Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang MachE GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
Feel a bit better to know this was intended, and that it would have locked if I'd walked away and not press the button. I don't usually press the button either, so it's a bit odd that I did.

I also noticed that the mirrors hadn't folded as I was walking up. So was it locked? Also a bit embarrassed that I left my right blinker on, parked on the left side people must have slowed down thinking I was going to pull out and I wasn't even in the car.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Feel a bit better to know this was intended, and that it would have locked if I'd walked away and not press the button. I don't usually press the button either, so it's a bit odd that I did.

I also noticed that the mirrors hadn't folded as I was walking up. So was it locked? Also a bit embarrassed that I left my right blinker on, parked on the left side people must have slowed down thinking I was going to pull out and I wasn't even in the car.
Not sure if you know this, but if you leave the vehicle on and take the key with you it can't be stolen. It will not let you shift out of park unless the key is in the vehicle. So it's totally okay to leave it running/on if you need to go inside for 5-10 minutes as long as you take all the keys with you.

Also, the car has a 30 minute power-down timer in case you forget to turn it off.

The only issue comes if you disable the power down timer, and then forget to turn off the vehicle. There are no additional warnings after 30 minutes and it will drain the high voltage battery completely dead if you accidentally leave it on (but it will take a day or two of being on for that to happen).

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
So I ran into Manhattan today to pick something up, and found some nice street parking on east 97th right by the traverse. It was a beautiful space with nobody in front of me, but I still didn't want to be there long. I grabbed my phone and my bag, touched the door lock heard honk, and went to pick up my item. 5 minutes later I'm back and noticed the indicator lights on. I open the door to be greeted with the car still on and "running." Now I'm not even sure if that honk was for the lock, or me walking away with the keys without shutting it off. Because it's electric I didn't hear the engine running. Thankfully it was still there when I came back, and I just learned a big lesson to double check that it shut off before I leave, especially when street parking.

Just telling my story so that no one else is an idiot like me.
And to think, Teslas don’t even have start buttons 😂

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
It is easy to do and I am a member of the club. The car is so quiet and you just put it in park and get out the car. No turning the key to shut if off like on my ICE car. I did the same thing when I went to the grocery store. The car kept honking at me when I left the car and that got me curious as to why it was honking at me. FIgured it and shut off the car. Would not have been the end of the worlds, since I locked the car, the car was in park, the brake was on and I was parked up against a wheel stop.

Dadams

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E GT-SOLD, 22 Sorento PHEV, 23 MachE GT RR
Country flag
My brother was in my driveway with his hybrid and forgot it was on, he took his foot off the brake while looking at his phone, the next thing he knew, he was in my garage. The problem is my garage door was still closed at the time of entry. Needless to say his car insurance covered my new garage door. Hopefully lesson learned. 🙂

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Don't beat yourself up too bad. A year ago I was driving a friend's Tesla using my Paak for the car and I went into a store to return an item. They wanted my credit card for the return and since I'd used Apple Pay, I reached for my phone, only to discover that it wasn't there. It was sitting on the charger mat in the car! Literally anyone could have walked up to the car and driven away. Worse yet, they would have my phone so they could wash/rinse/repeat. 🤣😳

Happily the car and my phone were still there when I ran back to the car!😅
PIN to drive!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Not sure if you know this, but if you leave the vehicle on and take the key with you it can't be stolen. It will not let you shift out of park unless the key is in the vehicle. So it's totally okay to leave it running/on if you need to go inside for 5-10 minutes as long as you take all the keys with you.
Except that an unlocked car can be ransacked.

My brother was in my driveway with his hybrid and forgot it was on, he took his foot off the brake while looking at his phone, the next thing he knew, he was in my garage. The problem is my garage door was still closed at the time of entry. Needless to say his car insurance covered my new garage door. Hopefully lesson learned. 🙂
My mother's very elderly boyfriend had a Prius, and he left it running more than once, in the garage. They had a CO detector in the adjoining laundry room, but it never went off. He also got out of the car once with it running, and it started to go forward, so he got back in and in panic shifted to reverse, then shifted to forward again, crashing into the refrigerator, just missing the gas line to the water heater. She had a handyman bolt wood to the floor to try and stop this, versus just taking away his keys/fobs.

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
So I ran into Manhattan today to pick something up, and found some nice street parking on east 97th right by the traverse. It was a beautiful space with nobody in front of me, but I still didn't want to be there long. I grabbed my phone and my bag, touched the door lock heard honk, and went to pick up my item. 5 minutes later I'm back and noticed the indicator lights on. I open the door to be greeted with the car still on and "running." Now I'm not even sure if that honk was for the lock, or me walking away with the keys without shutting it off. Because it's electric I didn't hear the engine running. Thankfully it was still there when I came back, and I just learned a big lesson to double check that it shut off before I leave, especially when street parking.

Just telling my story so that no one else is an idiot like me.
touched the door lock? mine locks when I leave automatically.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
My wife has left her hybrid Lexus running in the garage overnight with the garage door closed.. more than once.

touched the door lock? mine locks when I leave automatically.
That's under Locks-> Walk away lock-> enabled -> (possibly honk enabled)

LinkRS

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FWIW, most Ford vehicles with push-button start will do a double-honk if you get out and take you FOB with it still "running" Additionally, most vehicles with push-button start will require you to take extra steps if you want to lock the vehicle with keys inside. This makes it less likely that you lock your keys in the car :).

my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag
The honk for walk away lock is a single honk and walking away with the key while car is "on" is two honks.
Yeah, that two horn chirp is the most annoying thing for the car in my opinion. Especially when I get out of the car to drop off the kids at school.
Sponsored