I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Is it only happens on the 21 model? I hope they changed on the 22 model. Mine is 22.
No, it's not changed. It's a 2 position floor. What would/should be different?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the basic design is fine the way it is, but it seems like they should add a few support points underneath to spread the load out so there's not as much stress on those 2 brackets. We can do it ourselves with a few blocks of wood cut to just the right height, but better would be if they included something. Especially since they know where the best load-bearing points are on the underfloor. Us just sticking a block in the center could end up transferring the weight of a heavy load onto something underneath that isn't good for it.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
I think the basic design is fine the way it is, but it seems like they should add a few support points underneath to spread the load out so there's not as much stress on those 2 brackets. We can do it ourselves with a few blocks of wood cut to just the right height, but better would be if they included something. Especially since they know where the best load-bearing points are on the underfloor. Us just sticking a block in the center could end up transferring the weight of a heavy load onto something underneath that isn't good for it.
Center of the board is the best supporting point. It can minimize the stress on the board itself also the side cover where the brackets
I’m hoping they will correct their faulty design. It doesn’t require a complete redesign but some enforcement.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was common sense to lower the load floor if you're going to put anything of significant weight back there.
You first have to know that there's an option to lower the floor. I, for one, did not know that until I read it on these forums a week ago or so.

As soon as I did know, and saw those supports, I decided lowered will be its new permanent position.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You first have to know that there's an option to lower the floor. I, for one, did not know that until I read it on these forums a week ago or so.

As soon as I did know, and saw those supports, I decided lowered will be its new permanent position.
I love the lower position. More space, and it keeps groceries and stuff from rolling out the back. (And that flimsy cargo cover is less likely to get hung up on a suitcase.)

I've only used the higher position once, when I had to slide in a long box and needed the floor more flush with the folded-down seats. Otherwise it's low position all the way!

Last edited:

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there a weight limit in the manual for lowering the deck? For instance putting flooring back there would not occur to me as that’s a truck job imo. But 5 suitcases to the airport is definitely a possibility… ? Thanks for posting, this would also be a post in the things you didn’t know forum…

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there a weight limit in the manual for lowering the deck? For instance putting flooring back there would not occur to me as that’s a truck job imo. But 5 suitcases to the airport is definitely a possibility… ? Thanks for posting, this would also be a post in the things you didn’t know forum…
I'm not aware of a weight limit in the rear, other than the overall passenger+cargo weight limit (914 lbs) for the whole car on the tire pressure sticker by the driver door.

The lower position for the cargo floor gets full support, sitting on the sides and the foam insert in the center. Should be no problem loading that one up. It's the higher position where it has weaker support.

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
This just happened to me. May I ask how you got them to agree to warranty the damage? I have a feeling it'll be a painful fight.
I was friendly towards my service advisor. He did the rest. My claim was that there wasn’t any warnings about a weight limit, but I really do think it came down to the dealership being a high volume shop that has a good relationship with the folks at Ford in charge of this stuff.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So, I was bringing some flooring home from Home Depot. Loaded it the back. The little thing that holds the rear deck in place pulled out.
20220208_100135.jpg

Parts cost alone is $650.. Full inner panel must be replaced! What a crap design!. I'll make my own support and attache it in an intelligent way. Anyway, watch what you load in the back. And if it weighs anything at all, watch for bumps.

crap, I busted mine today.... not that heavy a load, but it was on that back corner to keep it from sliding around. I was doing fine until I hit a speedbump fast enough to bounce the load. ;(

I will probably just run in some screws, or expansion bolts.....

Has anybody pulled the cover off to see what's behind there? I'm wondering how long a screw I might need to get to something solid.

This really is a crappy design.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
crap, I busted mine today.... not that heavy a load, but it was on that back corner to keep it from sliding around. I was doing fine until I hit a speedbump fast enough to bounce the load. ;(

Has anybody pulled the cover off to see what's behind there? I'm wondering how long a screw I might need to get to something solid.

Run a two inch screw in there and see what happens. 😂

I have been keeping mine on the lowest settings. I like how it keeps the groceries from rolling out when the hatch opens.

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag

Be careful. Past the inner cover is the fenderwell. Go too far and you'll hit tire or wheel.

Yes it's a shitty design. Just be happy you didn't post about it and get called an idiot by tons of commenters. So it could be worse.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Run a two inch screw in there and see what happens. 😂

I have been keeping mine on the lowest settings. I like how it keeps the groceries from rolling out when the hatch opens.
I like the upper position when I have seat backs down so I have a flat cargo area.... but for SURE will leave in lower tray position when seats are up from now on.

Its a 10 minute fix, but still a very weak design with no real solid backingl Just a couple layers of plastic, and then some foam.

I dunno if @Ford Motor Company noticed this thread, but this would definitely be a little area for improvement in the future....

00 broken.jpg

01 drill w .125 bit.jpg

02 1 in roofing screws.jpg

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Be careful. Past the inner cover is the fenderwell. Go too far and you'll hit tire or wheel.

Yes it's a shitty design. Just be happy you didn't post about it and get called an idiot by tons of commenters. So it could be worse.
yeah, I only went in an inch... same length as the plastic post that broke off.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I noticed this thread a while ago and I've kept mine in the low position ever since (and I'm sorry for people who have been impacted by it).

I'm not even sure I understand the purpose of the upper position. Is it just to have a uniform cargo floor when the seats are folded down?

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I noticed this thread a while ago and I've kept mine in the low position ever since (and I'm sorry for people who have been impacted by it).

I'm not even sure I understand the purpose of the upper position. Is it just to have a uniform cargo floor when the seats are folded down?
Yes. One that can't support much weight though. I massively overloaded mine. But as the recent poster found, not much weight and a good sized bump can break it as well.
Sponsored