Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We all know the GOM is not great. But do we at least feel pretty confident that the SOC is fairly accurate? Not sure how one would test that.
At least it's a lot better than the GOM in our Leaf!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Not quite. mi/kWh is the the equivalent of MPG. You still have MPH in the Mach E - thatā€™s how fast youā€™re going. Well, we Mustangers actually call it Ground Speed cause weā€™re cool like that.
Thanks! I did mean to say MPG of course and just wasnā€™t thinking while typing ?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The variations on the GOM are high, but the variations in mi/kWh in a BEV are far greater than they are in an ICE vehicle too.

I just drove 783 miles Denver-Vegas this week. 7 drive legs between charges. I got as low as 2.0 mi/kWh, and as high as 3.7 on those 7 legs. Elevation gain/loss has a huge impact. Driving 70 MPH or 75 or 80 makes a big difference. Outside temps make a big difference (especially if below ~40F). Use of cabin heat (E-Heat) lowers mileage some. Wet roads lower mileage some. Headwinds and tails winds matter. For the whole 783 miles, I averaged 2.6 mi/kWh. Half of that was at 80 MPH (Utah speed limit). But on some ~20 mile stretches, it got as low as 1.6 and as high as 4.4.

The variability can easily be 2:1 from very favorable conditions to very unfavorable. Sometimes even 3:1 in the most extreme cases.
Thanks! Thatā€™s valuable insight too! Iā€™m planning a very short ā€œroadtripā€ to St. Michaelā€™s on the Eastern Shore in a few weeks. It should be interesting to see how the car does. It will be warm enough (well above 40) that I shouldnā€™t hit any temperature penalties, the route should be fairly flat, since Iā€™ll be close to the bay, and I shouldnā€™t be going too fast most of the way (there arenā€™t major highways). The drawback is that there arenā€™t too many charging options in St. Michaelā€™s and I think the place we are staying at only has a Tesla charger ?

Darken

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2021 Mach-E Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Thanks! Thatā€™s valuable insight too! Iā€™m planning a very short ā€œroadtripā€ to St. Michaelā€™s on the Eastern Shore in a few weeks. It should be interesting to see how the car does. It will be warm enough (well above 40) that I shouldnā€™t hit any temperature penalties, the route should be fairly flat, since Iā€™ll be close to the bay, and I shouldnā€™t be going too fast most of the way (there arenā€™t major highways). The drawback is that there arenā€™t too many charging options in St. Michaelā€™s and I think the place we are staying at only has a Tesla charger ?
If it's a Tesla 'Destination Charger' you can use it on the MME with an adapter no problem. Search for threads here on the Tesla adapter. This will not work on Superchargers of course, but standard chargers which are usually found at hotels, etc. will work for you if you get the adapter.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If that's the one I'm looking at on the map by Monmouth University, that's about 90 miles. Sounds like in good conditions and modest speeds, you could probably make the 180 mile round-trip without a charge, if you have the ER battery, and if you leave home at 100%.

But if you want to stop somewhere along the way and add 10-15 minutes of DCFC to make sure, that's pretty easy too. I don't see EA on that route, but check Plugshare for other chargers. There's EVgo at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets, for example. And some other places along the route.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If it's a Tesla 'Destination Charger' you can use it on the MME with an adapter no problem. Search for threads here on the Tesla adapter. This will not work on Superchargers of course, but standard chargers which are usually found at hotels, etc. will work for you if you get the adapter.
Right. Iā€™ve read those threads and might purchase one at some point. For now, there appears to be a J-1772 charger a block away and a few others not far away. Besides, itā€™s supposed to be a bit of an adventure ?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If that's the one I'm looking at on the map by Monmouth University, that's about 90 miles. Sounds like in good conditions and modest speeds, you could probably make the 180 mile round-trip without a charge, if you have the ER battery, and if you leave home at 100%.

But if you want to stop somewhere along the way and add 10-15 minutes of DCFC to make sure, that's pretty easy too. I don't see EA on that route, but check Plugshare for other chargers. There's EVgo at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets, for example. And some other places along the route.
Thanks, but wrong direction. Weā€™re going to St. Michaelā€™s, MD, on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, but wrong direction. Weā€™re going to St. Michaelā€™s, MD, on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay.
Oops. Yeah, that's a bit further (120 miles?) from Wayne. Might still make it on a 100% charge, but I'd at least want a plan for a charge on the return drive if it's looking iffy.

There's a DCFC EVgo at Queensville Premium Outlets, but only 1 CCS charger (plus a few J1772's). And a ChargePoint in Cecilton (Royal Farms).

Looks like there's a few J1772's in St Michaels too. Freemont St parking lot, Inn at Perry Cabin.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oops. Yeah, that's a bit further (120 miles?) from Wayne. Might still make it on a 100% charge, but I'd at least want a plan for a charge on the return drive if it's looking iffy.

There's a DCFC EVgo at Queensville Premium Outlets, but only 1 CCS charger (plus a few J1772's). And a ChargePoint in Cecilton (Royal Farms).

Looks like there's a few J1772's in St Michaels too. Freemont St parking lot, Inn at Perry Cabin.
Exactly. My plan was to hit up one of the J1772 chargers in the evening when we're at dinner. We'll see if that works.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Exactly. My plan was to hit up one of the J1772 chargers in the evening when we're at dinner. We'll see if that works.
Last January NJ announced plans for chargers on the turnpike, AC expressway, and garden state parkway. Apparently those plans evaporated due to covid, so we'll see when anything happens.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Last January NJ announced plans for chargers on the turnpike, AC expressway, and garden state parkway. Apparently those plans evaporated due to covid, so we'll see when anything happens.
Iā€™ll be going through Delaware.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good reason to buy a TeslaTap:
Fully functional for occasional use but bulky at $169 http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=99
Best for regular use and small size $259 http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Good reason to buy a TeslaTap:
Fully functional for occasional use but bulky at $169 http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=99
Best for regular use and small size $259 http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146
Do we know if the "bulky" one will fit into the bag or the bay with the mobile charger? If not, how about the unused space where the euro-spec tow hook goes? I'm not a fan of extra crap in my car, but I don't plan on road-tripping too frequently with the vehicle (maybe BlueCruise will change my mind, but the interesting places I want to go require me to traverse DC, which is pretty nasty (not the city, the beltway)).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do we know if the "bulky" one will fit into the bag or the bay with the mobile charger? If not, how about the unused space where the euro-spec tow hook goes? I'm not a fan of extra crap in my car, but I don't plan on road-tripping too frequently with the vehicle (maybe BlueCruise will change my mind, but the interesting places I want to go require me to traverse DC, which is pretty nasty (not the city, the beltway)).
I've got mine sitting on top of the Ford Mobile Charger bag in the back, with the cargo board in the lower position. But it's a tight fit. Kinda have to rearrange the mobile charger in the case just a bit so they overlap each other. But yes, it fits.