Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
They have their Ioniq 5 coming out this year. Will have to take a look at the specs on it as well as the tech. I love tech, but the quickness of the MME GT will probably keep me going in that direction unless I hear of lots of problems with it.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They have their Ioniq 5 coming out this year. Will have to take a look at the specs on it as well as the tech. I love tech, but the quickness of the MME GT will probably keep me going in that direction unless I hear of lots of problems with it.
The 2021 Mach-E GT will be quick at 3.5-3.8 seconds 0-60 but will be gapped by lots of pickup trucks in 2022 with 3.0s times. The likely good news is that these trucks probably won't have a high top speed.

The Hyundai E-GMP platform will have some really compelling EV specs for charging. I think the 300mi WLTP range will work out to 250mi or less which shouldn't be too much of a problem since it charges so fast.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
The 2021 Mach-E GT will be quick at 3.5-3.8 seconds 0-60 but will be gapped by lots of pickup trucks in 2022 with 3.0s times. The likely good news is that these trucks probably won't have a high top speed.

The Hyundai E-GMP platform will have some really compelling EV specs for charging. I think the 300mi WLTP range will work out to 250mi or less which shouldn't be too much of a problem since it charges so fast.
I think the MME GT is topped at 125mph? Not that I go anywhere near that fast. Only if I was on a track, which I just never did, even with my current car. On the streets is way too dangerous. A clear highway that you can see is clear and there are no roads coming into it is ok for a a bit for doing like 110. But I am cautious of even doing that. Mainly I like quick accelerations to 80 and that's about it. Mines can do 180, but I have no big desire to test it out on a track and don't want to wear out parts.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
If you can wait you should.
Always something better down the road, around the bend. By this logic it is never a good time to buy. Very few of the folks here "need" this car. Everybody wants it though. I doubt there is a parallel community of people with similar passion for the IONIQ5.

Or maybe there is ... https://www.ioniqforum.com

Last edited:

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Actually the Rivian with 3.0s 0-60 will have the same top speed ~125 mph as the GT.
And that won’t be “in 2022” but summer of this year.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Actually the Rivian with 3.0s 0-60 will have the same top speed ~125 mph as the GT.
And that won’t be “in 2022” but summer of this year.
Yikes! If true, I stand corrected.

I think the Rivian for $70k has air suspension and performance specs that beat the GT Performance off the line plus EV specs that beat the GT in range and charging speed.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag

I think the Rivian for $70k has air suspension and performance specs that beat the GT Performance off the line plus EV specs that beat the GT in range and charging speed.
And you can do a "tank turn" if you get stuck in traffic o_O

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

True on those plus much more in standard equipment (pano roof, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front and rear seats, towing of 11,000 lbs, adjustable ground clearance of 8 to 14”, etc), which is why I have a deposit on it as well as the GT.
But it is priced a bit higher ($75k... not the 70 you quote), although there is a cheaper version at $67,500 with the same performance if you’re willing to forgo or don’t need to have the premium interior.

Last edited:

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
The Rvian is too big for my taste. I rather have the Mach E. I don't care that other cars or faster, just want something with some zip. But I would like lots of range and tech.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The premiere is for mid February.
Looks likely to hold true to the '45' concept appearance which is inspired by the old Hyundai Pony. Blerg. Hopefully the Kia and Genesis versions look much better.

Even if the looks aren't for everyone, at least we'll get to see their EV specs and have something to compare our MMEs against.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Hyundai and Kia's new electric car base will go up to 600bhp
Welcome to the platform that'll power their next-gen EVs, including a 'robotaxi'
Made even more interesting by those Apple/Hyundai rumors from last week??

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I have two people with Hyundai/KIA behicl s with engines that both stopped working before 62,000 for the Sonata, and the Genesis Coupe, 55,000 miles. Hyundai has replaced literally 100,000s of engines due to multiple mechanical failures. Lucky if you were the original owner, but in both of the cases second owners and Hyundai's answer is they are beyond the powertrain warranty.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
I don't believe this car will have all this tech as in the video, but if it does, wow.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
As someone who hasn't purchased a MME yet, the Ioniq 5 is pretty much the only other car on our short list, so I'm excited to see what they say in the debut (hopeful next week) and when it'll go on sale. But yeah if you keep waiting for the next big thing you'll never buy anything, especially in the EV space. I'm sure I'd rather have the Genesis version of the Ioniq 5 but that won't be out until even later, probably end of 2021 at the earliest, possibly early 2022. That's why I'll lease (or Ford Options) whatever I get this year and be happy with it, then have a ton of options in 2024 for my next EV.
Sponsored