Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Update: TBD on what the US 10 year SK Innovation ban will mean for Ioniq 5 as it's set to use these batteries. I wonder if Hyundai pushed back the 5 launch (it was supposed to be Feb 2nd originally) because they were awaiting the outcome, which is now quite unfavorable to them. Unless Hyundai can get an exception, which may take time, this might be more of a reason for those that are on the fence to pull the trigger on a MME.

https://insideevs.com/news/487363/sk-innovation-hyundai-ioniq-5-launch-us/
Sponsored

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/489883/hyundai-ioniq-5-cuv-debut-not-hatchback/

Here is the big reveal. To me it doesn't look real exciting the display.

"The most powerful Ioniq 5 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.2 seconds, and the top speed for all derivatives is 185 km/h. "

185km/h is 114.95367 Miles per Hour.

Hope some people like it so more people drive EVs but not for me. Either the mach-e GT or wait another year for the Porsche electric Macan for me.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
The IONIQ 5 is exactly the kind of EV I expected from Hyundai (Kia will announce their version next month). A good solid vehicle geared to the South Korean market. What they will not put in the US version will be interesting.

Something else to look for is if they can duplicate the efficiency of the Kona/Niro/Soul EVs and Ioniq Electric with the E-GMP platform. If they can, it will be a huge win for them.

Of course, we are still waiting on the specs, pricing and availability. I am guessing it will be a year before they show up for US buyers once they can place an order later this year.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I haven't yet ordered my MME but I fully expected to, and until this morning, there was nothing else even on the horizon in the U.S. for the next year that made me question that choice. From everything I've seen so far, the Ioniq 5 is even closer in spec to the MME than is the Polestar 2, and between the few additional nice touches and the likely strong pricing, this may have become a 2-horse race, between the Mustang Mach-E and Hyundai's modern tribute to its original Pony. {Jonathan}

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I have a GT reservation as my car history gravitates towards the sportier side, so I won't be jumping ship just yet however ford really need to pull out the stops on the GT with my final decision always being based on the how much extra the performance edition ends up vs what we actually get, if I found it to be not ford performance branding worthy I would have just saved some coin and gone for a premium mach-e trim instead, however based on what I have seen of the Ioniq 5 so far it has moved the mach-e premium down into 3rd choice.

mspxihuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Extended RWD
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Ioniq 5 just got revealed. Going to be good ev to me. Fast charging 80% in 18 min. Long enough range(wltp 300 mile). AR HuD. Nice 3000w inverter. Solar roof to charge 12v battery. Real key to open door when battery died. Just name a few. Very interesting.

Ajpeo3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Performance Edition Cyber Orange
Country flag
Ioniq 5 just got revealed. Going to be good ev to me. Fast charging 80% in 18 min. Long enough range(wltp 300 mile). AR HuD. Nice 3000w inverter. Solar roof to charge 12v battery. Real key to open door when battery died. Just name a few. Very interesting.
But it's ugly inside and out

Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
The Ioniq 5 reveal has given me pause for thought. That charge time and the inverter are significant wins over the Mustang, but as my wife said “it’s not a Mustang though!”
I’m in the UK and have no idea when my Mach E will arrive (probably May...ish) and the Ioniq 5 is due here in the summer. Makes it a tough call to be honest.

The thing stopping me is that I think the looks on the Ioniq 5 will age fast in a bad way whereas the Mustang will probably look good forever. In the UK I also don’t even know if we have any infrastructure that will charge the Ioniq 5 that fast yet, and if we did it would probably cost a lot per kWh I.e. more than petrol per mile, so I probably wouldn’t use it.

I’ll show my kids the reveal video tonight and see what they think. They are young teenagers and often throw in a different perspective!
I think the Mustang will win in my house, but we’ll see!

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was impresed with the Ioniq concept but not nearly as impressed with the production car. Still this will be a huge hit and I like it more than any of VWs ID offerings.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
But it's ugly inside and out
That's the great thing about having choices in EVs; we can account not only for functionality but taste. To me, the Ioniq 5 doesn't look quite as good as the MME, but I don't find it ugly; it is certainly svelter than either the id.4 or the Ariya. I also like the color choices better than what we have for the MME Premium (especially the blue), and I also may prefer the Ioniq 5's in-dash screens and heads-up display to the large tablet attached to the MME's dash. Cargo space numbers are still unclear, although the MME has a *much* larger frunk than the Ioniq 5. The 2nd row seats in the Ioniq 5 are power adjustable and have a memory function, both lacking in the MME. The Ioniq 5 has slightly more rear passenger legroom, and the 0-62 time of the two is almost identical. AWD range with the bigger batteries also looks roughly comparable. Both Ford and Hyundai still have full U.S. federal tax credits available.

The real question will be pricing. If the Ioniq 5 comes in at or around the MME's price range, it will be a true competition. If Hyundai underprices Ford by any significant amount, it will be a huge hit among those who don't want/need the Mustang image for their EVs. {Jonathan}

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Range (read real cold weather range) is still pretty poor. I hope this EPA 200-250 trend improves soon. I think I will prefer the Genesis version of this car.