How to - see/capture actual HV voltage/current datastream to calculate power in kW

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I really wanted to see what the actual max output and max regen Power (in kW) values are for my MME.... I have a Select AWD, with Standard Range battery, and I have had a hard time finding any documentation on actual output/regen power.

The good news is there are (probably several) free or low cost phone apps that are capable of extracting and displaying this data. All you need is a 'decent' ODB2 adaptor to read the data, and an App to display it.

I found a free easy to use App to download/install 'Car Scanner ELM ODB2'
...and will gladly upgrade to the addless version for $6 just to say thanks to the developer and hope for more EV-specific development

It seems to work well with a Viecar BT ODB2 adaptor I bought (for $25)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTKSCEJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?
.... I went with the BT so I could just leave it plugged into the OBD2 port all the time, and not have wires to phone.

The nice this about this app is you can pick which sensor datastreams you want to display, and even customize how you want to display. Unfortunately, no way to use a formula to combine the voltage and current to get direct display of kW..... but maybe if enough of us get the app, and ask for it?!

I am including a screenshot, which captures the data I really wanted.

- resting battery voltage, gives me a good idea what 'end of charge' highest voltage will be, and what maximum 'sag' voltage will be under max load... so I can see how sag changes with cold, or over time as batteries age.

for Select-AWD-SR, in unbridled 1-p drive mode
resting HV = 365.5 vDC
max current x min voltage = max output power = 190kW
max regen x max voltage = max regen power = -82kW

I'd LOVE to see actual numbers for other configurations of other owner cars, just to see! Post'em here!

CS use 04 showing max kW.jpg
Sponsored

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Slightly disappointed its not 1.21 Gigawatts, but what can you do?

Would definitely be interested in the addition of the kW calculated for us. Would love to see what other data it'll show, and for a whooping $32 for app and ODB I might pick them up once I get my MME. Good find

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Slightly disappointed its not 1.21 Gigawatts, but what can you do?

Would definitely be interested in the addition of the kW calculated for us. Would love to see what other data it'll show, and for a whooping $32 for app and ODB I might pick them up once I get my MME. Good find

most of the standard ODB2 fields are for ICE sensors... but I would imagine as time goes on there will be an emerging standard for some of the other sensor data. There are a couple other areas in the App I have not explored. one in particular is capable of capturing accurate 0-20, 0-40, 0-60,0-80, 0-100 times..... I might just have to test that out
Sponsored