First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoé
Country flag
Hello,

I'm facing an issue where my MME draws a lot of energy from the charger while sleeping. Over the last 3 days (77 hours to be exact), the car was plugged in, off, not charging because target level was reached by far (target 50%, actual 68%). However, the charging station reported a total consumption of 65kwh. This is huge.
It was quite cold (-4C), and I know the MME takes some energy peaks to keep the battery not too cold, but drawing 65kwh for not driving a single mile is not acceptable. Anyone else facing a similar issue?

Many thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Idling implies you had the engine running while charging at your home. Is that correct?

OP
OP

xxenon

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoé
Country flag
Idling implies you had the engine running while charging at your home. Is that correct?
Nope, MME was shut down, I haven't used/started it during the 77 hours I mentioned

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Well I don't know why your car charged to 68% when you set it to 50%, no.

As far as the energy used, the 88kWh battery using 65kWh would be about 75% or more charged up, depending on what you started at.

Further, it loses energy between the charger and the vehicle. Figure 8 - 12%.

OP
OP

xxenon

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoé
Country flag
Well I don't know why your car charged to 68% when you set it to 50%, no.

As far as the energy used, the 88kWh battery using 65kWh would be about 75% or more charged up, depending on what you started at.

Further, it loses energy between the charger and the vehicle. Figure 8 - 12%.
It didn't charge. I plugged it in at 68% and it remained at 68% as expected.
All the energy was used for ... something else...

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
Do you have departure times set to precondition your car? If so, some of that could be drawing off the grid to condition both the battery and the cabin for a departure. If not, seems like some kind of error.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
I would check pre-conditioning settings and/or if the e-heat was on for some reason. That would likely be the most significant power draw after the electric motors engaging to move the car.

OP
OP

xxenon

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoé
Country flag
I would check pre-conditioning settings and/or if the e-heat was on for some reason. That would likely be the most significant power draw after the electric motors engaging to move the car.
I'll do another 12 hours test next night. Departure time is off, engine & e-heat off.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
News to me, I didn't know a Mach-E had an engine and it idle's? Strange? Perhaps using the terms "READY" or "OFF" would be more appropriate. When plugged in the charger in the vehicle is off or waiting for its next scheduled charge time or command to charge to a higher level.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
News to me, I didn't know a Mach-E had an engine and it idle's? Strange? Perhaps using the terms "READY" or "OFF" would be more appropriate. When plugged in the charger in the vehicle is off or waiting for its next scheduled charge time or command to charge to a higher level.
Last I checked the definition of engine is "a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion". Idle = "not working, active, or being used".

Point ... We don't need word police here. We understand what the OP means and his vocabulary is correct.

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Lol, let me guess, you think fuel also only means gas?

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
I can confirm that the car will pull power from the house while sitting in cold weather. Here is my charger over the last 24 Hours. It was plugged in / reached my desired SOC since then it has hit the charger 3 times, the little blip I believe is when I walked near the car and it woke up.

So far today (since midnight) my car has taken 3.17 kWh which is just the car doing its thing. as the charging was completed last night / not counted in today's total.

The car was not started / no remote start / no departure time. Temp overnight down to 27º and so far its only up to 30º

Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge power draw while sleeping 1642534847217

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I can confirm that the car will pull power from the house while sitting in cold weather. Here is my charger over the last 24 Hours. It was plugged in / reached my desired SOC since then it has hit the charger 3 times, the little blip I believe is when I walked near the car and it woke up.

So far today (since midnight) my car has taken 3.17 kWh which is just the car doing its thing. as the charging was completed last night / not counted in today's total.

The car was not started / no remote start / no departure time. Temp overnight down to 27º and so far its only up to 30º

Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge power draw while sleeping 1642534847217
Thought this was for the LVB?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hello,

I'm facing an issue where my MME draws a lot of energy from the charger while sleeping. Over the last 3 days (77 hours to be exact), the car was plugged in, off, not charging because target level was reached by far (target 50%, actual 68%). However, the charging station reported a total consumption of 65kwh. This is huge.
It was quite cold (-4C), and I know the MME takes some energy peaks to keep the battery not too cold, but drawing 65kwh for not driving a single mile is not acceptable. Anyone else facing a similar issue?

Many thanks
I would say that energy draw is 'predictable'.... if the MME is stored or left plugged in where the ambient temp is -4C, the internal e-heat will remain on to keep battery warm. considering the lack of insulation on the battery tray (for cooling), it's going to suck a lot of energy keeping warm the whole time.

you'd be better off unplugging until 1/2 hour before driving and letting it pre-condition then.
Sponsored