I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear.

BeachBee

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E 2022 extended range RWD, 2021 Premi
Occupation
Physician Associate
Country flag
I had the same issue. Fixed it myself for $0. Just used wood screws where the plastic pins were.
Ok so one of mine broke off and the other is dangling by a thread. I am going to ask my son to fix it for me. Any further info to share? Thanks. Im so annoyed.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok so one of mine broke off and the other is dangling by a thread. I am going to ask my son to fix it for me. Any further info to share? Thanks. Im so annoyed.
Unfortunately it is really a bad design, because people don't really expect such an area to be load limited. I don't think it's mentioned in the manual.

There's a post earlier in this thread about how to fix it using 1" screws. In the future just avoid using it entirely (instead, move the cargo floor to the lower position!) if you've got any significant load. It's more of an awareness thing.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I lowered mine on day 1 and it stays there.

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very interesting. I read the manual when I got the car and I have no recollection about adjusting the load floor. After reading this thread I went back and looked at the manual again and indeed there is a section on this BUT all it talks about is making the floor flat if you lay the rear seats down and there is nothing about heavy load damage if the floor is in the upper position. Others have said it should be obvious but the upper brackets are covered in plastic so there is nothing to suggest that they are weakly affixed. I keep learning good stuff from this forum so thank all of you.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My Modern Spare spare wheel now lives under the cargo floor. Yeah the cargo floor is now just a bit higher than the folded back seats (when they are folded) but the spare wheel's circumference carries any cargo load much better than the flimsy side front-wall plastic pop rivet brackets.

When the back seats are up, the cargo area works just like before.

Plus, this makes a good out of the way place for the MS spare wheel.

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Yeah, have to say, it's a dumb design. Problem is, it can not hold weight when it is flat with the truck lip(which is how we will naturally set it, even the car dealer)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It is a very easy fix... just be careful, drilling a 1/8" pilot hole thru the bracket, and running in a screw works fine. I leave mine in the lower position most of the time now since I am constantly putting heavy tools and materials in and out. Speed Bumps are the killer if you have a load in the upper position.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 00 broken

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 01 drill w .125 bit

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 02 1 in roofing screws

a better fix would require pulling the side panels out and adding a metal backer plate.... way more time and trouble than I wanted to go to. This quick fix takes 10 minutes, and is 'strong enough' for regular loads up to and including 2 people sleeping on it.

If you prefer the upper position, I'd recommend a cross brace underneath, perhaps a 2x4 or similar.....

SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
A box I had in the back seat propped up against the plastic trim that is right next to the window on the passengers side ripped that plether trim. It's not just that 3ft x 4inch piece. It's the whole door panel. That was 1,100 dollars I am not getting back. That should have been a separate piece, Ford! WTF!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Under Warranty?

BeachBee

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E 2022 extended range RWD, 2021 Premi
Occupation
Physician Associate
Country flag
Under Warranty?
Not sure. it is over a year old and i did not buy any extended warranty. Suppose i should have tried that first.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Not sure. it is over a year old and i did not buy any extended warranty. Suppose i should have tried that first.
I would bet not covered...... you obviously abused the under-designed cover on purpose.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It is a very easy fix... just be careful, drilling a 1/8" pilot hole thru the bracket, and running in a screw works fine. I leave mine in the lower position most of the time now since I am constantly putting heavy tools and materials in and out. Speed Bumps are the killer if you have a load in the upper position.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I can't believe the repair costs. Watch weight in the rear. 02 1 in roofing screws

a better fix would require pulling the side panels out and adding a metal backer plate.... way more time and trouble than I wanted to go to. This quick fix takes 10 minutes, and is 'strong enough' for regular loads up to and including 2 people sleeping on it.

If you prefer the upper position, I'd recommend a cross brace underneath, perhaps a 2x4 or similar.....
I use a 2x4 back there to make up for the horrible weak design.

I have to use the upper position all the time due to adding a subwoofer.

They SHOULD have designed it to hold whatever the load rating is for the car back there.

What happens if two adults sit back there while tailgating? Never seen an SUV that couldn’t handle that.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I use a 2x4 back there to make up for the horrible weak design.

I have to use the upper position all the time due to adding a subwoofer.

They SHOULD have designed it to hold whatever the load rating is for the car back there.

What happens if two adults sit back there while tailgating? Never seen an SUV that couldn’t handle that.

The stock brackets CAN handle 2 adults sitting, or sleeping..... but being very rambunctious (not sleeping), or hitting speed bumps with heavy loads is pretty risky....

;)
Sponsored