How to Open the Doors

quackideas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Legacy, Acura MDX
Country flag
As you can see, there are no obvious door handles visible on the exterior of the car, not even flush or pop-out varieties. Instead, there are simply buttons on the pillars. According to a Ford designer we spoke with, this is one of a few things done to help the Mustang Mach-E achieve a coefficient of drag (Cd) below 0.30. Ford hasn't given an exact number, but that puts in the same ballpark as other high-end electric crossovers such as Jaguar I-Pace (0.29 Cd), Audi E-Tron (0.28 Cd) and Tesla Model X (0.25 Cd). But he also noted they didn't do flush handles because they wanted to keep the flanks of the car as clean and clutter free as possible, meaning not even handle cut-outs. As for making the doors easy to open, the front doors have small, black, wing-like grab handles. At the back, there are none, and the button pops the door out. There is an alcove inside the door as a place to grab the door. It's positioned fairly low so that kids can reach it more easily.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/18/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-has-unique-styling/
Sponsored

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I like the idea of the push button to open the door. It seems a lot easier when holding my kids trying to put them in the car.

OP
OP

quackideas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Legacy, Acura MDX
Country flag
I've see people comment that the Audi eTron has a very slight delay when opening the doors from the interior which runs counter-intuitive to pulling a lever and pushing the door open at the same time. Certainly not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping these doors do not suffer the same issue.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
I like the idea of the push button to open the door. It seems a lot easier when holding my kids trying to put them in the car.
I just pull on the handle and my car opens.... push button doesn't open the door, you still have to do that regardless...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
I've see people comment that the Audi eTron has a very slight delay when opening the doors from the interior which runs counter-intuitive to pulling a lever and pushing the door open at the same time. Certainly not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping these doors do not suffer the same issue.
There should always be a mechanical unlock & open from interior. One pull to unlock, the second to open...

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I just pull on the handle and my car opens.... push button doesn't open the door, you still have to do that regardless...
I do that as well. When you have a crazy toddler or two in your arms, it makes getting a door handle a little more difficult.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I do that as well. When you have a crazy toddler or two in your arms, it makes getting a door handle a little more difficult.
Just place said crazy toddler in the frunk ;). All joking aside on the top gear video it states the little grab handle on the front doors was added later due to feed back so it still ended up wil door handles lol. It did also mention using a normal key or your phone and that the touch pad was the back up so hopefully I comes with a normal keyless ford key.

The designers wanted a clean door vs flush handles not sure all the extra expense was worth it guess will have to try it and see. As long as opening the door from inside it simple I hate auto locking doors so always deactivate that so hopefully I can do that and also that the mach-e doesn't have the same issues as the e-tron with its double pull nonsense.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
If it works as advertised that will be great it does make for a sleek looking car
Sponsored