How to get Blue cruise in my MME?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
It still begs the question why they would release and activate BC to a group of people who haven’t signed up to provide feedback on the product before the general release. Or at least it does to me.

?‍♂
In addition to what @ChasingCoral said. Don't forget these are connected vehicles. They are regularly feeding data back to the Ford mothership.
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
It still begs the question why they would release and activate BC to a group of people who haven’t signed up to provide feedback on the product before the general release. Or at least it does to me.

?‍♂
One night suppose that the information which they seek feedback on may be more related to the purchase/OTA/install process then the actual functionality of BC... One might be wrong of course.... Or not

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
Because that is how they built the cars. Job 2 vehicles all come with BlueCruise installed. Ford said long ago they were going to do this. They also charge these buyers the $600 as part of the vehicle cost.

Ford is building it this way.
The customer is paying for it.
What is so hard to understand?
Exactly this. My canceled order that I placed on 5/15 already had the $600 upcharge for BC included in the price. The order I took over from forum member Illinibird did not so when the time comes I will gladly send Ford $600. They said 3rd quarter, we still have over a month to go until 3rd quarter ends

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Because that is how they built the cars. Job 2 vehicles all come with BlueCruise installed. Ford said long ago they were going to do this. They also charge these buyers the $600 as part of the vehicle cost.

Ford is building it this way.
The customer is paying for it.
What is so hard to understand?
Not sure exactly what your issue is with me, maybe it is just your personality.

GTs are being activate and able to fully use the software as it is today. This is a limited general availability or even a stable release. Early access is supposed to be at the beta/release candidate phase of software development (in theory anyway). All you have to do is read their purpose statement on the early access website login page.

Or perhaps @JCHLi is correct, and the early access feedback is more geared toward the OTA install/activation process than the actual product. Which I would be disappointed, but Ford will do what Ford does.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Exactly this. My canceled order that I placed on 5/15 already had the $600 upcharge for BC included in the price. The order I took over from forum member Illinibird did not so when the time comes I will gladly send Ford $600. They said 3rd quarter, we still have over a month to go until 3rd quarter ends
3rd quarter of what? Did they say 2021? Maybe they meant the Super Bowl ?‍♂ ;)

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
BlueCruise is expected to be switched on for anyone who chooses to subscribe ($600 for three years) in the "third calendar quarter". In the software world... anytime someone says something comes out in a calendar quarter ... they really mean it coms on the last day of the calendar quarter (Sept 30 ... or very close to that day.)

The early-access program allows those enrolled to get it a few weeks early. When I read the information (I am in the program and on the BlueCruise early-access but the feature is not yet enabled) it mentioned we would be asked to use it for four weeks ... and then complete a survey. Since we're just about at the 4-week limit already ... I would think this is something they would likely roll out to early-access users next week. I have NO insider-information on this one. This is my guess based on knowing they committed to delivering it by end of 3rd Qtr (not early access... but full roll-out) and since they wanted 4 weeks of early-access ... I'd expect it to roll out 4 weeks early.

ALSO ALSO... Ford does not push-out OTAs to the entire fleet on the same day. They have a gradual roll-out to make sure things don't go wrong. They push to company-owned cars first ... then they start pushing to consumer-owned cars in phases. Basically my take on this is ... if one consumer-owned Mach-E gets the full roll-out by Sept 30 then they met their commitment and the next cars would start to see the update appear in the weeks that follow. I am not at all confident that all consumer-owned Premiums and CA Rt 1's will have BlueCruise available for enrollment on Sept 30 (but maybe I'm wrong.)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not sure exactly what your issue is with me, maybe it is just your personality.

GTs are being activate and able to fully use the software as it is today. This is a limited general availability or even a stable release. Early access is supposed to be at the beta/release candidate phase of software development (in theory anyway). All you have to do is read their purpose statement on the early access website login page.

Or perhaps @JCHLi is correct, and the early access feedback is more geared toward the OTA install/activation process than the actual product. Which I would be disappointed, but Ford will do what Ford does.
The early access program has NEVER termed it as a BETA product; it is more a case of a limited release - think of it as a movie released to a few theaters in december (so it qualifies for the Oscars 2 months later), but released everywhere in january. Ford is doing the same thing so that they control the situation better if there is a major SNAFU. That feels like a responsible way to do it. They are starting with the cars coming off of the line because those cars had BC included in the price AND Ford techs can make sure the install goes properly without the added variable of OTA install issues.

People who have already PAID for the bluecruise are the first to try it out. That seems to make sense to me as well, and I am not one of those people. We'll all get our turn to have it; Ford is being cautious and that is a prudent stance for them to take.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
GTs are being activate and able to fully use the software as it is today.
<snip>
I am not sure this is accurate. I do not recall anyone who has taken delivery of a GT or GT-PE having stated that they are able to use Blue Cruise as of this point. Ford itself said that release of BC would be some time in the “third calendar quarter.”

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The early access program has NEVER termed it as a BETA product; it is more a case of a limited release - think of it as a movie released to a few theaters in december (so it qualifies for the Oscars 2 months later), but released everywhere in january. Ford is doing the same thing so that they control the situation better if there is a major SNAFU. That feels like a responsible way to do it. They are starting with the cars coming off of the line because those cars had BC included in the price AND Ford techs can make sure the install goes properly without the added variable of OTA install issues.

People who have already PAID for the bluecruise are the first to try it out. That seems to make sense to me as well, and I am not one of those people. We'll all get our turn to have it; Ford is being cautious and that is a prudent stance for them to take.
You’re playing a semantics game. Just because they don’t call it a beta doesn’t make it not a beta any more than calling a station wagon a Mustang makes it a Mustang.

to be clear, while I wish they had begun rolling BlueCruise out to early access vehicles soon after asking for volunteers, I am patiently waiting for them to do so. This isn’t something I want to see them rushed by an arbitrary deadline into releasing before it’s ready.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You’re playing a semantics game. Just because they don’t call it a beta doesn’t make it not a beta any more than calling a station wagon a Mustang makes it a Mustang.

to be clear, while I wish they had begun rolling BlueCruise out to early access vehicles soon after asking for volunteers, I am patiently waiting for them to do so. This isn’t something I want to see them rushed by an arbitrary deadline into releasing before it’s ready.
It may sound like a semantics game, but there is truly a distinction in the software business that has to do with quality control procedures. There's actually a whole industry around QC processes including ISO certifications, training, and of course expensive consulting. For a company like Ford those are very strictly followed. For a company like Tesla, well, those are too inconvenient to worry about.

Anyway, we both agree that it is best for Ford to take their time and get it right.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It may sound like a semantics game, but there is truly a distinction in the software business that has to do with quality control procedures. There's actually a whole industry around QC processes including ISO certifications, training, and of course expensive consulting. For a company like Ford those are very strictly followed. For a company like Tesla, well, those are too inconvenient to worry about.

Anyway, we both agree that it is best for Ford to take their time and get it right.
When Ford sent me the acceptance email for the BlueCruise early access program, they said the plan was for us to use the system for 2-3 weeks, then fill out a survey about the experience. That’s a beta program.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When Ford sent me the acceptance email for the BlueCruise early access program, they said the plan was for us to use the system for 2-3 weeks, then fill out a survey about the experience. That’s a beta program.
No it's not ?. If it is a beta program for something that can kill people you will likely have to first sign off on a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo, grant indemnifications, and promise to take the blame if something goes wrong. You typically also have to certify that you know it is "a work in progress" and not a "final released" product.

Trying something and filling out a survey afterward is not limited to beta programs.

** EDIT **
Going back to the development process I mentioned: Beta software is expected to be updated during the beta period to fix things that weren't seen in the company's testing process, so the "beta version" and "released version" are almost always different - in fact there are often many "beta" versions that incorporate fixes as the process unfolds. In the case of a released product that is in limited availability the expectation is that the software sent out in limited release will be the same as the general release. If there is a serious "show stopper" the process is halted and the cycle of internal test->beta->limited release will begin again. In the absence of a serious issue, the same software is given to everyone without change.

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The early access program has NEVER termed it as a BETA product; it is more a case of a limited release - think of it as a movie released to a few theaters in december (so it qualifies for the Oscars 2 months later), but released everywhere in january.
EAP has never been explicitly termed as a beta program, but the whole point of EAP was to allow a select group of customers to evaluate new features and provide feedback. Testing versus evaluating, your point is largely semantics. If the only point of EAP was to stagger the OTA updates, well Ford is already doing that.

Ford is doing the same thing so that they control the situation better if there is a major SNAFU. That feels like a responsible way to do it. They are starting with the cars coming off of the line because those cars had BC included in the price AND Ford techs can make sure the install goes properly without the added variable of OTA install issues.
Yes. Ford remains terrified of OTA updates, which is why over 6mos later they have yet to release a single substantive OTA update with real enhancements. The OTAs to date have been, frankly, pathetic. This is why the GTs are getting BC first - because Ford really only trusts major software upgrades to be installed locally.

Has nothing to do with payment. The GT owners paid for BC because they had no choice. Plenty of early adopters would happily pay for BC if given the opportunity. It isn’t a payment issue - it’s an issue with Ford being terrified of OTA updates.

Look, bottom line is that this is another OTA rollout SNAFU. There is no reasonable explanation for Ford to send out an EAP invite to BC a full month ago, and then crickets for the EAP while BC is rolling out on the GTs. For whatever reason (most likely “software is hard”), Ford simply cannot get major OTA updates working reliably yet.

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Can you post a snippet of that? I’m not finding it in my EAP BC email.
Sponsored