mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am bringing this thread back up to the top of the active threads, because I think many new MME owners who have joined since this post have not seen this. @Administrator, this is definitely worth highlighting again.

I think this procedure should be done every 12 months to keep your LVB fully conditioned. Probably this should be done on ICE vehicles as well. In any case, if you are somewhat handy, do this every 12 months. And do this shortly after you receive your MME to ensure your LVB is ready to go.

Tonight I started the following process as @Mach-Lee described. The last time I did it was about 12 months ago. I am using an adjustable power supply, not a charger. So I am manually managing the voltage to follow the process Lee describes.

I am going to apply 14.5V to the LVB until the current drops below 1 Amp (or I am ready to go to bed) and then switch it to 13.6 V. All as Lee described below.

This is so simple, and it should be done by all of us.

"Set your supply to 14.5V at max amps and let it charge in CC (bulk stage). Check on it every hour and try to make a note of when it switches to CV at 14.5V (absorption mode). You can leave it at 14.5V timed for up to 6 hours, or monitor the current drop. When the current drops below 1A or 6 hours have elapsed, lower the voltage to 13.6V (float mode) and let it sit for as long as you can. The battery is done desulfating when the float current stops decreasing. This could take a day or several weeks. A battery in great shape will have a float current less than 0.1% of its C rating (<35 mA for the Mach-E 35 Ah battery). For comparison, I had an AGM sitting around at 75% SoC that hadn’t been charged for a year or two, it took about 5 days of floating to reach a current minimum. Last little bit is very slow.

A note on temperature, the above voltages are for standard 25ÂșC/77ÂșF conditions. If it’s significantly hotter or colder than that in your garage you should adjust the voltage some. This is called temperature compensation, the adjustment constant is -0.024 V/ÂșC difference from 25ÂșC. So at 35ÂșC/95ÂșF your absorption voltage should be 14.26V. Do not exceed 15.2V in cold temps to avoid gassing. If at any time you hear high-pitched squeaking/farting noises coming from the battery, immediately reduce voltage as venting is occurring.

The below test was performed on a brand new BHAGM-H3 battery that appears to be about 6 months old, arrived at 12.83V (95% SoC). Power supply set at 13.60V, a current minimum of 14 mA was reached after about 24 hours maintenance charging as you can see below. Older or sulfated batteries will take longer than 24 hours to reach current minimum. The open circuit voltage after sitting 24 hours was 13.08V. The battery was then capacity tested and produced 43 Ah (35 Ah rated). "
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am bringing this thread back up to the top of the active threads, because I think many new MME owners who have joined since this post have not seen this. @Administrator, this is definitely worth highlighting again.

I think this procedure should be done every 12 months to keep your LVB fully conditioned. Probably this should be done on ICE vehicles as well. In any case, if you are somewhat handy, do this every 12 months. And do this shortly after you receive your MME to ensure your LVB is ready to go.

Tonight I started the following process as @Mach-Lee described. The last time I did it was about 12 months ago. I am using an adjustable power supply, not a charger. So I am manually managing the voltage to follow the process Lee describes.

I am going to apply 14.5V to the LVB until the current drops below 1 Amp (or I am ready to go to bed) and then switch it to 13.6 V. All as Lee described below.

This is so simple, and it should be done by all of us.

"Set your supply to 14.5V at max amps and let it charge in CC (bulk stage). Check on it every hour and try to make a note of when it switches to CV at 14.5V (absorption mode). You can leave it at 14.5V timed for up to 6 hours, or monitor the current drop. When the current drops below 1A or 6 hours have elapsed, lower the voltage to 13.6V (float mode) and let it sit for as long as you can.
virtually the same thing can be done with no external charger or power supply by:
- turning your MME on (starts charging LV at 14+v)
- disable auto-off Setting
- leave your MME 'on' overnight

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
virtually the same thing can be done with no external charger or power supply by:
The thing is, will it be as robust as the external power supply method? I am not convinced. Maybe so, but the control freak in me wants to ensure I apply the exact voltage for the proper amount of time to fully recondition the LVB.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The thing is, will it be as robust as the external power supply method? I am not convinced. Maybe so, but the control freak in me wants to ensure I apply the exact voltage for the proper amount of time to fully recondition the LVB.

I would bet that the on-board charger extracting energy from HV to charge the LV 12v battery has optimal charge curves designed in the firmware. Giving the system overnight to complete a 12v charge cycle *should* be as good or better than controlling manually with external power supply.

This approach is good either way to desulfate AGM that may not have TIME to get fully charged if you take only short trips.... Leaving the MME 'on' for 24 hrs is like having the 12 on an external charger for 24 hrs, and knowing that its using 'factory' charge curve.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would bet that the on-board charger extracting energy from HV to charge the LV 12v battery has optimal charge curves designed in the firmware. Giving the system overnight to complete a 12v charge cycle *should* be as good or better than controlling manually with external power supply.

This approach is good either way to desulfate AGM that may not have TIME to get fully charged if you take only short trips.... Leaving the MME 'on' for 24 hrs is like having the 12 on an external charger for 24 hrs, and knowing that its using 'factory' charge curve.
I agree. But still. Do I trust Ford's software, or my manual process?

Both! If you drive for a long period of time, isn't that the same as what you are suggesting? I do long drives, and I am manually reconditioning my battery.

Not trying to be argumentative. I really think manually executing the process as Lee described is the best way to ensure my LVB is fully conditioned.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I agree. But still. Do I trust Ford's software, or my manual process?

Both! If you drive for a long period of time, isn't that the same as what you are suggesting? I do long drives, and I am manually reconditioning my battery.

Not trying to be argumentative. I really think manually executing the process as Lee described is the best way to ensure my LVB is fully conditioned.
It probably won't hurt anything to do both. I was just pointing out for people that don't happen to have an external power supply or a really good charger, that an alternative exists which will probably accomplish very nearly the same thing just by leaving the car on overnight

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It probably won't hurt anything to do both. I was just pointing out for people that don't happen to have an external power supply or a really good charger, that an alternative exists which will probably accomplish very nearly the same thing just by leaving the car on overnight
Excellent advice. Thanks Dan.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The Mach-E charging strategy will drop the voltage down to like 12.8V once the SoC hits somewhere above 90%. That's too low for further desulfation to occur. So leaving the car on many hours will fully charge the battery, but won't fully desulfate it. You need an external battery charger or power supply to properly desulfate.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-E charging strategy will drop the voltage down to like 12.8V once the SoC hits somewhere above 90%. That's too low for further desulfation to occur. So leaving the car on many hours will fully charge the battery, but won't fully desulfate it. You need an external battery charger or power supply to properly desulfate.
Will a c-tek trickle maintenance charger do the trick ?

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Will a c-tek trickle maintenance charger do the trick ?
I'm not sure, the CTEK may stop charging when the battery is full.

Also, you shouldn't use the desulfate mode on it, the voltage is too aggressive IMO.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Also, you shouldn't use the desulfate mode on it, the voltage is too aggressive IMO.
I normally leave it on auto for my other cars and yes I think it stops when full and then trickles on and off . Have to look how often it does that.

edit:

Normal- Mode 14.4V - Normal setting for wet batteries, maintenance free and for most Gel batteries. Some Gel batteries prefer a slightly lower charging volt- age. Please consult the battery manufacturer when in doubt.
Other- Mode 14.7V - This setting is recommended for a battery at temperatures < 41°F. It is also recommended for many AGM batteries like Optima, and Odysseys. Consult your battery manufacturer when in doubt.

it also has recond. Mode which charges at 15.7 volts

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I started the battery at 14.5 V and checked again about 2 hours later. The current was zero. So I turned it down to 13.6 and of course the current stayed at zero. I will take it off the power supply in the morning. Seems like it is pretty healthy to behave like that. Am I interpreting it correctly?

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I started the battery at 14.5 V and checked again about 2 hours later. The current was zero. So I turned it down to 13.6 and of course the current stayed at zero. I will take it off the power supply in the morning. Seems like it is pretty healthy to behave like that. Am I interpreting it correctly?
What's your measurement precision? Single milliamps? You're done once the current is below 20 mA.

When you drop the voltage it takes a few minutes for the surface charge to dissipate and the milliamps to pick back up again.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's your measurement precision? Single milliamps? You're done once the current is below 20 mA.

When you drop the voltage it takes a few minutes for the surface charge to dissipate and the milliamps to pick back up again.
My power supply only shows 1/10 of an Amp, so I cannot see anything less than 100 mA (I assume 0.06A will show up as 0.1 Amps, so technically I will know if the current is above 0.05 Amps).

I will just let it sit for a while at 00.0 Amps and see what it looks like in the morning.

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
For those of us who are not engineers, when say turn the MME on, is that just the auxiliary mode or full on?
I’ve had the LVB fault 2 days in a row. I want to try this.
Also, I have departure times set, but don’t hook up to a charger overnight. Will that cause this “fault?”
Sponsored