I am thinking of replacing my electric car with a petrol car and have some questions

OP
OP

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
Electric cars are actually as old as ice cars and where some of the first cars.
And steam engines too. Obviously gas won the battle but I think once we are able to get fast charging times much lower than it is now then EVs will have an easier win.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Electric cars are actually as old as ice cars and where some of the first cars.
Electric cars are actually older than gasoline cars. I've read they were pretty bad, so when the first ICE cars appeared that was the end of EVs. If not for Li-ion batteries there wouldn't be any EVs today.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
And steam engines too. Obviously gas won the battle but I think once we are able to get fast charging times much lower than it is now then EVs will have an easier win.
BEVs are perfect city cars. But BEVs are not going to win the market for large trucks, semis, or military vehicles. The battery stored energy is too small, weight is too high, charging times are too long, and electric power requirements are too high for any of those applications. The fuel cell technology could be the next step, provided they solve all the complexity with hydrogen or develop fuel cells technologies based on gasoline or natural gas.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Point of order: we canā€™t flex about a frunk and a trunk when we donā€™t have a trunk.
Of course we can! Weā€˜ll just embrace cognitive dissonance. You know you want to, we have pie on the dissonance side. :p

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
BEVs are perfect city cars. But BEVs are not going to win the market for large trucks, semis, or military vehicles. The battery stored energy is too small, weight is too high, charging times are too long, and electric power requirements are too high for any of those applications. The fuel cell technology could be the next step, provided they solve all the complexity with hydrogen or develop fuel cells technologies based on gasoline or natural gas.
Tesla Semi? Will it actually happen? We shall see. He has amazed and perplexed and frustrated us before!

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I read a few of these posts to my mom and we were both laughing so hard we were having trouble breathing! :D

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Funny to be sure, but EVs cannot replace petrol for every purpose, at least yet.

I am thinking of replacing my petrol truck with an electric truck, and I have a some questions.

1. I hear that EV cars cannot refuel at any corner gas station in 10 minutes or less? How long does it take to refuel if you can only find a 120v plug? Will there be a solution for refueling from 0 to 100% faster than ICE?

2. Can I change the battery pack at home with little or no tools? Are the batteries available at Costco in bulk?

3. Can I brake and accelerate at the same time and do mad burnouts as I do today with my ICE truck?

4. What type of container do I need to store extra electrons for long off road trips like the gas cans I have now?

5. The EV I drove did not make awesome engine noises like my V8, is that normal for EVs?

6. My utility company uses fossil fuels to make electricity, but since the emissions do not come out of a tailpipe, an EV does not pollute at all, right?

7. Is it true that the battery pack in an EV can catch fire if punctured, and requires special training to put it out? Should I remove the battery when driving it to prevent this in case of an accident?

8. Is there an automatic system to prevent lithium ion batteries from catching fire and burning for hours? What does this cost?

9. I understand that the main ingredients in lithium ion batteries are heavy metals that are highly toxic. Is it true that there is a limited supply of these elements on the planet, just like oil? And is it true that these materials are mined, shipped and refined using petrol powered machinery and ships? And is it true these materials are being mined in countries with major civil and worker's rights issues? Is there a solution to this problem?

10. I have heard that EV drivers are eco-snobs and think they are saving the planet with their tiny contribution to environmentalism, yet they can afford these expensive mostly luxury level vehicles and typically live better and consume more resources that 99.99% of the people on the planet. Is this true?
I think liking ā€˜burnoutsā€˜ and noise says it all.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I could have seen this coming:
Masked vs Non-masked
Vaccinated vs Non-vaccinated
BEV vs ICE

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
For the record, I have 4 ICE vehicles and now one BEV, and I like them all, so I am neither pro-ICE nor anti-BEV. Each one is good for what I use them for. But I could just not resist posting some sarcastic humor of my own from the ICE point of view!

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I could have seen this coming:
Masked vs Non-masked
Vaccinated vs Non-vaccinated
BEV vs ICE
Count me in as Masked, Vaxxed, and ICEd soon to be BEVed.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Point of order: we canā€™t flex about a frunk and a trunk when we donā€™t have a trunk.
Touche!

The 'trunk' of my 911 is completely filled with a high performance 6 cylinder horizontally opposed 3.4 liter ICE refined to near perfection over 58 years by some of the finest engineers on the planet. It makes noises no BEV will ever replace!

But you can't put anything else in there... LOL

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think liking ā€˜burnoutsā€˜ and noise says it all.
Yeah, I had trouble coming up with anything to counter the original point, so that one was as stretch to be sure! LOL

But come on man!, who doesn't love the sound of a big V8 at redline doing a huge smoky burnout?
Sponsored