How will Ford get over ‘Range Anxiety’

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Eight digits, starting with 1 ending with 4 - whatever that means. I ordered rwd Premium standard range, we do mostly in city (Las Vegas) driving, max 60 miles a day, with Star White outside, black inside - wife's choices.
Nice! Congrats on the reservation. Hopefully it pans out. If the speculation is right, we're pushing 28000 reservations a year in advance of release. That's not Tesla #s but it's nearly 60% of the first year's production capacity. That's with zero test drives. Imagine once it is in the wild and in owners driveways, it'll take off like a rocket.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
What was your approximate reservation #? I'm curious as to how many they've accumulated so far.
My reservation # 10011825. I believe it's 11825 in line for the first year. Ford says they can manufacture 50K only the first year due to battery limitation.

glmus

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
Thanks James. We added solar panels to our roof. I was told that almost filled our electrical box and box may need to be replaced/expanded - maybe $2k. I have a year plus to figure it out. My current Leaf tech says that the batteries love slow charges. The Mach EV seems to have everything I want. I think the Y is missing the blind spot light warning and doesn’t have the 360 degree view. Worse case, I could get a new Leaf in 4/21 when my lease runs out. Thanks again.
LATER: I did more thinking about the 3mph on a 120. We are retired so don't drive a lot, about 6000 miles a year. The latest we usually would plug in is 3PM and the earliest we would unplug is 8AM. That's 17 hours or about 50 miles. We reserved a standard range, thus, we would likely plug in when we get to 150/200 miles of charge (we currently get 150 miles on a fill on our 2018 Leaf). Since we don't go out every day, we would likely be filled in 2 days. We are not only frugal, but, as I mentioned, batteries love slow charges. Bottom line, 3 mph charge will be fine for us.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I might be doing bad math, but I believe it’s more than that. The 240 volt charger supposedly gets you 22 mph. Times that by 12 and you get 264 miles added in a 12 hour period.
It can be more than that. It also depends upon the amps of the outlet. A 240 volt 20A outlet will not charge as many miles per hour as a 40A outlet. Then again, the actual charger is inside the car. The size/capability of this charger will effect the miles per hour of charging. My C-Max Energi has a puny 3.3kWh charger and can only obtain 10-12 miles per hour of charging regardless of what 240 V amp outlet.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this also form the Ford web site
Finding a Charge is Easy
Chances are you drive within the blue areas. With over 20,000 charging stations in the U.S., a charger is likely less than 40 miles away* from you.
Using your location, check out the interactive map. To see the FordPass Charging Network charge points near you.
%20by%20County%20100219.png.renditions.extra-large.jpg
Close examination reveals that not all charging stations are DC fast/level 3. Not all stations are on the interstate or interstate exits.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
This is a good reference on "Time to complete a full charge in hours" and "Estimated miles range per miles of charge". Mach E has 300 miles of range for one model so 120volt (3-4amp) charging will take days to complete the full charge (0-300miles). I recommend the 240v outlet installed (I have 2 in my garage for my Model S) in your home/garage and it will make your life a lot easier.

https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-con...Charge-Times-Chart-20171208_Final_Low-Res.pdf

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not all Tesla's were limited to 32A max level 2 charging rates.

The newer charging cords do limit it to this level.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Not all Tesla's were limited to 32A max level 2 charging rates.

The newer charging cords do limit it to this level.
That's correct. Depending on the Tesla models which they use different batteries, older Model S uses 18650 and Model 3 uses 2170 which is a little more efficient. The charging rate (mph) will be different. Mine can be charged up to 40A with 50A circuit breaker. Some Tesla cas be charged up to 48A with 60A circuit breaker.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
I recommend the 240v outlet installed (I have 2 in my garage for my Model S) in your home/garage and it will make your life a lot easier.
I have a L2 installed and agree with this, especially if you're constantly doing 20+ mile trips daily.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
One of the bad designs from my Model S is the 12v battery. You need Tesla tech to do it by ripping the front trunk panel (protective panel) apart and slowly remove all the gadgets around the battery before you can replace it. I just went through the 3rd replacement. It is costly. From Ford Q/A, they said the 12v battery is "Under the hood, towards the back on one side." I hope this is an easy access that people like me can replace it.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
One of the bad designs from my Model S is the 12v battery. You need Tesla tech to do it by ripping the front trunk panel (protective panel) apart and slowly remove all the gadgets around the battery before you can replace it. I just went through the 3rd replacement. It is costly. From Ford Q/A, they said the 12v battery is "Under the hood, towards the back on one side." I hope this is an easy access that people like me can replace it.
It's the same for the Energi, instead of a quick 5-10 min job, it took me an hour to replace the tiny 12v in the CMax. Honestly, I think this is how Ford and others will keep their dealership service dept happy!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I had a VERY long discussion with EV America to try and understand the long distance aspect. After getting through all of their legal stuff it came down to the average EV car uses their middle tier which is 75-150 at about 0.69 cents per minute and a $1.00 connection fee. so if my furst edition with 270 mile capacity is totally dead the cost would be as follows. they said 9 miles per minute. 270/9=30 minutes of charging. 30 X 0.69 + $1.00= $21.70 for a complete fill up. I many be wrong but I am assuming that a 220V home charger is about the same at 9 miles per minute. If so the difference is at least with PG&E in California at a rate of 0.14 which is a non tier EV car rate only at night would be 30X 0.14 = $4.20 for a full charge. OBVIOUSLY I COULD BE WRONG. if SOMEONE CAN VERIFY THE MATH THEN THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I did verify the math with EV America so I know that is solid.

larryjwhite

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity
Country flag
I had a VERY long discussion with EV America to try and understand the long distance aspect. After getting through all of their legal stuff it came down to the average EV car uses their middle tier which is 75-150 at about 0.69 cents per minute and a $1.00 connection fee. so if my furst edition with 270 mile capacity is totally dead the cost would be as follows. they said 9 miles per minute. 270/9=30 minutes of charging. 30 X 0.69 + $1.00= $21.70 for a complete fill up. I many be wrong but I am assuming that a 220V home charger is about the same at 9 miles per minute. If so the difference is at least with PG&E in California at a rate of 0.14 which is a non tier EV car rate only at night would be 30X 0.14 = $4.20 for a full charge. OBVIOUSLY I COULD BE WRONG. if SOMEONE CAN VERIFY THE MATH THEN THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I did verify the math with EV America so I know that is solid.
If you are charging at home with 120 volts it charges at 3 miles per HOUR so 90 hours to charge the car at 14 cents per KWH .14 x 90KWH (useable) = $12.60
If you are using the mobile charger at 240 volts it charges at 22 miles per Hour so 12 hours to charge and will cost the same $12.60
If you have installed the 48 amp wall charger it will charge at 32 miles per Hour it will take 8.4 hours still costing the same $12.60
Ford will pay for Pass+ service on Electrify America for 2 years and that plan doesn't have the $1 session charge and costs 60 cents per minute so 30 X .6 = $18
So you will pay $5.40 more than charging at home but it will only take 30 minutes.
For me the convenience outweighs the additional cost. Electrify America with their 150KWH and 350KWH charges are the speed champions.
You could go to other companies that max charge at 50KWH and they might be cheaper but would take at least twice as long.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
If you are charging at home with 120 volts it charges at 3 miles per HOUR so 90 hours to charge the car at 14 cents per KWH .14 x 90KWH (useable) = $12.60
If you are using the mobile charger at 240 volts it charges at 22 miles per Hour so 12 hours to charge and will cost the same $12.60
If you have installed the 48 amp wall charger it will charge at 32 miles per Hour it will take 8.4 hours still costing the same $12.60
Ford will pay for Pass+ service on Electrify America for 2 years and that plan doesn't have the $1 session charge and costs 60 cents per minute so 30 X .6 = $18
So you will pay $5.40 more than charging at home but it will only take 30 minutes.
For me the convenience outweighs the additional cost. Electrify America with their 150KWH and 350KWH charges are the speed champions.
You could go to other companies that max charge at 50KWH and they might be cheaper but would take at least twice as long.

You are THE Bomb!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

larryjwhite

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity
Country flag
You are THE Bomb!!!! Thanks!!!!!!
Bye the way, I don't think the 30 minutes for the full charge Electrify America (EA) gave you is correct. I have read elsewhere that it will take about 45 minutes to get to 80% with Electrify America. The last 20% usually takes about as long as the first 80% which is why you won't usually charge to 100% unless you need that much to get to the next charger on a long trip.
They might know the actual charging curve for the Mach-E since they are partnering with Ford but I'm pretty sure it can't charge that fast. Max rate is 150KWH and you probably only see that for a few minutes if you start charging at about 10% charge.
One last tidbit, currently EA Pass+ rates for 125KWH and up are 90 cents per minute which would be $27 for 30 minutes. A lot more expensive.
Hopefully, by the time we get our Mach-E's they will change their rate structure so it Is only 60 cents per minute.
Sponsored

Last edited: