Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
lawyer
Country flag
That's right. We bought the Mach-E Select AWD the day after the stop-sale recall. First thing the next morning my husband saw a news story about the recall (this was the first we'd heard of it).

The dealer called today (Friday, 6/17) to tell us about the recall. They told us the car needs to be brought back today and won't be available to us until after the service is complete. My husband asked how long it would take, they said we'd get it by the end of August. He told them this would leave us without a car, they said they would see what they could do (without promising anything).

Our assessment is that they're trying to cover their butts by asking us to bring the car back. We have a second car, but it's a 2008 Ford Focus not exactly suited for long trips, which is what we're planning to take on Tuesday (120 miles) and in July (300 miles) (which is one of the reasons we decided to go electric!). If they can't give us an EV loaner, we're considering refusing to bring it back and waiting for the fix whenever it's available.

Are there any downsides to us in this plan (aside from the apparently remote possibility that we experience the issue that's the cause of the recall)? And is this how new car sales are supposed to work? Isn't there a problem with selling a new car with a known defect?
Sponsored

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In my eyes, they havenā€™t given you a full explanation why you have to turn it in, when they are letting all of us drive our cars until they get their act together to fix them. Which doesnā€™t bother them at all. They need to refund your payments for the time you didnā€™t get to use it for transportation.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
While I think they couldnā€™t do anything to take the car back legally, Iā€™m sure theyā€™re unable to file any purchase orders and finance contracts for the Mach-e.

Honestly, I would hold out and keep the car until they threaten legal action (if it ever happens). I would fear they take the car back and try to tell it out from under you after the stop sale is closed.

OP
OP

dracisk

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
lawyer
Country flag
Iā€™m sure theyā€™re unable to file any purchase orders and finance contracts for the Mach-e.
Hmm, we financed the car with Ford Motor Credit, so apparently they were able to do that on 6/14. Should we be worried about something there?

Reactions: UW2

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Quite honestly, if I did all my paperwork, submitted my financing, insured the care and drove it home, they would have to have a really good reason for me to take it back. It seems they screwed up and realize that now and are trying to save themselves a huge fine for selling after the recall was issued.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The reality is they probably did not know about the recall when they performed the paperwork. When they reported the sale they realized there was a recall. They can sell the car but are not legally allowed to release it until the recall is corrected. I do not know what action they can take but they can be fined for a bit over $20k for releasing the car. The dealer, I think, is not trying to harm you - they were just behind understanding/receiving the recall. I guess it depends on what kind of relationship you have with the dealer or what course of action they can take legally to have you return it to them.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I took delivery of my Select AWD on the Saturday, stop sale was the following Monday. No way I would be taking it back to the dealer if I was you. See you in July for my updates! Thatā€™s all I would say.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree, I would not take it back. One, who would then be responsible for insuring it during that time? Two, are you expected to be making a payment during that time for a car you would not have? I feel there is zero legal obligation but that would be a good question for an attorney perhaps? I would say, when and if you (the dealer) are able to do the software and/or hardware fix, I will bring in the car. Unless of course they want to refund your money in full if you wanted that option. Good luck!

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I usually try to be nice with my dealer. I had many chances to purchase a MME premium from other dealers but I decided to buy a select from my hometown dealer. I would like to be in a good term with them as much as I could so they would be nice to me when stop safely now happens. It is going to be very hard for a dealer to have an EV loaner for 2 months. If it were me, I would take a nice ICE loaner and travel through the continent. British Columbia is beautiful during this time of the year.

Last edited:

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I definitely wouldnā€™t take it back. Like nearly every other Mach E owner, Iā€™d just ride it out until the software update is ready.
Sponsored