I’m losing faith in Ford, another recall?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm more interested in the VERY concrete timeline they gave for an OTA fix. Not "Q1/2/3" etc, but 30 days. Will they miss it? Maybe, but that kind of specificity makes me optimistic that the whole OTA process is maturing.
It took a lot of them, but the BC OTA updates were great! Ford just needs better communication as to what’s happening as usual.
Sponsored

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Now lightnings have been recalled. Small with tire pressure but whole I’m waiting for my Mach Prem, I’m getting worried. No way would I pay ADM with all this.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-recalls-2-900-ev-200000826.html
Since its 2019 introduction, the Tesla Model Y has had 12 recalls and 4 investigations by the NHTSA. The Mach E has had 6 recalls and 0 investigations. I'll stick with Ford over Tesla any day. Oh, and the 2022 Mercedes EQS has had 6 recalls, the 2023 BMW iX already has a recall, etc. As @Logal727 said, if you buy a car, it will have recalls.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Am I reading that right? Ford has a higher recall rate than Tesla despite manufacturing for longer?
Tesla has never made an ICE vehicle and Fords ground up EV‘s have only been on the market for less than 3 years.

As long as Tesla has been out, they’re still having fitment issues.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
That data set is almost 6 years old. Given the large number of recalls that Tesla has been pressured to make recently, I’m sure rankings have shuffled a bit.

I find some irony in Ford doing a (minor) TPMS related recall since the Ford Explorer is a big part of the reason that TPMS was mandated.
Probably…. I didn’t see more recent data in the one minute I looked this up. The strength of the data is it’s over 30 years or so.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Am I reading that right? Ford has a higher recall rate than Tesla despite manufacturing for longer?
Yes…. But notice that they had sold only 90k cars….. I think they had only made the roadster,, MS, and MX at that time. Best I could do but it’s kinda stale data

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
As with everything there is lies damn lies and statistics, in general I would say Ford is slap bang average when it comes to recalls, but they do have a habit of going into spells of lots of recalls that are unfortunately the result of typical short sighted cost cutting mentality that still plagues the corporate corridors of Ford that can quickly snowball from a small number of vehicle recalls into a large number :(.

https://datahub.transportation.gov/d/mu99-t4jn

Ford Mustang Mach-E I’m losing faith in Ford, another recall? 1656378837823

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting that Kia and Hyundai are so different given that they are basically the same cars.
Nah… they share more now but for a while Kia was the budget subprime brand that sold quirky Souls (now Stingers and Tellurides). Fewer expensive/complex features probably meant fewer issues.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Aren't they "below average" per your list?
If you want to be nitpicky……. Sure.

But then by your definition, nothing would be “average.”

No such thing as “average intelligence.” Everyone would be either above or below average.

I love this quote- “Think about how dumb average is. Then remember that half the planet is dumber than that.”

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Tesla wasn't so big in 2016 when that table ends.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
If you want to be nitpicky……. Sure.

But then by your definition, nothing would be “average.”

No such thing as “average intelligence.” Everyone would be either above or below average.

I love this quote- “Think about how dumb average is. Then remember that half the planet is dumber than that.”
I was kidding but it also depends on mean or median averaging, lol. I'd agree, though, it's just about average.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I was kidding but it also depends on mean or median averaging, lol. I'd agree, though, it's just about average.
Oh we can nerd this up right quick.

Mean is average.

Median is the middle (usually not the average).

But either way, Ford is doing ok.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
You may want to google "confirmation bias" Over 30 years or so, Ford is ... Average.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I’m losing faith in Ford, another recall? 1656378837823
And don’t forget for almost every car out there over a 10 year span ate the airbag recall as well.
Also using recalls as a metric is not a good one. Ford tends to be pretty upfront and issues recalls quickly and sorts it out later. The ones you need to worry about are the companies that fight doing them and have to be forced to do it (Tesla for example). Those are the bigger ones. The question you should have is what are they hiding.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I'm more interested in the VERY concrete timeline they gave for an OTA fix. Not "Q1/2/3" etc, but 30 days. Will they miss it? Maybe, but that kind of specificity makes me optimistic that the whole OTA process is maturing.
I would prefer approximate dates that they meet or beat as opposed to a series of concrete dates that are missed.
Software people miss dates ALL the time. I’m my career, I’ve learned to accept any dates provided by software people as “best faith guesses” (or, if you’re cynical, something random spouted out to make the “pointy haired boss” go away).
To paraphrase Yoda, “There is no DO in software development scheduling. There is only ‘try’ or ‘try harder’.”
Sponsored