breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Until Ford add's some kind of way for us to view things such as charging rate, power consumed, and power regen, FORScan is our only solution. Disclaimer: Use software connected to your car at your own risk. While FORScan is generally very safe, be careful and don't do anything stupid. Just reading data will never damage your car. Changing programming (with extended license) or controlling systems can cause them to operate in ways they were not designed to operate.

Unfortunately as of today the current test build does not show battery current. It will show charger current so you can see that info as well as battery voltage - but you can't see how much power is coming in or out of the battery while driving yet. FORScan lite (phone app) isn't updated to work with Mach-E yet. That is also coming.

Test build download here. It works properly, just does not have all PIDs yet. http://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.39.test20210310.exe - Note: this link may die at any time if they release a new beta. Most likely at that time the current release supports the Mach-E from their website.

This is not a priority for the FORScan team because lets be honest - this is an uncommon vehicle as of now. They're working hard on the new F150 among others.

Here is a quick FORScan guide I did not write but a good business associate of mine did http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573 - this is a thread on modifying as built data. I wouldn't modify the as built data but just use the initial connecting information. There really isn't much info on what we can do modifying as built in this car yet. You do not need the extended license to view live data.

This is my recommended OBD adapter: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...d=1&keywords=obdlink+mx&qid=1615477827&sr=8-2

This is my second recommended if you don't mind or want USB: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-F...d=1&keywords=obdlink+ex&qid=1615477856&sr=8-2

Lastly if you're cheap you can get this you just have to flip the switch: https://www.amazon.com/VINT-TT55502...?dchild=1&keywords=vint&qid=1615477896&sr=8-1

You will need a WINDOWS installation to use FORScan. It will work in a VM or bootcamp on a Mac, but must be windows OS.

If you don't feel like reading the FORScan guide, simply connect to the car, save your profile, then go to the little oscilloscope tab. At the bottom you can click the wrench, select the module you want, then add PIDs to monitor. Hit play when the car is on and it will come alive.

Here is the list of modules in the Mach-E (at least in mine). Note: CAN-FD is new for Ford and is a flexible data rate CAN bus. Historically HS-CAN is fixed at 500kbps and MS-CAN is fixed at 128kbps.

CAN-FD
-PCM - Powertrain Control Module
-SOBDMC - Secondary OBD Control Module C
-SODR - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Right (blindspot sensor)
-SODL - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Left (blindspot sensor)
-CMR - Camera Module Rear (I think this is actually the driver alert camera on the steering column)
-CCM - Cruise Control Module
-ABS - Antilock Brakes
-PSCM - Power Steering
-IPMA - Image Processing Module A (windshield camera, and all cameras as there is no IPMB like older Fords have)
-SODCMD - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module D
-SODCMC - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module C (not sure what these are, but not related to blind spot)

HS-CAN
-SOBDMB - Secondary OBD Control Module B
-BECM - Battery Energy Control Module
-SOBDM - Secondary OBD Control Module (on board battery charger)
-OBD II - PCM but what talks to emissions testing computers
-ACCM - Air conditioning Control Module
-PACM - Pedestrian Alert Control Module (outside of car speakers/backup dinger)
-DCDC - DC to DC Converter (12v battery charger/alternator)
-BdyCM - Body Control Module
-BECMB - Battery Energy Control Module B
-GWM - Gateway Module A (like a network switch to combine all networks together)
-OBCC - Off-Board Charger Control (to control DC Fast charging)
-BCMC - Body Control Module C

HS-CAN 2
-OCS - Occupant Classification System (passenger seat weight sensor)
-RCM - Restraint Control Module (airbag computer)
-GSM - Gear Shift Module
-SCCM - Steering column control module

HS-CAN 3
APIM- Accessory Protocol Interface Module (Sync 4 module)
DSP- (Audio) Digital Signal Processing Module (B&O amplifier)
ACM - Audio Control Module (non-B&O amplifier - though all cars are equipped. This is the radio tuner and SXM tuner)
WACM - Wireless Accessory Charging Module (wireless phone charger)
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster

HS-CAN 4
TCU - Telematic Control Unit (cellular connection)
RFA - Remote Function Actuator (PAAK and key fob detection)

MS-CAN
DCMH - Door Control Module H
DCMG - Door Control Module G
DCME - Door Control Module E
DCMF - Door Control Module F (these control the electric door latch)
DDM - Drivers Door Module (controls windows/locks)
PDM - Passenger Door Module
GFM - Generic Function Module (controls various generic things like electric front trunk release)
RGTM - Rear Gate/Trunk Module
DSM - Driver Seat Module (memory seats)
HVAC - Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (Heater and interior fans/doors)
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
-SODCMD - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module D
-SODCMC - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module C (not sure what these are, but not related to blind spot)
could these be for rear cross-traffic alert? ?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just FYI, They have moved these releases of Forscan to be able to download by request only.
They ask that you agree that you've read the documentation and everything before they give the link. This software can re-program modules in the vehicle and if you do it wrong can completely brick your vehicle.

Just a heads up for anyone using this app that it can be very powerful and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Staying in the area where the OP mentioned where you can read the data stream you will be fine though.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
could these be for rear cross-traffic alert? ?
No, the SODR and SODL do both CTA and BLIS. These are likely for the hands free driving (and maybe hands free lane changes) coming up later this year.

Edit: Here is the system diagram. It shows that the other modules are there but in the reviewing of the system operation no where does it mention them. It just says the SODR and SODL are used for BLIS/CTA like previous Ford vehicles. The SODBMC/D seem to be the same exact modules just in different positions but I can't say for sure.

What I did find interesting is how they have their own FD-CAN bus that goes from the 4 modules to the IPMA. It appears the IPMA this time around is very different than previous vehicles and does a lot of the self driving processing. Previously the SODR/L would go elsewhere on MS-CAN or another bus. Also they'd go directly to the mirrors to turn the light on. Now the door modules control that via CAN. Historically on Ford's the IPMA is in the windshield and is the camera itself. Now the camera goes to a very large box in the rear of the vehicle that has 4 camera inputs and a ton of other wires. It appears they combined the IPMA and IPMB into the same single module too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to use FORScan to View Mach-E Live Data (Charge Rate, Battery Current, etc) 1615489373320

Just FYI, They have moved these releases of Forscan to be able to download by request only.
They ask that you agree that you've read the documentation and everything before they give the link. This software can re-program modules in the vehicle and if you do it wrong can completely brick your vehicle.

Just a heads up for anyone using this app that it can be very powerful and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Staying in the area where the OP mentioned where you can read the data stream you will be fine though.
This is the standard FORScan beta. It is just unreleased. This is not the beta that is for reprogramming module firmware. It has the normal as built (with extended license) modification that all FORScan releases have.

You are correct however. Just stick to reading the data stream and don't control anything and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No, the SODR and SODL do both CTA and BLIS. These are likely for the hands free driving (and maybe hands free lane changes) coming up later this year.
interesting.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Edit: Here is the system diagram. It shows that the other modules are there but in the reviewing of the system operation no where does it mention them. It just says the SODR and SODL are used for BLIS/CTA like previous Ford vehicles. The SODBMC/D seem to be the same exact modules just in different positions but I can't say for sure.

What I did find interesting is how they have their own FD-CAN bus that goes from the 4 modules to the IPMA. It appears the IPMA this time around is very different than previous vehicles and does a lot of the self driving processing. Previously the SODR/L would go elsewhere on MS-CAN or another bus. Also they'd go directly to the mirrors to turn the light on. Now the door modules control that via CAN. Historically on Ford's the IPMA is in the windshield and is the camera itself. Now the camera goes to a very large box in the rear of the vehicle that has 4 camera inputs and a ton of other wires. It appears they combined the IPMA and IPMB into the same single module too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to use FORScan to View Mach-E Live Data (Charge Rate, Battery Current, etc) 1615489373320

This is the standard FORScan beta. It is just unreleased. This is not the beta that is for reprogramming module firmware. It has the normal as built (with extended license) modification that all FORScan releases have.

You are correct however. Just stick to reading the data stream and don't control anything and you'll be fine.
Ah Ok, good to know because this is the version they sent me in the PM thread where they've sent me the other beta's with the module programming. I didn't realize this one didn't include that.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hopefully these get updated to the phone app at some point. I'm not that interested in modifying as just reading the PIDs here.

I'd love to set up a "Advanced" dashboard and mount an old Android phone next to the gauge cluster with more data than we're given.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Hopefully these get updated to the phone app at some point. I'm not that interested in modifying as just reading the PIDs here.

I'd love to set up a "Advanced" dashboard and mount an old Android phone next to the gauge cluster with more data than we're given.
They told me they will be updating the phone app eventually, but it could be a few months as it isn't a huge priority for them.

I've done that before with old android phones I've had to monitor PIDs. It worked great in my Focus Electric.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
They told me they will be updating the phone app eventually, but it could be a few months as it isn't a huge priority for them.

I've done that before with old android phones I've had to monitor PIDs. It worked great in my Focus Electric.
I'm thinking I'll get a suction cup mount and stick it to the backside of the center screen, so it can have the phone "between" the screen and the instrument panel, and I've got an older Android phone that no longer gets security updates so I don't connect it to networks anymore and it's just collecting dust - could have that in Airplane Mode but with Bluetooth on, use it for that "Advanced" dashboard, and data logger on longer trips. Leave it there, sneak a USB cable behind the screen and down to the USB port under the screen.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Awesome. At least these PIDs were identified. Can we somehow extract them and/or use the same PUDs in the Torque app to monitor these same parameters? It should be possible.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Awesome. At least these PIDs were identified. Can we somehow extract them and/or use the same PUDs in the Torque app to monitor these same parameters? It should be possible.
I haven’t used torque in years but I don’t believe it supports other can busses and modules so I doubt it will be able to connect to the BECM to view that data. The PCM doesn’t do a whole lot anymore.

FORScan has an android app they’ll be updating to support it soon.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I haven’t used torque in years but I don’t believe it supports other can busses and modules so I doubt it will be able to connect to the BECM to view that data. The PCM doesn’t do a whole lot anymore.

FORScan has an android app they’ll be updating to support it soon.
Torque permits you to enter in or import "Custom PIDs" , so that's where I was going with it. I think it should be able to, with the right PIDs.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Torque permits you to enter in or import "Custom PIDs" , so that's where I was going with it. I think it should be able to, with the right PIDs.
I understand but I think Torque only connects to one module. It won’t be able to connect to the BECM to even look at those PIDs. I could be wrong.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Anyone tried to configure a second fob using this? Or the risk to mess things up is too big yet? Ebay has MME fobs for $99.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Anyone tried to configure a second fob using this? Or the risk to mess things up is too big yet? Ebay has MME fobs for $99.
It isn't supported yet and likely won't be supported in the near future (if at all).
Sponsored