I feel like I'm giving myself the yips switching back and forth between 1Pedal and non 1Pedal

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
The clunk on acceleration didn't bother me as much as on decel. I'll have a buttery smooth stop until right at the end and while it's definitely not a deal breaker by any means, it was just frustrating after such an otherwise smooth stop.
Try unbridled,2PD with traction control off. Has lots of regen braking and still able to coast some without coming to complete stop/roll thru and blast off. I’m a “spirted driver “ sounds like you are too.
Sponsored

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
Just curious - since I don't have my MME yet - how does 1PD handle situations where you'd normally just take your foot off the brake and creep, like pulling into a garage or pulling a tad further out into an intersection to check for oncoming traffic? Is it more challenging since you have to use the accelerator pedal? I'm worried about simply launching out, I guess.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just curious - since I don't have my MME yet - how does 1PD handle situations where you'd normally just take your foot off the brake and creep, like pulling into a garage or pulling a tad further out into an intersection to check for oncoming traffic? Is it more challenging since you have to use the accelerator pedal? I'm worried about simply launching out, I guess.
You'll learn how far to push the pedal... It's not bad. For creeping, I start by fully releasing the pedal until the vehicle stops. Then I just very gently and slowly push in.

OP
OP
veronicablack

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
This was another reason I switched back to 2pedal. I wouldn't say it's *dangerous* using 1pedal doing stuff like this, but I personally feel way more precise and in control riding the brake reversing out a driveway than using 1pedal for this.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about. You just might find you prefer turning 1 pedal off.

Mach-E Mach

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Premium AWD ER Mach-E Job 2; 16 Chevy Colorado
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Question for 1PD drivers: if you’re using Blue Cruise and then disengage it (say you’re taking an exit), how do you move back to using the pedal to regulate speed? Since your foot is off the pedal, does it begin braking hard on its own?

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It is easier to creep in Whisper, but I have gotten good at creeping in Unbridled 1PD. It just takes practice.

As for the main topic of this thread, I love 1PD. I thought I would hate it, but now I hate 2PD. That brake pedal is so annoying when I actually have to use it. I like keeping my foot in one comfortable position on the go-pedal. I can never get a comfortable position when using 2PD like in my wife's car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Question for 1PD drivers: if you’re using Blue Cruise and then disengage it (say you’re taking an exit), how do you move back to using the pedal to regulate speed? Since you’re foot is off the pedal, does it begin braking hard on its own?
This takes practice as well. I put my foot on the go-pedal and put slight pressure on it, then when I disengage cruise I slowly release the pressure on the pedal. If I don't have the right pressure on the pedal it will slow more abruptly than I like, but it isn't bad even if you misjudge the pressure.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Question for 1PD drivers: if you’re using Blue Cruise and then disengage it (say you’re taking an exit), how do you move back to using the pedal to regulate speed? Since you’re foot is off the pedal, does it begin braking hard on its own?
This takes practice as well. I put my foot on the go-pedal and put slight pressure on it, then when I disengage cruise I slowly release the pressure on the pedal. If I don't have the right pressure on the pedal it will slow more abruptly than I like, but it isn't bad even if you misjudge the pressure.
An awesome tip from @JamieGeek in an old discussion:

Pressing the accelerator far enough to go faster than the setpoint overrides ICC and lets you drive (the car indicates this: part of the cruise iconagraphy on the dash turns grey when you get to the point where you're driving).

To "resume" you just let off the accelerator until the car is driving agian.

This is something I also do quite frequently--say to pass someone.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It’s actually better/more precise in 1pd than it is in 2 pd. 1pd offers more precision if you have a coordinated right foot, very small taps can net just an inch or so of movement when parking in the garage for instance. Imo the 2pd accelerator pedal initial tip-in is a bit over-exaggerated. But, then again, I come from (and still drive) a long line of high HP rwd cars that have well calibrated throttle pedals to allow for precise throttle control on track or in wet/adverse conditions.

My wife doesn’t like 1pd much at all and never uses it. What funny is that going in to the purchase of her 4X, I was the one that probably had more negative bias against 1pd. Maybe all the years of driving manuals just conditioned me for it.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
You can creep as slow as you want with 1PD. Slight pressure on the accelerator releases the brakes, then just keep pressing until you move at the speed you want. Going down a steep driveway (forward or reverse), you can feel the vehicle braking to maintain the creep. Going up a steep driveway (forward or reverse) the vehicle will continue to move just a tiny amount more than normal once you fully release the pedal. I assume it’s to prevent an abrupt stop.
I find it very smooth overall. You do need good fine motor skills to use it smoothly and it seems quite a few people might not have that amount of control or didn’t spend the time to get used to it.

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Why does it matter? Brake lights when your slowing down isn’t a bad thing. Who cares if people think you’re driving with two feet lol.
Because it's fairly aggressive in activating the brake lights, even a subtle lift on the freeway will illuminate the brake lights even when I'm not really slowing down rapidly. I'd like to know at what point it decides I've gone from essentially coasting to BRAAAKES so I can train my foot to feather to that point better.

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag
The clunk was definitely part of it for me. That said, I'm not loving some of the squeaky brake noise I'm getting at the end in non1pedal. Hoping that's just the rust coming off and/or the brake pads breaking in a bit.
Turn off Brake Hold. This should remove the "clunk" when starting out in 1PD,

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
I occasionally use 1PD for the novelty but find it less precise than 2PD. I’m glad it’s there but it feels like a fad to me. It’s mostly desirable because it’s different not because it’s better.
I am a 1-pedal driver and find it to be the best option on the MME.
I can go from home to a destination and back home without using the brakes.
For me it is ideal going from one highway and merging to another highway.
Lift your foot on exit, take the curve and put your foot down again and merge seamlessly.
If you have to panic stop, lifting your foot off the accelerator, the car starts braking before you actually hit the brake pedal. No faster way to stop the car.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
When I first got the car I was determined to use 1Pedal since it was the cool new thing for EVs and so many people spoke so highly of it. Well after almost 3 weeks I decided to try going back to non 1Pedal because there were certain things I just wasn't getting used to.

But now I feel like I've lost some of my non 1Pedal skills. I used to be a pretty good driver. Now I feel like I'm in driver's ed again.

I'm too much in my head now. Anyone else go through something similar?
You can never lose your 2PD skills unless you just got your DL and just started driving. It should be muscle memory now. It will come back to you. Trust your reflexes.
Sponsored