Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My sample pool is about ten times smaller (only one car for about a year, and I didn't even know about these buttons for a few months), but the success rate is probably 80%
It is really strange how the same car can behave so differently
Agreed. I thought for sure it was a joke when people started saying that worked. But I know others have varying rates of success too.
Sponsored

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I believe that if you are not carrying your key or PAAK phone (perhaps phone not working or left inside the car), you have to enter your door keypad code first and then tap the lock icon (or hold 7-8 9-0).

There may be some timer-based logic too where within X minutes of having unlocked your car via keypad or key you can still lock your car on the keypad without putting in the code.

I havenā€™t methodically tested all these scenarios so please share if you find other tricks or limitations.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Pressing the key lock symbol works very well on my car. You just have to quickly tap it. It wonā€™t work if you keep your finger on it for any considerable length of time. It is convenient for those of us with kids since itā€™s on every door, not just the driverā€™s.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Walk away lock. Disable the lock sound (loud horn) in settings. Enable the visual (light flash). Just look for the mirrors to fold in. Iā€™ve been using it since I got it. Works great, unless you leave a fob in the car. Pick your kid up, close the door and walk away - magic.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If your fob or paak is within 3 ft of the door you can use the key symbol to lock the door. Otherwise activate the number pad on the pillar and press 7-8 and 9-0 at the same time. Both will lock the door.
This keypad on the door frame is a feature unique with Ford and Lincoln. So every new Ford or Lincoln vehicle will have it. Use it instead of the fob and lengthen the fob cell life. I use the keypad more than the fobs of my 2014 Fusion Hybrid and my fobs still have the factory installed lithium cell.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
good idea, but in my case, I get down first and then open rear door to get the toddler. (So I have to lock it from outside after getting the kid)
Then use the door frame keypad as described in several posts, pressing the 7-8 and 9-0 with two finger tips. If you cannot see the numbers, just press anywhere on the pad and it will illuminate.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
mmm I tried just now. appears to be not working.

I had the key with me, then I open the door, then I touch the lock symbol (on top of the button) - nothing, no sound of locking.

I left the key in the home came back to garage and press the door button it unlocks.

may be I am doing something wrong, or is there a setting, I will have to look
Go into your setting and activate "Walk away Lock" it locks automatically when you walk away from the car. As glitchy as this car can be that has been 100% rock solid in my 15 months of ownership.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
7/8 9/0 works everytime.
Well for some reason on mine it's pretty sketchy. The numbers light up everytime I touch them to let me know I'm making contact, but it can take 3-5 times for it to actually lock. So not sure what's going on there.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well for some reason on mine it's pretty sketchy. The numbers light up everytime I touch them to let me know I'm making contact, but it can take 3-5 times for it to actually lock. So not sure what's going on there.
Try getting the numbers to light up first, then touch and hold the appropriate numbers.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Try getting the numbers to light up first, then touch and hold the appropriate numbers.
Yeah, I've done that oo.

I swipe across the whole pillar until the lights come on and then touch the bottom two with two fingers...repeatedly.

And then I ultimately reach in my pocket and press the button on the fob.

I do have walk-away turned on...but what can I say? Trust issues.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
The only issue I've had with walk-away lock is that I now walk away without locking any car and that's not so great for my wife's car or a rental.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
This keypad on the door frame is a feature unique with Ford and Lincoln...Use it instead of the fob and lengthen the fob cell life.
People around here can be very meticulous about energy efficiency, but this may be a new world record!

Let's not forget about the energy required to lift your hand to the keypad and press the buttons. Add up those calories of energy, and the cost of the food required to produce that energy in your body will exceed the cost of early replacement of the car key battery.

Save the planet - use the key!
;)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
good idea, but in my case, I get down first and then open rear door to get the toddler. (So I have to lock it from outside after getting the kid)
Get out of the car, leave your door open. Open the back door where the toddler is, press the lock button on the inside of your door and close your door. Get the toddler out, close the back door and the doors will lock. If a door is open, after you press the lock doors on the inside, the doors will not lock until all the doors are closed.

Or just use the pillar code as @Kamuelaflyer has instructed.

I personally do not use or like walk away lock because it drives me crazy when I am for example washing the car and want it to remain unlocked.
Sponsored