How will Ford get over ‘Range Anxiety’

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
i'm not so sure the PEAK will be 150kWh. If Tesla is going higher and EA has chargers with a Peak of 350 kWh, then can we speculate that new development is on-going and with production not slated until October 2020, an uptick in the Peak kWh numbers is possible.
I'm pretty sure the Mustang Mach-E ER will allow a peak at or very near 150kW. I would not be surprised if Ford is using the same components as Audi for their e-tron since they are both using LG Chem for batteries.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I'm not so sure this Peak limit is due to hardware. I would think it is more software related as Tesla was.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
That would sure be nice, but I'm doubtful that will happen for the 2021's. We've been told that the reason production is capped at 50,000 for the 2021 model year is limited availability of the batteries. Which suggests to me that they're struggling just to crank out the existing battery design and formulation, let alone have the time and resources to implement a new design yet.

Tesla is just years ahead in the battery game, especially energy density. Not sure how long they'll maintain that head start and when the others will finally catch up, but I'm doubtful it will be this year. Hope I'm wrong though.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-batteries-best-range-explained-auto-experts/
The 50,000 battery limit may be due to: Ford is unsure of demand-it could also be related to a ramp up of LG improved battery cell energy density and efficiency.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The 50,000 battery limit may be due to: Ford is unsure of demand-it could also be related to a ramp up of LG improved battery cell energy density and efficiency.
LG Chem is supplying most non-Tesla OEMs these days and from what I've seen so far with the Bolt EV, doing a good job. The Bolt EV's pack degradation is superior to Tesla's and without doing anything, the energy density is improved by 10% in 2020 over the 2017 version.
Sponsored