Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Good info. I've viewed quite a few of the EV related videos from the Weber series and have always been impressed with their level of detail.
Sponsored

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Given today's recall for Stop Safely Now & HVBJB, I think lots of Ford Mechanics will be learning all about this real soon. Much like GM mechanics have since all Bolts needed new batteries.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
on the topic of Thermal Management and our now-obvious problem with the HVBJB area overheating.... I am wondering why Ford has not added ventilation holes, or fan, to circulate ambient air thru the HVBJB area ?

Since the heat transfer is designed to go thru the bottom of belly pan, just under battery modules, I can guess that HVBJB area turns into an oven after a while under heavy loads/regen and probably takes quite a while to cool.

The front 'corners' look like good places to drill some little vent holes for cooling ? perhaps with filters to keep out major dust and water ?

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
on the topic of Thermal Management and our now-obvious problem with the HVBJB area overheating.... I am wondering why Ford has not added ventilation holes, or fan, to circulate ambient air thru the HVBJB area ?

Since the heat transfer is designed to go thru the bottom of belly pan, just under battery modules, I can guess that HVBJB area turns into an oven after a while under heavy loads/regen and probably takes quite a while to cool.

The front 'corners' look like good places to drill some little vent holes for cooling ? perhaps with filters to keep out major dust and water ?
This why you have coolant running through. Air cooled batteries have shown not the greatest result in the past.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This why you have coolant running through. Air cooled batteries have shown not the greatest result in the past.
the coolant is only below the batteries.... leaving the HVJBJ to cook

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Note that the car monitors the battery case to see if there is any leakage and throws DTCs if there is. Drilling holes would lead to DTCs being thrown. 😱🐩

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Note that the car monitors the battery case to see if there is any leakage and throws DTCs if there is. Drilling holes would lead to DTCs being thrown. 😱🐩
I am not talking about drilling thru the bottom and causing a coolant leak. I can't imagine the HVBJB area is being monitored for positive, or negative, air pressure?! Unless that entire area is fluid filled, which I don't think it is....

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

that is true.... as I said, I am aware that the battery modules have heat transfer plates/paste on the bottom, designed for heat transfer DOWN to the fluid 'chill plate'.

my main point is that it doesn't look to me like there is any provision to cool the front area of the tray where the HVBJB sits other than the short length of coolant line that goes straight back to the battery chill plate.

The heat generated by current thru bus bars in the HVBJB area, and relay 'hold' current in the contractors will just build up in that enclosed space. Depending on current, those bus bars could warm that space pretty hot with repeat output/regen 'events' coupled with high ambient temps.... plenty to cook the (undersized) contactors, or at least the insulation inside them.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

Holes? Because the battery compartment is hermetically sealed…. Because the relay is filled with inert gas to minimize damage from arcing. Because the area getting hot is the size of a coin.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Holes? Because the battery compartment is hermetically sealed…. Because the relay is filled with inert gas to minimize damage from arcing. Because the area getting hot is the size of a coin.

my question to the OP who was physically there....

IS the HVBJB section (in front of the battery modules) actually 'sealed', or actually have any sensors? I can't imagine why that front section wold be sealed as it would certainly create both positive and negative pressure with temperature changes since is is not fluid filled compartment.

my QUESTION is
Why NOT ventilate the HVBJB ? either to ambient or to cabin at least?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am not talking about drilling thru the bottom and causing a coolant leak. I can't imagine the HVBJB area is being monitored for positive, or negative, air pressure?! Unless that entire area is fluid filled, which I don't think it is....
One of the tests a tech is supposed to perform after fastening the lid back on the battery case is a pressure test. The battery case is supposed to be sealed. The car monitors the case for leaks during normal operation. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
my question to the OP who was physically there....

IS the HVBJB section (in front of the battery modules) actually 'sealed', or actually have any sensors? I can't imagine why that front section wold be sealed as it would certainly create both positive and negative pressure with temperature changes since is is not fluid filled compartment.

my QUESTION is
Why NOT ventilate the HVBJB ? either to ambient or to cabin at least?
Yes it is sealed. And it has some sort of venting system to get over pressured air out. When putting the battery pack together you are supposed to do a seal test. We did it at the bolt. Which included air pressure test and smoke test.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes it is sealed. And it has some sort of venting system to get over pressured air out. When putting the battery pack together you are supposed to do a seal test. We did it at the bolt. Which included air pressure test and smoke test.
Facinating

I wondet why it is sealed rather than vented ?!

Next best I guess would be extendung the chill plate to extend under the HVBJB if is doesnt already to maintain a decent temp in that area.
Sponsored