Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
As I previously told you those will not work well with a jack like he used in this thread. See the pictures, it's a cup. Not flat like your jack.
I've used these on my floor jacks for years. They just sit and take the weight, they don't need to be round, just flat. Frame rails aren't round. They work fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Didn't mention the control arm bracket, I suggested the control arm itself. As stated its been done for over forty years and yes even aluminum control arms and vehicles with similar weights. (My Ford Escape for example)

Tony

mmmmm, well, applying a bending moment in the middle of a lever, and passing the weight thru bushings at angles they weren't designed for sounds like an even worse idea. not only for possible bending, but alignment.

Since specific locations are recommended to lift this beast, and we've already seen examples of astronomical bills to repair damage to battery rails I intend to follow recommendations for lift points.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I've used these on my floor jacks for years. They just sit and take the weight, they don't need to be round, just flat. Frame rails aren't round. They work fine.
a piece of 2x4 works fine

I was just wanting something obvious for the tire shop to see so they avoid using battery rails.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So you're leaving those in place? Assuming they stay up there, but don't they look awful from the side?
You can't see them unless you put your head on the ground.... they are slightly 'shorter' than the battery rails.

we'll see if they stay in... I was going to put an expansion bolt in, but the rubber nub seems to have locked in the hole pretty well.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Did you have to use an adhesive to get them to stay?
nope, as a matter of fact I had to put some ClearGlide on and they still didn't 'seat' until I actually lifted the car to press it all the way in. We'll see if they STAY in....

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Regarding shops, I have some yellow and red paint pens, and next time I have it jacked up (probably for wheel swap) I was going to slide under there and mark some of the holes. Not sure how I'll mark yet, but probably circle the winch points in yellow, and mark the embossed lift area arrows in yellow as well. Then on the beam and battery holes I'll put some prominent X's and "No Jack" or "No Lift".

I also considered taping over some of the appealing looking holes with a red striped exterior tape, but I'm a bit worried about drainage.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Did you have to use an adhesive to get them to stay?
no adhesive needed.
It is a pretty tight fit in the existing holes, and the rubber 'nub' deforms just enough when you jam them in when lifting. I will keep an eye on them, but I think they will stay put...

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
we'll see if they stay in... I was going to put an expansion bolt in, but the rubber nub seems to have locked in the hole pretty well.
I think I will pick some of these up and will probably do some form of expansion bolt. If you do put one in, let the forum know what you used and how it worked.

My plan was to simply put a bolt, washers and a nut. By tightening the bolt the washer will compress the top part of the "puck" and expand it. Should work like an expansion bolt.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I think I will pick some of these up and will probably do some form of expansion bolt. If you do put one in, let the forum know what you used and how it worked.

My plan was to simply put a bolt, washers and a nut. By tightening the bolt the washer will compress the top part of the "puck" and expand it. Should work like an expansion bolt.
yup, that would work, but I dont think it's needed.... just extra work and materials. I had to use ClearGlide and the jack to 'install', and I don't think they are going to fall out on their own. I bought materials for expansion bolts, but decided not to spend the extra time drilling and counter sinking the heads into the bottom of the puck

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Have these stayed in over the past month+?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Have these stayed in over the past month+?

yes, stayed in fine thru several slushy snow drives and melts, dirt road bouncing, etc. My dealership saw them, and has outfitted their mobile service van with the same intending to sell them to any Mach-e they send the van to I presume.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just FYI, the Tesla pads do not fit in my 11/14/21 production GT-PE‘s front holes, as the locator dowels in the pucks are more than 0.100” larger than the locator holes in the chassis. They do fit in the rear locator holes. WTF Ford? I ended up getting a set of Corvette lift pads and modified them to fit my car. I believe @scoopman used half a set of each For his car. I am too cheap to buy two sets and use half of each set. LOL. 🤪🐩

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just FYI, the Tesla pads do not fit in my 11/14/21 production GT-PE‘s front holes, as the locator dowels in the pucks are more than 0.100” larger than the locator holes in the chassis. They do fit in the rear locator holes. WTF Ford? I ended up getting a set of Corvette lift pads and modified them to fit my car. I believe @scoopman used half a set of each For his car. I am too cheap to buy two sets and use half of each set. LOL. 🤪🐩
I would be surprised if the locator hole size changed with production date or trim... I didn't measure for difference, I just slathered some ClearGlide on the Telsa puck nubs, and pressed them in with the floor jack.

There is a pretty good size center hole in the puck nub... which I am assuming is pretty compressed during installation, and explains why they are staying in so well.... I did not even try to remove them, I just left them in place.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have the same problem. I bought a set of Tesla pads and they fit only the rear holes of my GT. I need different pads for the front.
@scoopman do you remember what you use for the front?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have the same problem. I bought a set of Tesla pads and they fit only the rear holes of my GT. I need different pads for the front.
@scoopman do you remember what you use for the front?

did you try dish soap or ClearGlide on the rubber nub and just jamming it in with jack while lifting the vehicle ? I could not install by hand, I used a jack lifting the vehicle to jam them in....

or maybe file a little champher with a rat-tail file to take off any burr ?
Sponsored