I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
So, I was bringing some flooring home from Home Depot. Loaded it the back. The little thing that holds the rear deck in place pulled out.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 20220208_100135

Parts cost alone is $650.. Full inner panel must be replaced! What a crap design!. I'll make my own support and attache it in an intelligent way. Anyway, watch what you load in the back. And if it weighs anything at all, watch for bumps.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I currently have my welding supplies in a heavy tote, 2 fully loaded tool boxes and my power tools in back. Floor lowered to lowest position since I expect those things would be way too much weight for those little plastic shelves. The supports at the hatch opening seem kinda strong but those two in back are not.

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, I was bringing some flooring home from Home Depot. Loaded it the back. The little thing that holds the rear deck in place pulled out.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 20220208_100135

Parts cost alone is $650.. Full inner panel must be replaced! What a crap design!. I'll make my own support and attache it in an intelligent way. Anyway, watch what you load in the back. And if it weighs anything at all, watch for bumps.
A physicist should know better.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
This is one reason I’ve never taken cars to dealers for repair - they always want to do it “right” which is usually “insanely inefficient and wasteful, and doesn’t actually resolve the root problem”. Of course, under warranty I will do so, but for other repairs there is usually a better way.

This looks like a good opportunity for a few Rivnuts to replace the threaded holes in the side panel, and then drill and thru-bolt the small bracket rather than using the original rivets.

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I just hate crappy design. But to correct my original post, the panel is "only" $588 and change. Labor would be another $400. I've got a big chunk of Delrin left over from another project. I'll just make a better part.

Even my Service Advisor said it's a crappy design.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I just hate crappy design. But to correct my original post, the panel is "only" $588 and change. Labor would be another $400. I've got a big chunk of Delrin left over from another project. I'll just make a better part.

Even my Service Advisor said it's a crappy design.
But couldn’t you get around the crappy design by just using the lower position when carrying a heavy load?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
But couldn’t you get around the crappy design by just using the lower position when carrying a heavy load?
Doing said lowering requires that you DON'T have a PhD. Ok maybe that was mean, but it's possible he didn't know about this secret hidden compartment.

Don't be obnoxious.
I see what you did there ?

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Possibly, but that gets rid of the flat load floor and the boxes were longer than the deck. It was all fine till there was a big bump or undulation in the road then BAM.

If I had used the lower position, then all the weight would have been on about 4" of the flooring. Which I guess it ended up being anyway.

But it's still a crappy design. It's an obvious failure point. For it to fail in such a way that the panel needs replacement is brain dead. Make it so the support block shears away under load and just replace the sheared block. Even with a lighter load, a pothole or something could put quite an impulse through it. Then one could still be in my situation.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I'll let you intellectuals continue your pissing match and your who-had-the-highest-SAT-score battle ...

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP. I knew there were multiple layers in the trunk but didn't know why. Thanks for posting

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
20220208_100135.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was common sense to lower the load floor if you're going to put anything of significant weight back there.