Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp
Welcome to the platform that'll power their next-gen EVs, including a 'robotaxi'
Ford Mustang Mach-E Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp {filename}

Paul Horrell
2 Dec 2020

Remember the cute Hyundai 45 electric show-car? Or the madder Kia Futuron? Well, if they – especially the latter – struck you as a bit concept-y, at least the parent company has now given full details of the electric platform that will, next year, carry the toned-down production versions of both. The Hyundai will be called Ioniq 5.
The platform is known as E-GMP and as these things usually are, it’s modular. That means different sizes of car, battery and motor(s). It will go under about a dozen different cars by 2025. Including a ‘robotaxi’.
Chief engineer Albert Biermann says it’ll be used for up to 600 horsepower. That’s good for 0-62 in 3.5 seconds. The biggest car, he says, will be up to 5m long. We’d guess that will be a Genesis.

As these things usually do, the E-GMP has a flat battery underneath the cabin floor, and a long wheelbase to make the space for it. It can have rear-only motor, or one each end for all-wheel-drive.
But there are interesting differences from the norm. The battery is an 800-volt job, rather than the usual 400. As with the Porsche Taycan, this means less weight in the electrical systems, and ultra-fast charging – the claim is 18 minutes for 0-80 per cent. If you can find one of the new 350kW chargers. To make it more likely you can, Hyundai is investing in the Ionity network.
For normal 400 volt chargers, it cleverly uses the electronics that drive the motor to step-up the voltage to 800.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp {filename}

The charge system is reversible, so it can power external mains loads like a fridge. Or even another car directly.
The other innovation is a clutch between the front motor and wheels, so on motorways and gentle running it can disconnect the front motor and cut mechanical drag.
A new cooling system makes the battery lighter than before. The surrounding structure and chassis is also light and strong, using lots of ultra-high-strength steel and aluminium. New motors run at higher speed than usual, which means they can be smaller and lighter.
The efficiency of Kia and Hyundai’s existing EVs is already among the best out there, so it’s fair to assume assume the new platform should do even better. We’ll see.
The firm says that for its smaller electric cars, it will carry on using platforms that can be combustion or electric – like the Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro. The E-GMP will be for its bigger EVs, which will have no petrol option.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm really curious as to what the Ford team thinks of the Hyundai/Kia E-GMP platform. Sounds like there's a lot of cool things that have the potential to bring Taycan level tech down to a more attainable price point with performance that would rival the Mach-E.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If they can cram batteries into an ICE and produce what they did with the Kona I look forward to seeing what they will come out with on a dedicated platform.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
These are the news stories that make me nervous. I start to think, maybe I should wait a year or two. There are going to be so many choices that prices will go down and performance up. BTW, I have always been this way. It's amazing I buy anything at all.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Hyundai/Kia really is doing some great things, and seems to be doing a good job of not growing models/segments too quickly. Props to them for sure.

Reactions: DBC

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I haven't seen anything this slick from Ford yet to really explain what they're doing with the MME and how it's superior to anything else out there.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These are the news stories that make me nervous. I start to think, maybe I should wait a year or two. There are going to be so many choices that prices will go down and performance up. BTW, I have always been this way. It's amazing I buy anything at all.
Kicking myself; should have waited a few years and I could have got an I7 instead of that Pentium 100 ;) .

For sure this tech will leap and bound and years from now you may be able to get a lot more range for the same price (or less). Need to determine when the tech makes sense to you. If I could wait 20 years to get a new vehicle I would. I think the MME should do just fine for a lot of people. It's a good size, looks good and the under 5 sec 0 to 60 doesn't hurt for me.

While not trying to sound redundant; P100.2 coming up ;).

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
I've been waiting for a decent EV by a non-douche company for 3 years. The Mach E meets my needs and looks pretty cool. There may be a better EV by Hyundai in 2 years, but then again, the 2023 Mach E will probably be better too.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This is all good news for the South Koreans, not so for the U.S. and the rest of the world.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm also not sure why we don't have flying cars by now.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is all good news for the South Koreans, not so for the U.S. and the rest of the world.
Yeah, I am happy to support an American company and all of my cars are Fords anyway. Didn't start out so brand loyal, but makes sense to continue with them, for me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I disagree completely. This shows where the market will be in 2-3 years. That will be the next target and they will all get better. It's good for all of us.
Sponsored