Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Until Ford add's some kind of way for us to view things such as charging rate, power consumed, and power regen, FORScan is our only solution.

Unfortunately as of today the current test build does not show battery current. It will show charger current so you can see that info as well as battery voltage - but you can't see how much power is coming in or out of the battery while driving yet. FORScan lite (phone app) isn't updated to work with Mach-E yet. That is also coming.

Test build download here. It works properly, just does not have all PIDs yet.

SO COOL!
I'm very excited about this. I don't want to change any programming of anything, I just want to display data-stream for actual traction pack voltage, and current output/regen.... and even better if I could display Volts/amps and calculate kW

so.... I will definately watch for news of the appropriate PIDs being available !
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
SO COOL!
I'm very excited about this. I don't want to change any programming of anything, I just want to display data-stream for actual traction pack voltage, and current output/regen.... and even better if I could display Volts/amps and calculate kW

so.... I will definately watch for news of the appropriate PIDs being available !
'Car Scanner ELM ODB2' can display pack voltage and current, but not combined programatically to show kW..... yet.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rging-speed-and-regen.5479/page-2#post-160581

CS use 03 display volts-amps.jpg

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The real holy grail will be continuous data extraction. I'm planning to start a project soon using a bluetooth OBD dongle to a Raspberry Pi to collect data using Python, which in theory there is an OBD python library. If anyone else is interested or has experience there (especially with identifying the PIDs or using Python-OBD libraries) shoot me a PM

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The real holy grail will be continuous data extraction. I'm planning to start a project soon using a bluetooth OBD dongle to a Raspberry Pi to collect data using Python, which in theory there is an OBD python library. If anyone else is interested or has experience there (especially with identifying the PIDs or using Python-OBD libraries) shoot me a PM

The CarScanner app has most of this done.... the 'dashboard' is pretty easy to configure with any sensors the OBD2 can see. It displays the datastream pretty much real time with a good sample rate.

It would be NICE and more accurate to multiplu volts x amps to display actual kW, but continuous display of current is possible 'out of the box' with the app as is... which enables me to see what I wanted to see for now. I wanted to see actual charge current, end of charge voltage, max regen current, and max output current.

I'd love to see Ford put actual kW right on the dashboard, above or below the Range-o-meter.... but the CarScanner is pretty sweet for now.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The CarScanner app has most of this done.... the 'dashboard' is pretty easy to configure with any sensors the OBD2 can see. It displays the datastream pretty much real time with a good sample rate.

It would be NICE and more accurate to multiplu volts x amps to display actual kW, but continuous display of current is possible 'out of the box' with the app as is... which enables me to see what I wanted to see for now. I wanted to see actual charge current, end of charge voltage, max regen current, and max output current.

I'd love to see Ford put actual kW right on the dashboard, above or below the Range-o-meter.... but the CarScanner is pretty sweet for now.
So, the point of my project will be to get data out of the car. I actually don't care about displaying it in the car, my phone sits on the wireless charging pad. My goal is data collection for overall trends and also for ingesting data into A Better Route Planner

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So, the point of my project will be to get data out of the car. I actually don't care about displaying it in the car, my phone sits on the wireless charging pad. My goal is data collection for overall trends and also for ingesting data into A Better Route Planner
aha

.... the CarScanner has a whole section on recording the data and export, but I didn't even look in there since I'm after live display datastreams. You might wanna take a look before you go to all the trouble of writing your own.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
The EVNotify app integrates with ABRP already, the problem is that is does not seem to work with MME yet.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Part of the idea behind what I'm planning is that it will always be available, because the car has a hotspot, and I don't have to run anything on my phone and data can flow regardless if my phone is in the car or not

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Part of the idea behind what I'm planning is that it will always be available, because the car has a hotspot, and I don't have to run anything on my phone and data can flow regardless if my phone is in the car or not
That's nice, please keep us posted :). There are some free APIs to connect to ODB, but it would require some work.
I could not find a good justification on why to pay $200 a year for the hotspot. If they added a video streaming for use while charging, or option to check on the MME cameras while you are away. That would make sense.

Bamboozle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e sr awd
Country flag
Have anyone figured out yet how to go from 4 to ex 7 blinks with the turnsignal?
Did this on my mondeo vignale and I really miss it on my mme

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
It isn't supported yet and likely won't be supported in the near future (if at all).
I agree. You can configure a third key directly in the car, but the second you need to go to a dealer.

I tried a locksmith and he tried programming a second key for me. He had to access a Ford system in order to download something to do that programming and they did not make that available to the locksmith at the time (back in March).

I still got the key from eBay and paid the $69 fee to the dealer to have it programmed.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've been working with the Forscan Team to get the app more compatible with the Mach E. Currently at version 2.4.5 Beta 2 (released 12/1/21)
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19552

There is currently one known issue:
known issue with Mach-E HCM - it freezes on first connect when FORScan performs full scan (all module numbers, supported PIDs etc).

Every time you initially connect with no profile, it will lock up the first time trying to read the HCM module. If you force close the app, and re-launch, and connect, it will work fine, but won't discover the HCM module.

Changing AsBuilt vaules on the IPC module was failing, that is now fixed. Although the options I've tried changing, haven't actually done anything yet. There are some options for virtual gauges I tried to enable but nothing happened, but the changes to successfully write.

I've been testing Module updates. So far I've focused on the RFA module since it doesn't take too long to flash. The procedure completes, but on a re-scan it doesn't show the new version numbers. But going into the actual module programming shows the correct versions. So not 100% its working fully but appears to just be a bug in how it detects what version is running on first scan.

Module updates are very much at your own risk with Forscan. Especially in these early stages working out bugs. But as of now the current versions of some of the modules firmware are available to download and flash with forscan.

This is where they are with Module Updates on this version:

We have added these updates to FORScan database. Please note FDRS requires to update powertrain modules (PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, BECM) at once (so if you update PCM, you have to upgrade other 4 modules).
- Powertrain modules (PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, BECM).
- RFA module
- GSM module

Last edited:
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I've been working with the Forscan Team to get the app more compatible with the Mach E. Currently at version 2.4.5 Beta 2 (released 12/1/21)

known issue with Mach-E HCM - it freezes on first connect when FORScan performs full scan (all module numbers, supported PIDs etc).

Every time you initially connect with no profile, it will lock up the first time trying to read the HCM module. If you force close the app, and re-launch, and connect, it will work fine, but won't discover the HCM module.

Changing AsBuilt vaules on the IPC module was failing, that is now fixed. Although the options I've tried changing, haven't actually done anything yet. There are some options for virtual gauges I tried to enable but nothing happened, but the changes to successfully write.

I've been testing Module updates. So far I've focused on the RFA module since it doesn't take too long to flash. The procedure completes, but on a re-scan it doesn't show the new version numbers. But going into the actual module programming shows the correct versions. So not 100% its working fully but appears to just be a bug in how it detects what version is running on first scan.

Module updates are very much at your own risk with Forscan. Especially in these early stages working out bugs. But as of now the current versions of some of the modules firmware are available to download and flash with forscan.

We have added these updates to FORScan database. Please note FDRS requires to update powertrain modules (PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, BECM) at once (so if you update PCM, you have to upgrade other 4 modules).
- RFA module
- GSM module
Thanks Ben.

One big note to people - DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

- RFA module
- GSM module
Will these module updates allow us to start using the new charging curve (higher charge rate after 80%) and more battery capacity (91 kWh)? Those two updates alone would be worth the cost and effort required.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Will these module updates allow us to start using the new charging curve (higher charge rate after 80%) and more battery capacity (91 kWh)? Those two updates alone would be worth the cost and effort required.
I'm not sure which version adds that. Once we know which version it is, I could tell you yes or no. Most of these updates are from GT models that don't have that update available yet.
Sponsored