RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Blower first. Ring out, wipe more, then dry.
Sponsored

OP
OP
joebruin77

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
This looks like an ad
Lol….I don’t blame you for thinking that. But I am a long time forum member. I like to “spread the word” to inform people about how awesome rinseless washes are, given how much water they save. Also, there are a lot of horrible car care products on the market, so I like to share which products I have tried and can attest to based on my personal experience.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Great.
How do you clean the undercarriage?
any thing other than water, and even water alone, will affect paint
assume no PPF or ceramics for paint protection
unless you clean every day or multiple times/day, the dust/debris alone will affect the paint

OP
OP
joebruin77

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great.
How do you clean the undercarriage?
any thing other than water, and even water alone, will affect paint
assume no PPF or ceramics for paint protection
unless you clean every day or multiple times/day, the dust/debris alone will affect the paint
Since I don’t live in an area with cold winters and road salt, I don’t need to wash the under carriage. If I did, Ryobi makes a cool hose attachment with wheels that you roll under the car. It shoots water up to clean under the car.

This 20-minute Rinseless wash is meant to be a quick maintenance wash. I agree you need to protect the paint with a wax, sealant, or ceramic coating. In my case, my MME has Griot’s Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax as its main paint protection.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Every so often, I see posts with questions about the best way to wash your MME. Just thought I would share my preferred car wash routine for my 2022 MME GTPE. Total wash time is 20 minutes using 3-4 gallons of water.

I basically do a rinsless wash using ONR or P and S Absolute. Materials used:

-Two buckets, each with a grit guard, 1.5-2 gallons of water, and 1-2 ounces of ONR.
-A Chapin 1-gallon garden sprayer, with 1 ounce of ONR mixed with 3/4 gallon of water. (I bought my garden sprayer at Home Depot).
-The "Gauntlet" drying towel from The Rag Company (my favorite drying towel on the market)
-Xtreme Solutions Topper (a ceramic-infused topper which I use as a drying aid, also my favorite on the market).
-Griots Garage Microfiber Wash Pad

I start at the top of the car and work my way down. If there is noticeable dirt or dust in the section I am working on, I first use the garden sprayer to pretreat the area by spraying it down with the ONR solution, let it dwell for 30 sec, and then do the normal rinseless wash. One bucket is my "rinse" bucket and the other is my "wash" bucket. Some people think using a two bucket with ONR is not necessary, but I think it is a good idea to further reduce the risks of inducing swirls.

After I wash a section with the ONR and wash pad, I then spray 1-2 sprays of Topper, and then dry with the Gauntlet towel. Topper adds a lot of slickness, gloss, and a boost of protection as you dry. I have tried at least 10 different drying aids and Topper is my absolute favorite.

Here is how she looks after her "bath":

IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4689.jpg

For those of you interested, here are links to the products I used:

NR2010-500x500newformula.jpg

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine - New Formula!
Try No Rinse Wash & Shine 8oz* RISK FREE with FREE SHIPPING and a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! Optimum No Rinse™ Wash &a
fevicol%20icon.png
optimumcarcare.com

Project42.png

Absolute Rinseless Wash
Absolute Rinseless wash was formulated from the ground up as a premium soap alternative. Utilizing a unique subset of polymers. Absolute encapsulates and emulsifies dirt beyond what soap is capable of. Water is instantly softened upon mixture of Absolute, thus reducing chances of hard water...
PNS_Logo_96x.png
psdetailproducts.com

the-gauntlet-drying-towel-main-web_1200x1200.jpg

The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company
The perfect choice for drying your vehicle quickly and safely drawing moisture away from the surface into the patented twist/plush fibers of the towel. absolutely one of the most absorbent towels by weight that we have ever tested (10x+). 70/30 blend, 900gsm, and "ButterSoft" Suede Microfiber...
20_copy_9db0c7b3-da09-4b98-99f4-d4c042f7d3b3_32x32.png
theragcompany.com

DC9ED20A-892A-495D-A31C-C5957A6B5359.png

Xtreme Solutions
Topper™ - Top Coat Lubricant & Protectant is the ultimate “topper” available on the market today! Silica infused, Topper brings unparalleled hyper-slickness, gloss and a mirror-like reflection! Topper™ is detergent resistant and uses cross-linking polymers to protect your vehicle’s top coat.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How to wash your Mach-E at home in just 20 minutes using 3-4 gallons of water {filename}
www.877askxtreme.com

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to wash your Mach-E at home in just 20 minutes using 3-4 gallons of water {filename}

Microfiber Wash Pads, Set of 2
Super-soft microfiber wash pads are safe and gentle on your paint. 8" x 10" in a 2 pack. Machine washable.
www.griotsgarage.com
I use a very similar process, with slightly different products:

McKee's n-914 instead of ONR, and I use this to measure: syringe
Rag company ultra black foam sponge
LSP: alternate between P&S Dream Maker and TW graphene flex wax
Double twistress drying towel

My latest addition, which I find to be much more effective than the classic grit guard:

Chemical Guys Cyclone Dirt Trap

I was skeptical, but ultimately very impressed with how well this keeps the solution clean. It's more of an issue with McKee's, as ONR seems to do a better job pulling the dirt to the bottom of the bucket on its own.

How do you only use two towels? I probably use two big waffle weave towels and 10 of the Costco ones
The higher end twisted loop drying towels are in another league of absorbency. When I use a drying aid spray, a single 20x24 inch towel does the trick for me, folded into quarters and flipped every panel or so. Occasionally I use a blower to remove some of the water if I am preparing a topper, but it isn't necessary just for drying.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I wash my car towels in this (to keep chemicals away from clothes): Portable washing machine

Also, when using a towel to dry the car, one way to get more mileage out of a single towel is to maintain a good hydrophobic layer, start by drying the sides, saving the roof and windshield for last since they tend to load up the towel. Maybe hit the roof and hood with a quick blast from the blower before starting, though that might not accomplish much unless they are hydrophobic.

A few words about avoiding swirls. The idea behind the rinseless wash products (ONR, McKees, P&S, etc.) is that they are formulated to lift and emulsify dirt, provide additional lubricity for contact, and soften water. It's similar in function to soap, but unlike soap, it's intended to stay on the surface during the drying process, and even provides some lubricity there as well.

I haven't done any formal studies on these properties, but like @joebruin77, after a few years of experimentation, I feel it's safe enough. Any improper wash technique can scratch up a car, whether rinseless or traditional.

For a daily driver with proper technique, rinseless can be great. Maybe you've heard of Pan the Organizer, one of the most popular detailers on YouTube. He has created videos demonstrating rinseless on his extremely pampered Porsche dream car.

Last edited:

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I use a handheld blower to just blow the water off 🌬
Thank you, this right here! The more you Dry, wipe, or just touch your car the more swirls you will get. I dump a few gallons of reclaimed dehumidifier water on it to remove potential water spots and then blow it off. Done and no unnecessary wiping or or towel contact.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
“reclaimed dehumidifier water”
Waiting on coffee to brew this morning. I read that as “dehumidified water” and thought “what kinda cockamamie bullshit are people trying to sell us on now?🤣

my reading ability will increase in about 10 minutes. Promise. ☕

RickJ21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Will definitely try JoeBruin's method for washing thanks for the info. Any recommendations for dust? I know it's inevitable but there has to be a way to slow the process.

OP
OP
joebruin77

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will definitely try JoeBruin's method for washing thanks for the info. Any recommendations for dust? I know it's inevitable but there has to be a way to slow the process.
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "Dust happens"!

Dust is frustrating. Unfortunately, you can't really avoid it all together. There are some car care products that some people claim attract more dust. For example, here is a post on Autogeekonline.net where someone documented how Beadmaker (a popular spray sealant) may attract more dust:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/129872-beadmaker-50-50-dust-test.html

This is what I recommend to keep dust to a minimum:

1) Make sure your paint is protected with a good quality wax, sealant, or ceramic coating.
2) Wash your car at least once a week to get rid of dirt, dust, and other contaminants.
3) Use a good quality detail spray or waterless wash between car washes wipe away dust. Be sure to use soft and clean microfiber towels to reduce the chances of inducing any scratches.

If you are looking for a good ceramic detail spray, I highly recommend:

Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray

Right now, Amazon has a gallon of the stuff for under $40:

https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8GBHTS

RickJ21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for recommendation
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "Dust happens"!

Dust is frustrating. Unfortunately, you can't really avoid it all together. There are some car care products that some people claim attract more dust. For example, here is a post on Autogeekonline.net where someone documented how Beadmaker (a popular spray sealant) may attract more dust:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/129872-beadmaker-50-50-dust-test.html

This is what I recommend to keep dust to a minimum:

1) Make sure your paint is protected with a good quality wax, sealant, or ceramic coating.
2) Wash your car at least once a week to get rid of dirt, dust, and other contaminants.
3) Use a good quality detail spray or waterless wash between car washes wipe away dust. Be sure to use soft and clean microfiber towels to reduce the chances of inducing any scratches.

If you are looking for a good ceramic detail spray, I highly recommend:

Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray

Right now, Amazon has a gallon of the stuff for under $40:

https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8GBHTS
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely look into it. Guess it's part of the curse for having a black car.

OP
OP
joebruin77

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for recommendation

Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely look into it. Guess it's part of the curse for having a black car.
Yep, black looks awesome but is the hardest color to keep clean and swirl free. Personally, I would recommend getting a ceramic coating and using a ceramic detail spray like the Technicians Choice to keep it clean between washes.

Last edited:

RickJ21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, black looks awesome but is the hardest color to keep clean and swirl free. Personally, I would recommend getting a ceramic coating and using a ceramic detail spray like the Technicians Choice to keep it clean between washes.
Will do. How much do those run for? And do you know since it's a new car, does it need paint correction to get rid of the swirls? Or will a wax suffice?

OP
OP
joebruin77

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will do. How much do those run for? And do you know since it's a new car, does it need paint correction to get rid of the swirls? Or will a wax suffice?

To determine if it needs a paint correction and/or polishing prior to the application of a ceramic coating, park your MME in bright sunlight and walk around the car. You should be able to spot any swirl marks, marring, or other imperfections in the paint. If you see any, then you should have the paint corrected and/or polished. Because a ceramic coating is "semi-permanent", it will "lock in" any imperfections in the paint that are not corrected or polished out.

You can apply a consumer-grade, DIY consumer coating yourself. A great entry-level DIY coating is Gyeon CanCoat Evo, which costs around $60. This coating will last around 12-18 months. Or you could have a professional coating installed. Depending on the amount of correction/polishing and other prep work needed, a good quality professional coating can run $1,200 to $2,500. There are some professional coatings that claim to last 7+ years.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I always worry about scratches... without rising the car off first... thankfully, my shops have ionized pressure washers... so, you literally wash it outside and it won't water spot... and they use less water than a convention hose. I'm open to feedback.

Jeff

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
The only way to remove swirls is hand polishing and wax... When polishing the machine is turning causing the swirls... If you change the direction, with hand polishing it will eventually go away... also, swirls are scratches you can't see with the naked eye... Our shops use a 3 stage process on black cars.... and you have to rinse the car off after every stage... first stage wool pad with an abrasive compound, 2nd stage black foam pad and less abrasive compound and final stage is a blue pad and the 3M polish is blue...it's called finesse... it's takes pro and lots of time.
Sponsored