HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So.... when I first got my MME I had a problem w Display heating up and going black when I parked or drove facing South. I had the screen replaced (under warranty) and it pretty much was ok except for occasional wonky display and slow response. I was going to just use some double-sided tape and solar screening to shade the screen back, but decided to try the phone holder/tray organizer from @AOSK , which for under $30 was promising.
https://www.amazon.com/AOSKonology-Rotatable-Dashboard-Compatible-Accessories/dp/B09V7MNJGC?

Turned out that the position of the phone holder was a bit high for clear view, and fit too tight to back of console for any airflow.... so I've documented the mods I did to enable better phone position AND airflow.

The bonus is that I can FINALLY display the data I want to see for real-time power output/regen, and whatever else you might want to display on your phone, or use your phone as a dashcam.....

details on how to set up the CarScanner dashboard to display what you want are at:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rging-speed-and-regen.5479/page-2#post-160581

or

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gen-charging-and-other-data.33211/post-744964

Here are the pix:

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 00 HatShade

the hat worked.... but, I caught a lot of flak from my wife, and didn't have a way to display what I wanted from CarScanner since the phone app doesn't display on AndroidAuto.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 01 AOSK ph too high

stock phone holder was too high... phone obscured vision

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 02 need a slot to fli

simple mod to cut a slot in phone holder enables installing the arm 'upside down' to lower the phone by several inches

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 03 make a slot

cut a slot.....

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 04 install flipped

enables mounting upside down for lower phone position

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 05 compare diff

by maybe 2" or 3".... just enough!

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 06 mo betta

good enough to be mostly below the hood, and still have the phone camera lenses exposed above the holder for a quick 'dashcam', access to phone side buttons, and display of apps that won't cast to the center screen.... like CarScanner. Finally, a way to display output/regen power in actual kW!

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 07

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 08

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 09

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 10

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 11

maybe future versions of this unit will incorporate these mods? It would be very slick if this accessory design could include these features out-of-the-box.... How about it @AOSK ? Even better if you send me a tiiiiiiny royalty on units sold with these mods ? ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 12 displaying CarScanner dashboard

and the final result is GREAT!

solves several things.... blocks sun from back of monitor, has a good phone holder position, AND enables custom display of whatever you can put up on your phone.... including CarScanner data from the ODB2.

The CarScanner app allows custom dashboard display of whatever data the ODB2 kicks out. I really wanted to see Power/Regen, and a couple key temp sensors.... BINGO

Last edited:

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
So.... when I first got my MME I had a problem w Display heating up and going black when I parked or drove facing South. I had the screen replaced (under warranty) and it pretty much was ok except for occasional wonky display and slow response. I was going to just use some double-sided tape and solar screening to shade the screen back, but decided to try the phone holder/tray organizer from @AOSK , which for under $30 was promising.

Turned out that the position of the phone holder was a bit high for clear view, and fit too tight to back of console for any airflow.... so I've documented the mods I did to enable better phone position AND airflow.

The bonus is that I can FINALLY display the data I want to see for real-time power output/regen, and whatever else you might want to display on your phone, or use your phone as a dashcam.....

Here are the pix:

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner 12 displaying CarScanner dashboard

the hat worked.... but....

stock phone holder was too high... phone obscured vision

need to cut a slot in phone holder to allow installing 'upside down'

cut a slot.....

enables mounting upside down for lower phone position

by maybe 2" or 3".... just enough!

good enough

and the final result is GREAT!
solves several things.... blocks sun from back of monitor, has a good phone holder position, AND enables custom display of whatever you can put up on your phone.... including CarScanner data from the ODB2.

The CarScanner app allows custom dashboard display of whatever data the ODB2 kicks out. I really wanted to see Power/Regen, and a couple key temp sensors.... BINGO
wow, nice idea.

Mach Tuch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 23 MME GT, 08 Mustang GT Vert, 19 Audi Q7
Country flag
Nice mod. Cutting holes was a great idea.

nashbrydges

First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT performance
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking at this particular item for a while. Does the tray sit on top of the dash? If it does, that concerns me as it will likely cause some discoloration over time (section not subjected to UV - although this is an assumption) but might also cause some rubbing on the dash which will create permanent markings. Have you noticed any such marks on top of your dash?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. I've been looking at this particular item for a while. Does the tray sit on top of the dash? If it does, that concerns me as it will likely cause some discoloration over time (section not subjected to UV - although this is an assumption) but might also cause some rubbing on the dash which will create permanent markings. Have you noticed any such marks on top of your dash?

I have not noticed any marks or discoloration. But now that it is in, I don't plan on removing it since it is accomplishing two things I really wanted, so the point is somewhat moot.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Can you use these OBD2 apps (Bluetooth) while also using CarPlay? I can only imagine how hot the phone would get, since it already cooks from just wireless CarPlay and having its back anywhere near the sun.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Can you use these OBD2 apps (Bluetooth) while also using CarPlay? I can only imagine how hot the phone would get, since it already cooks from just wireless CarPlay and having its back anywhere near the sun.
I don't use Carplay or AndroidAuto.... but I'd guess that this shade/vent would help cool the screen. It would be better if future dash design shaded the back of the monitor, and maybe even had a cabin air vent right behind the screen to circulate cabin air temp and help cool it.

The display gets as hot as a gaming computer if you are pushing it hard, or driving south with sun baking the back of it.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
Just ordered this tray and phone holder with the intent of displaying car scanner data while driving. I was a little comcerned about how high the phone sits but now that I have seen your mod I will use it to lower the phone. I have not experienced the heating problem of the sync screen so will keep an eye on that to see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just ordered this tray and phone holder with the intent of displaying car scanner data while driving. I was a little comcerned about how high the phone sits but now that I have seen your mod I will use it to lower the phone. I have not experienced the heating problem of the sync screen so will keep an eye on that to see what happens. Thanks for the idea.
the mod is super easy.... just go slow when cutting the slot. I ended up putting a dab of clear silicone in/around the base upon final assembly to hold it steady and dampen vibration

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Dan... You have too much time on your hands. 🤪🐩

Actually, I was thinking that while you were drilling holes you could add active airflow (a fan) to the unit so that it'd actually force some cooling air to the back of the display. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
So, I installed the AOSK dash tray and phone holder (with the mod) but did not like the looks of that. The phone screen was too small for me to see it with the into I want to show. I purchased the Carlinkit V3 car player (on Amazon) and now have it up and running on the sync 4a screen. It works well but sometimes kicks me out of the car scanner app back to car play. Just have to push a couple of buttons and am back in car scanner app again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: modify AOSK phone holder to fix Display Heat problems AND display all phone Apps like CarScanner dashboard

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So, I installed the AOSK dash tray and phone holder (with the mod) but did not like the looks of that. The phone screen was too small for me to see it with the into I want to show. I purchased the Carlinkit V3 car player (on Amazon) and now have it up and running on the sync 4a screen. It works well but sometimes kicks me out of the car scanner app back to car play. Just have to push a couple of buttons and am back in car scanner app again.

dashboard.jpg

oooohhhhhh, I love it!
please post link to purchase, and any 'user notes' for setup and operation!

I don't ever use AndroidAuto or CarPlay because I don't see how to 'cast' any App display to the main screen.... My understanding was that only certain Apps could be displayed, so I'd be very interested in seeing a step-by-step on what has to be configured to display CarScanner on the big screen.

Can any/all other Apps running on phone be 'cast' ?

Last edited:

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
oooohhhhhh, I love it!
please post link to purchase, and any 'user notes' for setup and operation!

I don't ever use AndroidAuto or CarPlay because I don't see how to 'cast' any App display to the main screen.... My understanding was that only certain Apps could be displayed, so I'd be very interested in seeing a step-by-step on what has to be configured to display CarScanner on the big screen.

Can any/all other Apps running on phone be 'cast' ?
Here is the link to the Carlink V3: https://www.amazon.com/CarlinKit-An...d=bb65fe1b-b22f-4c22-a42d-44e46c6f9301&nodl=1

This is an android device so you plug it into the car, download the car scanner app from the google play store onto the device, connect your phone to the wifi address on the carlinkit, running the carlinkit version of car scanner, connect to your obd2 device and you are there. I have not tried yet to cast anything else to the screen but Netflix,youtube, hula, and other apps come installed on the device and should work.

Glad to help if you have more questions

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Here is the link to the Carlink V3: https://www.amazon.com/CarlinKit-An...d=bb65fe1b-b22f-4c22-a42d-44e46c6f9301&nodl=1

This is an android device so you plug it into the car, download the car scanner app from the google play store onto the device, connect your phone to the wifi address on the carlinkit, running the carlinkit version of car scanner, connect to your obd2 device and you are there. I have not tried yet to cast anything else to the screen but Netflix,youtube, hula, and other apps come installed on the device and should work.

Glad to help if you have more questions

so..... how do you navigate to the Playstore from the device to download/install to the device?

I'm having trouble visualizing whether the App is running on the device, or on the phone? i.e. I already have CarScanner running on phone, but need to download, install, and run a second install sitting on the CarLink ?

....and then, when I want to RUN the App, while driving, I still have to pair my phone to the ODB2, and run the app on phone... so how does it display thru the CarLink if the App is running/connected via BT to my phone?

.... sorry to be thick, but I have never run anything on AndroidAuto OR Carplay.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
so..... how do you navigate to the Playstore from the device to download/install to the device?

I'm having trouble visualizing whether the App is running on the device, or on the phone? i.e. I already have CarScanner running on phone, but need to download, install, and run a second install sitting on the CarLink ?

....and then, when I want to RUN the App, while driving, I still have to pair my phone to the ODB2, and run the app on phone... so how does it display thru the CarLink if the App is running/connected via BT to my phone?

.... sorry to be thick, but I have never run anything on AndroidAuto OR Carplay.
The app runs on the device not on your phone and you connect the OBD to theapp on the device. You dont run the app on the phone. You pair your phone to the device if you want to use car play or auto android. That is how I make phone calls as well as I use my phone connectivity to play spotify.
Sponsored