How to start Mach-e without FOB or PAAK?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Slide into the seat to see no key detected. Spend a couple minutes hoping the prompt shows up on the screen.
I would not recommend “waiting and hoping” as good troubleshooting steps.
:p
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I would not recommend “waiting and hoping” as good troubleshooting steps.
:p
You are correct. It’s too cold for waiting and hoping. I’d be doing the get in, get out, push start button, hold brake. Push start again. Open door. Hokey pokey routine trying to get the prompt to show up. If nothing else the mild calisthenics would generate some heat.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford made a video that shows the difficulties some may realize:

OP
OP
Ken Josing

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone actually got the Mach-E moving without the FOB or PaaK using codes ??????????

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anyone actually got the Mach-E moving without the FOB or PaaK using codes ??????????
Yes. Quite a few people have used the passcode. For others, it's problematic to get to the prompt for it. With this vehicle, there are so many variables (OTA update versions, dealer module updates, phone model and OS, etc.) that it makes the technology iffy at times for many. If I was going to rely on the passcode, or PaaK, I would carry my fob in a farady bag or similar for a long period and ensure I had no issues. Given the alternative is simply carrying the fob and having no issues, ...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes. I do it all the time. Normally on weekends when I need to move the car so I can get another one out of the garage. (My MME parks outside in the driveway...)

My fob is inside the house and of course PaaK doesn't work so I use the door pillar code to enter the car and then the backup start code to drive the car whenever.

Your car isn't bringing up the backup start code. Not sure what the fix is. Might need some modules recalibrated. Your dealer should be able to do that for you under warranty.

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
I assume it's possible. First I entered the 5 digit factory given number into the door. Once in I got the screen active, but I was unable to put the 8 digit password in. Tried and tried with no success. I read the help in the owner's manual nothing. It made some reference to a 10 digit code, no idea what that's about and again where to put it if I had it.
Did you try hitting the start button with your foot on the brake multiple times? Sometimes it takes 3-5 tries (pausing between tries), before the car displays the password prompt. I’ve done this many times and it always works. Make sure your PAAK shows it’s still set up in Fordpass. If it is you will see a second set of buttons under the Start button. If it’s not, you will see a message and button labeled “Set Up Phone As A Key”

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Did you try hitting the start button with your foot on the brake multiple times?
It works much better without the foot on the brake, in my few tests it worked every time.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It works much better without the foot on the brake, in my few tests it worked every time.
Now that's interesting, since the foot off the brake should just turn on Accessory mode... ?

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Now that's interesting, since the foot off the brake should just turn on Accessory mode... ?
It did, and prompted that key was not found. I waited for the screen to boot up, pressed the button again to turn it off, and on next press it prompted about the key again, I pressed OK on the wheel, and password dialog appeared on the screen.

Maybe if I pressed OK on the first prompt it would be enough, I'll go and try again :)

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
Yes, I have on a couple of occasions.

The first time was right after I did the backup code setup, to test that it really worked. (did not have my phone or fob anywhere near the car.) The door code and the start code worked as advertised.

The next couple of times was when I needed to move the car out of the garage and did not have my phone on me (the wife keeps the fob). It was not locked, but the start code thing came up as expected and it worked. I may have had to try the start button more than once, I don't remember. But once the prompt came up it took my password just fine.

I do have issues with the car seeing my phone though. I have found that if I open the app and use the unlock button, it will recognize my phone after that.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Maybe if I pressed OK on the first prompt it would be enough, I'll go and try again
Confirmed - without the key and the phone, pressing the "Start" button without the brake pedal and then OK on the steering wheel opens the password dialog (after an attempt to connect to Android Auto, maybe about 10 sec. )

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yes I’ve used it but I’ve noticed that once apple CarPlay connects the prompt goes away.
It’s funny how CarPlay will connect, but the MME won’t recognize PAAK

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It’s funny how CarPlay will connect, but the MME won’t recognize PAAK
There’s a couple factors at play. Paak tried to measure the distance of your device using the Bluetooth connection (which is not accurate), if it thinks it’s too far it won’t activate. This is why people say to place the phone bellow the screen, personally holding it in my hand while pushing the button works great.
Paak is also authenticated by the fordpass app. Sometimes you might need to force quit the app and reload it.
Sponsored