Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previous, Maserati Granturismo. MV Brutale RR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi, anyone got the workshop manual details on how to remove the tailgate window spoiler/stop light?
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I don't but be aware that the bolts holding the spoiler on are considered "one time use." When my Mach-E was repaired after an accident, one of the hold ups was waiting for those bolts. I think there were 8 of them.

(At least this is what the repair shop told me.)

OP
OP
Marcho

Marcho

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks guys. Perfect instructions and good to point out about the 'single use bolts'. Called my dealer to order them and as Patrick said "these are on back order and may be 2-3 weeks"
Good job I'm not in a hurry....

OP
OP
Marcho

Marcho

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone managed to find a way to remove the 5 large single use bolts that hold the spoiler on? I can turn them but whatever they are screwed into on the spoiler just turns and the bolts don't unscrew! Is there some trick to removing them?

Boot spoiler bolts.jpg

SPNM

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT AWD
Country flag
After doing this job myself, here's the "trick:"

Unscrew them as SLOWLY as you possibly can. Unscrew them more slowly than any bolt or screw you've ever unscrewed in your life. They are retained inside the spoiler by threaded metal bushings that are simply pushed sideways into the spoiler plastic. Once they spin, you're scr3wed.

How I know: I had 3 spin on me... had to drill them out. I'm actually in the middle of the job, now, and plan to use some epoxy to hold the metal bushings in place before I reassemble the thing. Also, the blue threadlocker used on these bolts is VERY strong... way too strong for this application. I plan to reuse the bolts I did manage to get out, and to remove a bit of the threadlocker from the new ones I'm using to replace the ones I cut.

May I ask why folks are removing their spoilers? Myself, I'm trying to track down a bad rattle in the rear.

Also, thanks to breeves002 for posting these instructions. Very helpful. My vehicle is a Sept 2022 build, and my spoiler did not have the upper spoiler retainer clips (only the lower ones) shown in step 4. Other than that, and some muscle required to "slide" the spoiler off, and the issue with the bolts spinning, the instructions were spot on.

OP
OP
Marcho

Marcho

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was going to carbon fiber coat my rear spoiler but had to give up as screws just spun and couldn't remove them. Very frustrating.

SPNM

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT AWD
Country flag
I know what you mean. I was sweating pretty badly ... this is my wife's car and I wasn't looking forward to explaining it to her.

The way I got the bolts out was to hold the bolt head with a small vise-grip plier while drilling the head off with a 1/4" bit, then after that, drilling down through the body of the bolt with a very sharp, strong 3/16" bit. Luckily, the bolt didn't spin when drilling it with the 3/16" bit. Once I got the bolt as short as I could, I pulled the spoiler off and then was able to get the remains of the drilled bolts out with a 16mm wrench on the bushing and vise-grip pliers on the bolt.

MAN, that threadlocker is strong.
Sponsored