Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
I was able to attend the boot camp at weber state university. For people with a bit technical background and interest in EV battery technology I highly recommend this class.
To find more details check the Weber Auto YouTube Channel: WeberAuto - YouTube
To find more details about their classes check: EV Training (weber.edu)

Here some details when we removed the HV battery on the GT.

The rear motor cover and front motor cover was already removed, when we started working on the battery and the car was already on the lift. We were a group of people and it took us less than 1 hour to remove and open the battery pack. Note that we had Ford Hand Books and the car was ready to get the battery out (on the lift and some covers removed).

Here some images how the car needs to be lifted. The lift needs to be from the side, so you can get the battery out towards the bottom. Apparently Ford did not realize that they put the actual lifting points on the battery frame metal part, so they had to design this galvanized pieces which fit into the side chassis, so you have a better lifting point. I agree that the lift itself might need better pads to lift, as you see it was already sort of bending a bit.
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_125733

Prior to lifting we had to make sure the battery is disconnected securely, which means you turn off the car, take the fob far away (no paak near), disconnect the 12V Battery and disengage the green low voltage service disconnect in the frunk. (follow OEM procedure)
I actually talk about this switch in my video about the charge coupler manual disconnect: charge coupler manual release | Ford Mustang Mach E - YouTube

Next was that we had to lift up the car and drain all the coolant. There are two hoses towards the rear motor and 4 hoses on the front. There is a procedure to follow according to the workshop manual. Once the coolant was removed we had to dry wipe everything (clean according to the books) and then we could disconnect the battery pack and measure voltage to assure there was no power on the plugs anymore (connectors dissengaged).

Next was getting a scissor hoist table and position it towards the center of the gravity of the battery. Ford does not specify it in the book, it says the battery is heavier in the end. Professor John Kelly marked the battery where it has its COG according to his experience. Note this is a Mach E GT, other Mach E's might have a different battery installed (sr Range eg).

Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 1654960729273

Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_131327

Here an image when we had the lift positioned. The four chairs where just positioned so the battery cannot tip over. Incase someone accidently leans on it too much.
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_132606

Now we had to remove all the screws and bolts around the battery frame. There is several on the back, in the corners and on the sides. Of course always with instructions from the book, to assure we follow the right steps.
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_131828

Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 1654961118659

Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the corner bolts and brackets

Next we lowered the battery for 1 inch (couple cm) to assure it is in balance with the lift, in case we would need to reposition.

Then when we were sure we had it in balance, we were able to lower it all the way, and we were able to remove the cover to look at its cell modules, its contactors, resistors, capacitors, control unit, thermal management etc.
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 1654961599922
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_133417

Interesting was also, if you would be changing cell blocks/module , you would need to install a new heat transfer paste. Ford has a template how to install the paste which would look like this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_140955

For removing cell modules there is a special bracket to hoist them out, as well you will always need to lift them out in pairs:
Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 20220608_141252

Ford Mustang Mach-E HV Battery Removal From Mustang Mach E GT - Pics & Process (From Weber State University Training Boot Camp) 1654961846334

Again, as the car was on the hoist, it took us less than 1 hour to remove it. We were several people though and the car had it out already several times for training purposes.

I was thinking of doing a video about it, not sure if I have enough photos and enough proper sources with me, as I am not at the University anymore.

I think this write up should give you an idea on how to do it.

Note that you need to have basic knowledge about how to work save around high voltage batteries, otherwise you can get killed from high voltage.

1654960667571.png

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Someone should send that dealership that dropped that poor GT off a lift to that class, they might learn something.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
If only my local Ford dealer service bay looked like this one. Clean, lots of space...

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
In the ICE car world, engines and transmissions have serial numbers… because they cost a lot…. I wonder if EV batteries have serial numbers?

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the ICE car world, engines and transmissions have serial numbers… because they cost a lot…. I wonder if EV batteries have serial numbers?
Usually ever major component on equipment has a s/n

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
All I have to say is

Holy Crap ….

It’s a lot better than how they make hotdogs at the sausage factory

Jes sayin. A MacGyver award for you. The inner e pony. Exposed.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Very nice writeup and pics.
As I think you alluded to, for the first pic, man that does not look safe

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very nice writeup and pics.
As I think you alluded to, for the first pic, man that does not look safe
Yea I believe they will need to get different pads for their lift or modify them.

Rk808

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mirai: Volvo XC60; MME
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Very cool picks and info. makes you wonder if it would be as easy as adding some battery modules to get extended range when they are available from accident vehicles

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very cool picks and info. makes you wonder if it would be as easy as adding some battery modules to get extended range when they are available from accident vehicles
I believe that will be an issue wiyh your thermal managment and with the software.
Sponsored