How to Keep Headlight Lense Cover Clear and Not Cloudy / Milky ???

Lady Anne

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MACH-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Over the past couple of decades we’ve all had plastic/Lexan lense covers over our head lights. It seems that without fail they all turn milky looking and cease functioning as well as originally designed! Is there any kind of protective covering or UV shield that can be applied to provide a longer life for these expensive plastic covers?
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Over the past couple of decades we’ve all had plastic/Lexan lense covers over our head lights. It seems that without fail they all turn milky looking and cease functioning as well as originally designed! Is there any kind of protective covering or UV shield that can be applied to provide a longer life for these expensive plastic covers?
Good question.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My 2014 Fusion Energi’s plastic headlight lenses are more clear than my brother’s 2018 Fusion Energi’s. I waxed them on a semi-monthly basis with Slipstream Aircraft Wax. Unfortunately, this wax has been unobtanium for more than a decade. I’m sure any other high-quality non-abrasive wax will work as well. ??

Some people have been putting PPF on their headlights to prevent pitting. This might also help with UV degradation. ?‍♂?

The Quiet Man

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 MINI Cooper S, Grabber Blue Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Having a good time ?
Country flag
[/QUOTE

Try this link to XPel PPF. You can buy the film and install yourself, or go check for a shop that installs XPel in your area and have them install it for you. You may have to change some of the vehicle parameters to match YOUR MME. The kit for the headlamps costs around $60.

https://www.xpel.com/headlight-prot...r-Cars--AND--Light-Trucks/2021/Ford/Mach-E/GT

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Don’t use Lamin-x films. Had clear film on my other car and after a few years the film started to haze. Taking the film off left the hardened glue residue behind. Short of sanding the lenses nothing would remove the residue.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was buffing some touchup paint with rubbing compound and decided to see if it would clear up the milky headlights. It works like a charm! The degradation from UV light must not go too deep into the plastic because it cleared up almost, but not quite, like new.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My XPEL PPF was also put on the headlight lens. The older 3M film turns yellow after a while. Rubbing compound is a good solution if/when the plastic turns cloudy.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I had Xpel PPF put on my 2018 Tesla at time of delivery, including on the headlights. The car is now over 3 years old and the headlights look brand new. Just like with paint, the more robust the protection you have on the headlights, the less likely you are to have haze and oxidation over time. So at a minimum I would apply a sealant or wax, but if you want the most protection, I would go for PPF and then apply a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. If you have PPF and a ceramic coating, your headlights will look brand new for years.

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2006 Mustang GT, 2018 Buick Regal GS
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
My experience with cars and headlights is to simply wash the car once in a while. The only milky/foggy lenses I see are on cars where the owner never washes the car. No... rain does not count as washing. Washing the car regularly will keep the oxidation down. On my 2006 Mustang, there are a few minor scratches, but otherwise the headlights are crystal clear. I wash at least once a month and wax 2x a year.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
We sold our 2002 Tundra last year and I had kept the headlight lenses clear with a plastic cleaner used for motorcycle windshields, Plast-X.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
The best solution is not to park car in the sun. Cars that I parked in the garage retained the clear plastic much longer than those parked on the street. The same applies to the body paint.
Sponsored