Hummer EV the champ at DCFC charging rate(s)?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Which is why I don't see it beating the Taycan in real life usage measured in time - the hummer has to draw twice as much power as the taycan just for it to be even.
It needs to draw more than double once you consider actually going somewhere with the energy!

GM appears to be trying to appeal to buyers who don't care about efficiency. It worked before, but I don't know if it will work again.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not true.

If they were quoting rate in kW yes. All I've seen them report charging rate in is miles. Twice as big a battery for the same range means the same rate of charging in miles is a lot more energy stored.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What, you don't drive in a vacuum with a 100% efficient drive-train?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Charging at 350 kW is a big deal. If the Lyriq (sp?) also DC charged at this rate, which it doesn't, then it would be a fabulous vehicle for long trips. Note that with more than twice the charging rate, the Hummer is likely a better choice for long distances than the Mach-E.

An electric Hummer is something of weird statement vehicle. Built do smash into walls but likely only driven to the grocery store, where parking it is problematic, it will appeal to a niche market of folks regardless of whether it fits in the garage (would not fit in mine).

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You might not realize, but you're saying different things. Coral is saying "x MPH" charging for the GM requires more power than "x MPH" charging for the Porsche.

If the charge rate (e.g. kW) is the same, the distance gained in a given amount of time is not.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The price tag on the hummer. WOW, many can't afford that. The cheaper model won't even be out till late 2024.

This right here should show you the automobile makers are really not targeting the lower income brackets or even middle class. Just the upper 20%. Which is fine. At the end of the day though, the EV push will get slower and slower tell more of cheaper EV alternatives hit the market.

That is why Elon is trying to get a head start on that 25,000 30,000 range.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Charging at 350 kW is a big deal. If the Lyriq (sp?) also DC charged at this rate, which it doesn't, then it would be a fabulous vehicle for long trips. Note that with more than twice the charging rate, the Hummer is likely a better choice for long distances than the Mach-E.

An electric Hummer is something of weird statement vehicle. Built do smash into walls but likely only driven to the grocery store, where parking it is problematic, it will appeal to a niche market of folks regardless of whether it fits in the garage (would not fit in mine).
Yeah, at 100mi/10 minutes charging rate, it would actually be better at road trips. With 3s 0-60 it would beat the MME GT in a quick sprint but likely not the quarter-mile.

I really see the Hummer as appealing to big personality NBA stars and Arnold Schwarzenegger wannabes. For $112k, it's a nice option compared to the dystopian Cybertruck, elegant Rivian, or workman's eF-150.

Reactions: DBC

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The price tag on the hummer. WOW, many can't afford that. The cheaper model won't even be out till late 2024.

This right here should show you the automobile makers are really not targeting the lower income brackets or even middle class. Just the upper 20%. Which is fine. At the end of the day though, the EV push will get slower and slower tell more of cheaper EV alternatives hit the market.

That is why Elon is trying to get a head start on that 25,000 30,000 range.
Yeah. Two of our FEs for the price of one of theirs!

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I really see the Hummer as appealing to big personality NBA stars and Arnold Schwarzenegger wannabes. For $112k, it's a nice option compared to the dystopian Cybertruck, elegant Rivian, or workman's eF-150.
I see it as closest to the Rivian. Both are marketed as an adventurous off roading vehicle. Most won't be used that way but I have to say that with 35" wheels, an ability to raise the bed six more inches, and crab walking, the Hummer does seem to be the ultimate in the category. And the Rivian is no slouch either. Love the storage space behind the cabin.

For a (very high) price. :oops:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Do all existing L3 (really DC L2) chargers support 800-volts? I'm assuming not, so how many are out there?
Sponsored