent point!

OP
OP
sweekrut

sweekrut

First Name
Son
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I noticed hotels.com has a ev charging filter to display hotels. You could cross check this with plugshare info.
FOR SOME REASONS i FEEL ITS NOT ACCURATE YET

OP
OP
sweekrut

sweekrut

First Name
Son
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag

I still don't see any hotels in plug share near Chicago Downtown.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Caution - we have found that in small towns especially, hotel chargers are inherently unreliable. When there is 1 or 2, it is common for 1 or both to be broken or inoperable. Always have a fast charge backup option within range if possible.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m Lifetime Titanium with Marriott and Diamond with Hilton (I used to travel WAY too much), so now that I own a Mustang Mach E, this is definitely something I’m whining about to Marriott (Hilton appears to have gotten the message).

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Go to the front desk and complain - LOUDLY! This is an amenity the hotel is providing. All guests are to provide their vehicle details on check in. If the hotel doesn’t have the vehicle details, point out that you are being unreasonably inconvenienced as a paying guest and were counting on that amenity as part of your trip, which is now going to be delayed unless said car is moved.
Sponsored