Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mini Cooper Hardtop JCW; 21 Toyota Venza
Occupation
Surgical RN
Country flag
While I waited for the Mach E, my eyes wandered a bit and I found an unclaimed Kia EV6 close to where I live. I traded a Mini JCW Hardtop to make the EV6 my daily driver. As I was about to cancel the Mach E, my husband decided he would like it for his daily driver. At last the Mach E arrived yesterday, so now we have both!
The Kia is a Wind AWD with Tech Package, and the Mach E is a Select, also with Tech package.

What Kia gets right:
  • 1 pedal driving. Compared to the Mack E, 1-pedal driving just feels more refined and intuitive in the Kia. Although my time in the Mach E has been a little limited, I find the 1-pedal function in the Kia to be smoother, more predictable, and easier to modulate and feather with the accelerator.
  • Ventilated seats
  • The turn signals (and a better overall dash display) I love that a blindspot video feed pops up in the dash
  • The User-interface is more responsive, and the home screen is clean, functional, and not at all intrusive
  • Useful paddle shifters and drive mode switch. While I find most paddle shifters to be beige amenities that serve no purpose, Kia added paddle shifters to increase and decrease regenerative braking. Additionally there is also a steering wheel mounted button to change driving modes.
  • Capability for fast charging
What Ford Gets right:
  • Door Handles and locks. There is something slightly off about the rock and pull feel of the opening the doors to the Kia with its flush handles that do not (currently) auto-lock/unlock. I love the clean feel of the Mach E's button and pull. The Kia is not necessarily bad; it's just not as easy
  • Center console display--I have mixed feelings about both. I love the large center console display of the Mach E. It is massive and easy to use. Displays in both cars are mostly very user-friendly
  • Homelink is standard. It is annoying that Kia did not make Homelink standard
  • Frunk. The Kia frunk seems like an afterthought placed just so that the company can claim its existence. That being said, I don't really care much other than I like the idea of a moderate storage space with a drain hole for all the tailgating I don't do.
  • Phone as key--why doesn't Kia offer this?
  • Automated parking. I have had this in a couple Ford cars, and it has always worked well to get into tight spaces
Where the two are very similar:
  • Interior layout. wireless phone charging, center console storage, and cable connections are very similar. Both have a very convenient and amply bin under the center console The Kia has a slight edge with more ports that are conveniently accessible and features cord management guides along the center armrest console
  • Both have very nice feeling faux leather and comfortable seats
  • Sound systems--the base system in the Select is actually decent, and I don't mind the Meridian in the Kia as much as some of the Critics. It could be better, but it certainly meets my needs
  • Both are very similar in size, though the front end of the Ford feels noticeably larger than the Kia
What Kia could have done better:
  • The much maligned display that switches between HVAC controls and media controls is mostly functional but sometimes infuriating. If one touches the wrong spot, instead of turning up volume, one will be inadvertently turning up the heat. I love and appreciate the concept, but the final product falls short in a way very similar to the way the Mac Touch Bar seemed cool on paper but did not translate well in reality.
  • Interior protection: The Ford rubber mats are very nice, and living in Michigan, I hate carpeted mats in the winter.
  • The smart opening trunk is anything but. It rarely opens when wanted but then opens oddly if one happens to walk near the rear with keys in their pocket. The standard bumper kick just makes sense as a gesture, and I do not like that the trunk just opens if I inadvertently look at the back of the car weird.
What Ford could have done better:
  • Lack of buttons and controls for basic functions such as heated seats and HVAC. All are found in the mostly easy to use large center touch screen
  • In all honesty, I love both cars and have not yet spent enough time in the Mach E to discover unique eccentricities that could be better.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I finally got a Mach E (and a Kia EV6)! IMG_2596
Ford Mustang Mach-E I finally got a Mach E (and a Kia EV6)! 20220526_162517

Last edited:

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Congrats! How is the Kia trim you have on acceleration? My Select AWD seems very quick.

OP
OP

Jfold

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Surgical RN
Country flag
The Kia is faster but not necessarily overwhelmingly. Both are plenty quick for us!

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Great comparison! In the EV6, can you just use the audio controls on the steering wheel while setting the center stack buttons to HVAC functions?

Really wish Ford added more physical buttons into their giant touchscreen. Wouldn't take away from the minimalistic design if implemented well. Unfortunately they're doubling down since the new Expedition and Lightning all use this vertical touchscreen. Somewhat surprising since Ford cars have had a good mix of touchscreen and physical buttons previously.

OP
OP

Jfold

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Surgical RN
Country flag
Yes, the steering buttons do work well. I still sometimes gravitate toward the center console controls, which mostly function quite well. It's just the 9th out of 10 times that I inadvertently touch something to cause it to change from audio/media to HVAC and find myself cranking the heat instead of the Bowie.
I am still very much getting used to both cars. Today as I washed the EV6 I figured out that the 'Smart' hatch only opens automatically when the rear is approached while the doors are locked. That was a bit frustrating to figure out while I washed the car earlier and the hatch kept opening itself. Now that I know I am a little more at peace with the feature.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
what about ride comfort, how do they compare? MME is very bouncy imo.

OP
OP

Jfold

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Surgical RN
Country flag
The EV6 is definitely a smoother and quieter ride. Don’t get me wrong; I love them both, but the EV6 is my preferred car of the two.

Schmetsky

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV, GolfR, MDX, Sienna, RX350
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
What about the cargo area, sans frunk. I find that the Kia and Hyundai cargo space is just a little bit cramped for all my coaching gear.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I like the idea of a moderate storage space with a drain hole for all the tailgating I don't do.
Great comparison, thank you. I laughed hard on this line! 🤣

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Delays and markups are significant factors. Any useful comparisons in your Ford-Kia experience?
Like you I ordered a Mach e (6 months ago and still no build date) but I bought a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd that came my way. (I used my trade-in markup to offset the Hyundai dealer markup.) Unlike you, I still don't have the MME to compare to. I'll decide what to do with the Mach e whenever I get it, expecting the dealer to honor the price protection and no-ADM promises.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I finally got a Mach E (and a Kia EV6)! 1654535831298

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I just recently test-drove the EV6 GT Line, I own an MME Premium Extended battery. This was an extended test drive they let me take it for the day. The faster DC fast charging offered by the EV6 is the reason for my interest. I have had my MME since February 2021 so that's the car I am more familiar with.

For me, the EV6 was smoother but at the cost of being sporty. The brakes on the EV6 have much less grab and the cornering of the EV6 was nowhere near as tight, capable, or composed as my MME. I do have an optional set of 245/50/19 tires but the EV6 had 255/45/20 which should still give the advantage to the EV6. The Heads up display is very cool and the turn signal cameras were also great. I am also not sure if it's the way the car was set up or if the Kia does not offer a walk-away lock. My MME Premium seemed faster but that's the seat of my pants feeling I didn't run 1/4 mile tests

My conclusion was for the average driver IE someone not looking for a sporty car the EV6 smoothness will probably be very appealing. For someone looking for sportiness, the EV6 would disappoint until the 576 hp version comes out this fall.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
I ordered my GTPE in September. When it never came, I sold a MIni Roadster and bought a First Edition EV6 in February. I've got 6,800 miles on it now including a three thousand mile road trip to Yellowstone. Sport mode will give you 4.5/60 with a suspension design by Albert Biermann from the BMW M Group. Out of the dozens of vehicles I've driven in my life, this was my favorite in many ways.

On the way back from Yellowstone, the Ford dealer calls me and tells me the GTPE showed up - eight months later! I test drove it and traded my Audi SQ5 without hesitation. I've had it two weeks now and I agree with most of what Jfold said - with some disagreement that would not lead to fisticuffs.

The GTPE is more city "muscle car". Little quicker lower end with Magneride and P Zero tires to hug the asphalt. While the EV6 is more Grand Touring for "over 60" performance. Either one could chew up a winding country road or embarrass an ICE at a traffic light.

If I had to sell one, it would be a difficult decision.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I finally got a Mach E (and a Kia EV6)! IMG_2332s

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
does the MME ride higher than the EV6 or both are comparatively the same?

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
does the MME ride higher than the EV6 or both are comparatively the same?
The MME sits more upright and the seats have better side support for those "James Garner" turns. The Kia is more low slung but actually "more cushy" for your tush after a long distance.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I'm thinking of trading my Mustang Mach-E Select AWD to give the EV6 (or maybe Ioniq 5) a try for a while. Honestly with the crazy market and getting another tax credit - why not give it a try ?
Sponsored