First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Thanks.

A lot of people worry about battery anxiety when thinking about/switching to electric .... I tell you hwut, the update anxiety is 100x worse for me ;)

You'd think that there would be an option for those that just can't wait to be able to go in there and request updates ... it has to be a pretty small % of people that would ever be proactive about it, overall, so actually putting the power in our hands sure would go a long way to pacifying the crybabies <looks at self> around here.
Sponsored

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
is it normal for my car to be stuck on 3.5.4? that was installed in november around when everyone else got it. but since then i have not gotten 3.6.1-2, or 4.1.1-3. IIRC my build date was early august 2022.

i have checked that i have a schedule set, have automatic updates on, and my car has good wifi signal strength to my home’s wifi. i also tried turning the automatic update setting off and on, and cleared the schedule and recreated it.
3.6.1 is scheduled for update now. I see a bunch of others got it today as well.

Echostorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Prem MME x4
Occupation
Code Monkey
Country flag
Thanks.

A lot of people worry about battery anxiety when thinking about/switching to electric .... I tell you hwut, the update anxiety is 100x worse for me ;)

You'd think that there would be an option for those that just can't wait to be able to go in there and request updates ... it has to be a pretty small % of people that would ever be proactive about it, overall, so actually putting the power in our hands sure would go a long way to pacifying the crybabies <looks at self> around here.
My experience with owning an MME and not getting updates reminds me of the days of feature phones (pre iPhone and some overlap early on) and having to go into Verizon or ATT stores to get your phone updated.

Mr. Mach-E

First Name
Hey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
re-tired
Country flag
Still waiting for Blue Cruise and the Janury 2023 update. Phone calls made to no avail. Ford Motor provided all sorts of advice to have my vehicle download software. I am waiting for the next one to be “stand on the vehicle’s roof and rub my stomach and pat my head simultaneously for 10 seconds.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
@Jimrpa, now's your chance to talk them into giving you a frunk button on FP!!
I’m too lazy to do the search, but another poster already went down that dirt road and was told they’d never get the FordPass release button.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I’m too lazy to do the search, but another poster already went down that dirt road and was told they’d never get the FordPass release button.
They said that about a free second key, and this year I received a letter and was able to get a free second key.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Today i got the second ota in 1 month on my 2021 GTPE.

But it is the third time i got this one this year !
Ford what are you doing ?

Screenshot_20230517_130918_FordPass.jpg

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
I agree. I have all the boxes checked but haven't had any attempt at an update since Jan 18 and it was 4.1.1.
What's your "Check Updates" schedule?

Do you drive your car daily?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Never miss a software update!
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.

MORE INFO ADDED BY @flip at Bronco6G.com

Depending on the update the vehicle requires, there are two installation processes:

Driveable Updates
  • Some updates can complete seamlessly in the background. They replace a part of software without impacting the rest of the system
  • SYNC 4 Technology is fully functional while the update is downloading
  • If the Automatic Updates are On, a message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen informing the driver of the update and if Wi-Fi is required
  • If Automatic Updates are Off, a message will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen asking the driver to confirm the update and if Wi‑Fi is required
  • The update will automatically complete in the background. If consent or a Wi‑Fi connection is required, an icon will appear in the touchscreen's upper status bar
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the update or view details on the FordPass App or owner.ford.com
  • If the update fails or if Ford decides to revert to a previous software version, the system will go back to its previous version. Customers will be notified if the update fails, expires or is canceled in-vehicle
Non-driveable Updates
  • The majority of Ford Power-Up software updates will be considered non-driveable updates (parked with the ignition off). This means that the update will erase the system or module and replace it with the latest version of the software
  • The vehicle will not be driveable during this time and the update may take up to 45 minutes to complete. Any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when customers find it most convenient
  • When a recurring schedule is set, customers will receive an in-vehicle reminder notification at first key cycle within 24 hours of the update. The vehicle will display another notification two minutes before the update begins
  • Scheduling is required to ensure that the updates occur at a convenient time when the customer chooses and when the vehicle is not in use
    • If the vehicle is in use, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. Customers will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful
    • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during the updates
    • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the updates
  • Customers can also check the status of an update in their FordPass App or on owner.ford.com

Manual Update System Details
Non-driveable Updates
NOTE:
If Automatic Updates are Off, updates are not installed automatically and require the customer to review and approve each update. The vehicle may require important Ford Power-Up software updates, therefore, this method is not recommended.
  • When a new update is available, the customer will see an icon on the in-vehicle touchscreen status bar. To review the update, tap the icon for details to proceed
  • Once the update is reviewed, a notification will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen with information about how long the installation will take. After that, an "Update Ready Install" icon is accessible on the status bar
  • The driver can tap "Update" on the in-vehicle touchscreen to begin installation
  • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during non-driveable updates
  • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • If the updates were completed successfully, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen when the vehicle is restarted. The customer can click the notification icon to read details about the update

I turned auto-update ON, set recurring schedule to every day at 2am, and I got one update 7/18/23 to PowerUp v 3.5.2 .... and nothing since. My understanding is that the most current version is 4.x.x

so, my questions to @Ford Motor Company are:
1. why did my vehicle not update all the way to whatever the 'current' version is ?
2. when WILL it be updated to 'current' ?
3. when will Ford publish a version release history with reasonable details on specific bug fixes and enhancements included in each version ? this is just basic good practice for software development.

I just emailed these questions to: [email protected]
...and would encourage anyone who has similar concerns to do the same and petition for improvement to the OTA process and version control release notes.

Last edited:

Mark Hassa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Rapid Red Mach E Awd SR
Occupation
Food Inspector
Country flag
I turned auto-update ON, set recurring schedule to every day at 2am, and I got one update 7/18/23 to PowerUp v 3.5.2 .... and nothing since. My understanding is that the most current version is 4.x.x

so, my questions to @Ford Motor Company are:
1. why did my vehicle not update all the way to whatever the 'current' version is ?
2. when WILL it be updated to 'current' ?
3. when will Ford publish a version release history with reasonable details on specific bug fixes and enhancements included in each version ? this is just basic good practice for software development.
Part of your problem is setting your recurring schedule at 2am.
To save Mike G from having to explain again, I cut and pasted from a previous reply:

Just remember to set your "Check Updates" in Sync to "everyday" and a time when you know you'll be out driving in the car. Preferably 15 minutes after you've gotten underway to allow your 12V battery to charge back up so the logic will allow the check to go through. And your car will not download updates over your home Wi-Fi in the middle of the night regardless of what Ford says (or that little note in FordPass). Just so you know.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Part of your problem is setting your recurring schedule at 2am.
To save Mike G from having to explain again, I cut and pasted from a previous reply:

Just remember to set your "Check Updates" in Sync to "everyday" and a time when you know you'll be out driving in the car. Preferably 15 minutes after you've gotten underway to allow your 12V battery to charge back up so the logic will allow the check to go through. And your car will not download updates over your home Wi-Fi in the middle of the night regardless of what Ford says (or that little note in FordPass). Just so you know.
My car sits in my garage, connected to Wi-Fi, and is set to receive updates at 1:00 AM. I get updates, 4.3.5 overnight.
Sponsored