How to get youtube/netflix on the display?

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I stand corrected then 5x over! This is how I read their poor marketing page for Ford Streaming, where they mention the word YouTube *zero* times.

Still not sure it's worth $10/mo though, as it sounds like this only enables data for those apps on your screen and nothing else.
If you expand out each of the Key Features

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to get youtube/netflix  on the display? Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 1.25.18 PM

There really are quite a few additional features that don't involve granting internet access to the internal sync apps.

The other thing it does is enhance Alexa's abilities.

You can stream any song available on Amazon or Spotify, without having an Amazon Music or Spotify subscription. You also get access to any podcasts or audiobooks hosted by Amazon, again without having to pay for the Amazon subscription for those services.

It also enables more Alexa skills like games. I know on a recent road trip we got tired of music and asked Alexa to play a game. It kept us all distracted enough that the last hour of the drive flew by.

And I think your confusion stems from misreading this part that you quoted:
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to get youtube/netflix  on the display? Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 1.30.55 PM

I think you missed the "or".

There is also some value in the streaming just working. Not having to dig through menus to first connect to some wi-fi. You just start using YouTube.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to get youtube/netflix  on the display? Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 1.30.55 PM

There really are quite a few additional features that don't involve granting internet access to the internal sync apps.

You can stream any song available on Amazon or Spotify, without having an Amazon Music or Spotify subscription. You also get access to any podcasts or audiobooks hosted by Amazon, again without having to pay for the Amazon subscription for those services.

It also enables more Alexa skills like games. I know on a recent road trip we got tired of music and asked Alexa to play a game. It kept us all distracted enough that the last hour of the drive flew by.

There is also some value in the streaming just working. Not having to dig through menus to first connect to some wi-fi. You just start using YouTube.
They should hire you to write the marketing copy about the feature, because the page doesn't describe the benefits in the user-facing way you just did.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Still not worth it for me, however, as I already subscribe to a music service with plenty of voice assistant support. Not sure who would do this, yet wouldn't have some music service subcription on their phone already.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still not worth it for me, however, as I already subscribe to a music service with plenty of voice assistant support. Not sure who would do this, yet wouldn't have some music service subcription on their phone already.
The value is certainly subjective.

I am a subscriber and still not sure if it is worth it or not.

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
Ford’s description of its streaming services is indeed confusing. I find it easiest to think of it this way:
Ford Streaming allows you to use the vehicle cellular connection to stream data to the onboard apps (YT, NBC News, Alexa, Amazon Music, etc)
Vehicle Hotspot allows you to use the vehicle cell connection to stream data to your personal devices (ex: web browsing on your iPad)
Your personal phone hotspot and/or WiFi connection are alternative ways to stream data for the onboard apps rather than using Ford Streaming.

And all of this is of course entirely separate from Sirius/XM which uses a satellite connection and a unique subscription.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And all of this is of course entirely separate from Sirius/XM which uses a satellite connection and a unique subscription.
Except.....

When Sirius/XM uses the on board modem to stream content.

That is a feature of the 360L Sirius/XM radio in the MME.

But it is a feature built into the unique Siriux/XM subscription and no additional streaming or hotspot subscription is required.

It is all clear as mud.
Sponsored