JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's right. We bought the Mach-E Select AWD the day after the stop-sale recall. First thing the next morning my husband saw a news story about the recall (this was the first we'd heard of it).

The dealer called today (Friday, 6/17) to tell us about the recall. They told us the car needs to be brought back today and won't be available to us until after the service is complete. My husband asked how long it would take, they said we'd get it by the end of August. He told them this would leave us without a car, they said they would see what they could do (without promising anything).

Our assessment is that they're trying to cover their butts by asking us to bring the car back. We have a second car, but it's a 2008 Ford Focus not exactly suited for long trips, which is what we're planning to take on Tuesday (120 miles) and in July (300 miles) (which is one of the reasons we decided to go electric!). If they can't give us an EV loaner, we're considering refusing to bring it back and waiting for the fix whenever it's available.

Are there any downsides to us in this plan (aside from the apparently remote possibility that we experience the issue that's the cause of the recall)? And is this how new car sales are supposed to work? Isn't there a problem with selling a new car with a known defect?
"Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory prior to delivery."

View attachment recall22S41AN.pdf
Sponsored

Volfan615

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cyber Orange GT Performance
Country flag
I’d negotiate an Additional Customer Markdown (ACM) of 50% of the penalty they owe the feds to bring it back + a loaner.
This! Have them undo the purchase and then you buy it back when the recall is complete at a discount. They will be incentivized to do this or risk the penalty.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
They obviously were late to receive the stop sale info.

How was the purchasing experience with this dealer? If they were nice, didn't charge an ADM, etc, I'd consider working with them. At the very least furnish a nice loaner car for the duration, perhaps a Corsair PHEV if they also sell Lincoln.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
You would think Ford would give a very short grace period and make it effective a day later or something. There were stories about customers notified while they’re signing paperwork. It’s not like it’s a life or death situation.

Also, the whole premise that you can purchase but not take delivery is asinine to me. Makes zero sense.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I’ve had my MME since August 2021 and have had no issues. I suggest that you keep driving it, just like I am. Frequent fast charging and full acceleration should be avoided.

If the dealer keeps insisting that you return the car, tell them that you will need to contact the “Dept of Consumer Protection” for their guidance.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
That's right. We bought the Mach-E Select AWD the day after the stop-sale recall. First thing the next morning my husband saw a news story about the recall (this was the first we'd heard of it).

The dealer called today (Friday, 6/17) to tell us about the recall. They told us the car needs to be brought back today and won't be available to us until after the service is complete. My husband asked how long it would take, they said we'd get it by the end of August. He told them this would leave us without a car, they said they would see what they could do (without promising anything).

Our assessment is that they're trying to cover their butts by asking us to bring the car back. We have a second car, but it's a 2008 Ford Focus not exactly suited for long trips, which is what we're planning to take on Tuesday (120 miles) and in July (300 miles) (which is one of the reasons we decided to go electric!). If they can't give us an EV loaner, we're considering refusing to bring it back and waiting for the fix whenever it's available.

Are there any downsides to us in this plan (aside from the apparently remote possibility that we experience the issue that's the cause of the recall)? And is this how new car sales are supposed to work? Isn't there a problem with selling a new car with a known defect?
https://www.autofraudlegalcenter.co...u buy a car,language of the purchase contract.

I see that you are a lawyer and you should be "up to speed" on the above link. Not sure on what happens if you pay cash though?

I do know this, back in the 70's my Dad purchased a Combine for what he thought was a really good deal. The Equipment Company delivered the Combine and took the trade in off our farm. Fast forward two days later, the Equipment Company called and said they made a mistake and charged 2K under what they meant to charge. To make a long story short, my Dad went to a lawyer and found out that he did indeed need to give the Combine back unless he coughed up 2k more. (He did not btw and found a different Company to deal with) The law protects the Dealership more than the consumer in many cases.

My advice would be to tread lightly and seek advice from your "lawyer friends" if you have not done so already.

Just my 2 cents.................

MRyan7465

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
You would think Ford would give a very short grace period and make it effective a day later or something. There were stories about customers notified while they’re signing paperwork. It’s not like it’s a life or death situation.

Also, the whole premise that you can purchase but not take delivery is asinine to me. Makes zero sense.
On top of the federal and state rebates/credits, my local Air District has a $2000 rebate for EVs right now…The thing is, they only have 9% of funds remaining and the funds seem to be plummeting fast. It was 16% about two weeks ago, 22% the week or so before that.

I’ve accepted the fact that my MME, due to arrive in midJuly, won’t qualify for this rebate since the funds will have dried up. BUT, if my dealer were to call me today and tell me I could buy the car but not take delivery of it, I’d be in a tough spot.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
This really sounds like a them problem rather than a you problem. As others have pointed out, the dealer can be on the hook for $20K in fines for delivering a new vehicle with an outstanding recall, so they are likely freaking out.

If they can't give you a comparable loaner, at their expense, then I would just stop talking to them.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
On top of the federal and state rebates/credits, my local Air District has a $2000 rebate for EVs right now…The thing is, they only have 9% of funds remaining and the funds seem to be plummeting fast. It was 16% about two weeks ago, 22% the week or so before that.

I’ve accepted the fact that my MME, due to arrive in midJuly, won’t qualify for this rebate since the funds will have dried up. BUT, if my dealer were to call me today and tell me I could buy the car but not take delivery of it, I’d be in a tough spot.
Fair enough. $2,000 could be worth the risk if you believe it’ll be a matter of days to few weeks. Just seems to me that by including it in the FAQ, Ford is considering the option of purchasing but not taking delivery as more common than a special, one-off case. They were less clear about many issues we discuss ad nauseam on this forum.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Absolutely don’t give them the car back till they give you a loaner and attest that you’ll have it until your car is repaired. You’ve taken possession of the car and have a signed purchase agreement. Their position is untenable as it takes away your livelihood. Act entitled Since in this case you are Stand your ground
Jes sayin…

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I’d negotiate an Additional Customer Markdown (ACM) of 50% of the penalty they owe the feds to bring it back + a loaner.
I think @GreaseMonkey and @Monke (coincidence?) have the right idea here. If the dealer is reasonable, they’ll see the win-win of giving you a nice ICE or hybrid loaner (Escape Titanium Hybrid, for instance) plus a big chunk of gas money for the summer. 50% of the penalty would be awesome but even $5,000 would be pretty great.

You’re absolutely entitled to keep the car until the fix is ready but you might not want the ongoing stress of the dealer calling and pleading with you. And you’ll want to find a new dealer for future repairs and purchases. It’s not your fault at all but there would be hard feelings over $21,000. That’s why I’d explore the possibilities of getting a loaner and some driving around (road trip!) money before digging in. Good luck!