I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear.

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
No, it's not changed. It's a 2 position floor. What would/should be different?
It should be designed such that if it breaks, it's a $25 dollar fix and not a close to $1000 fix. It should be designed to better transfer weight. It's a glaringly obvious failure/stress point. I was told I needed a whole new inner quarter panel. That's BS and crappy design.
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes. One that can't support much weight though. I massively overloaded mine. But as the recent poster found, not much weight and a good sized bump can break it as well.
That's just crazy. It seems like it would be nice to have the upper position for camping/sleeping in the car with an air mattress. But crawling around on that thing seems risky based on how fragile they are.

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
That's just crazy. It seems like it would be nice to have the upper position for camping/sleeping in the car with an air mattress. But crawling around on that thing seems risky based on how fragile they are.
Bingo! We have a winner!

I've done product design for much of my professional career. These supports are just bad design.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
I had the same issue. Fixed it myself for $0. Just used wood screws where the plastic pins were.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
The lower position annoys me in that the deck is sized for the upper position; putting it in the lower position exposes a gap in the back of the rear seats, where dirt and small objects can accumulate.

OP
OP
Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
The lower position annoys me in that the deck is sized for the upper position; putting it in the lower position exposes a gap in the back of the rear seats, where dirt and small objects can accumulate.
I can assure you that dirt and small object accumulate there even with it in the upper position.

You just can't see them as easily.

;)

JoeBeach

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 2WD ER, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-E is supposed to be at least a crossover if not a SUV. I have another Ford SUV (Expedition) and it doesn't seem to require I adjust the load area. Seems like a screwup in design to me.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Has anyone added a bolt or two on that piece of plastic to strengthen the support? I’m thinking about doing it before it breaks. I leave the board at the bottom level but if someday I want to sleep in the back I need to put the board on the upper level to flatten the floor.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 453AF762-546B-4319-AFF1-219CC5D992D1

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Has anyone added a bolt or two on that piece of plastic to strengthen the support? I’m thinking about doing it before it breaks. I leave the board at the bottom level but if someday I want to sleep in the back I need to put the board on the upper level to flatten the floor.
unless you are very heavy, or a very active sleeper, or in the habit of leaping into bed..... You'll probably be fine without adding bolts/screws. If you decide to do it before they break, it may be hard to hit the holes, so I'm attaching a picture so you can see the position to drill your pilot hole.

I'd suggest using a screw no more than 1" long, and don't overtighten as is is all plastic behind

00 broken.jpg

01 drill w .125 bit.jpg

02 1 in roofing screws.jpg

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
unless you are very heavy, or a very active sleeper, or in the habit of leaping into bed..... You'll probably be fine without adding bolts/screws. If you decide to do it before they break, it may be hard to hit the holes, so I'm attaching a picture so you can see the position to drill your pilot hole.

I'd suggest using a screw no more than 1" long, and don't overtighten as is is all plastic behind

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 02 1 in roofing screws

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 02 1 in roofing screws

Thank you for your suggestion. it's very helpful but what in my mind is that add a couple of 1" screws in the red rectangular area and leave everything else alone, the thing is that I don't know what's behind the red square.

1662565596283.png

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thank you for your suggestion. it's very helpful but what in my mind is that add a couple of 1" screws in the red rectangular area and leave everything else alone, the thing is that I don't know what's behind the red square.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 1662565596283
mechanically, you will be best off hitting the existing 'posts' at the top rather than the bottom since the load is cantilevered.... drilling thru the centers and using the plastic posts as an expansion post for metal screws. Metal screws will do a better job than plastic when it is in shear from shock loads AND hopefully be a little stronger and resist pull-out when in tension from 'regular' loads.

but if you really want to see what's behind there, you'll have to pull that panel.... which looks like it might get 'involved'.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mechanically, you will be best off hitting the existing 'posts' at the top rather than the bottom since the load is cantilevered.... drilling thru the centers and using the plastic posts as an expansion post for metal screws. Metal screws will do a better job than plastic when it is in shear from shock loads AND hopefully be a little stronger and resist pull-out when in tension from 'regular' loads.

but if you really want to see what's behind there, you'll have to pull that panel.... which looks like it might get 'involved'.
What you said makes sense but I can’t tell where the center of the plastic post is until it breaks off. So until then I can’t do anything preventatively. The good news is even they break it looks like it’ll an easy fix.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The Mach-E is supposed to be at least a crossover if not a SUV. I have another Ford SUV (Expedition) and it doesn't seem to require I adjust the load area. Seems like a screwup in design to me.
Not a screwup. It's pretty obvious when you put the floor in the upper position that it's a fairly lightweight piece of material resting on a couple of small supports on the edges. I'd never rely on it for anything heavier than groceries, or perhaps, lightly packed luggage, at most. Otherwise, it's going into the lower position before I load anything in there.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it knew where those plastic posts are behind that supporting piece, I could screw a screw into each one of them now, but hey if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If it knew where those plastic posts are behind that supporting piece, I could screw a screw into each one of them now, but hey if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
you can tell pretty much where they are from my picture.... the 'center' of the rounded top corners. But, I guess I'd wait to see if they break now that you are aware of the issue.
Sponsored