mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It took me forever to finish this modification because of other things happening in my life, and I didn’t want to report on an incomplete project. I had a few mistakes and problems along the way, but now that it is done it is great!

Using the volume control I installed, I can either turn the backup beeper (and that stupid fake engine sound) all the way down so the car is completely silent, or turn it up so it is easily heard. Because I am using a potentiometer in parallel with the speaker, the volume of the beeper is quieter than stock at full volume - about a third quieter I think. But it is still easily heard in parking lots and on streets.

The hardest part of this project was probably running the wires from the speaker to the cabin. I had to remove the frunk and get under the car to properly route and secure the wires. And then punch through a grommet in the firewall to send the wires into the cabin.

The second hardest part was placing the location of the speaker volume control. The first location I picked would not allow the panel to seat all the way because the potentiometer was interfering. I had to move it about ¾ of an inch to get it to fit into a gap behind the panel, and then the panel would seat all the way. So now I have an unused hole in the panel. Luckily the potentiometer came with a plastic bezel that covers up the mistake. Whew.

OK, first the schematic:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52052503011_c602cc4530_o

By looking at the way it is wired, you can see the potentiometer cuts off the speaker when fully turned down. When turned up, the potentiometer is in parallel with the speaker. Since the speaker is 4-6 ohms (I think) more of the current flows through the speaker but it is still lower than stock since some is flowing through the 8 ohm potentiometer.

I purchased two mating connectors to allow me to connect wires into the car, and I ran the car signal to the cabin and then back to the speaker. Here is my chicken scratch drawing that hopefully clarifies what I did:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52606003265_6f7ca972cc_o

Here is a picture of the wire connections at the speaker:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 1672795395429

Here is a picture of wires routed by the frunk and how I secured them with tie wraps (yes I cut off the tails):
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 51981795067_79fb30502c_o

This picture shows exactly where you need to put the potentiometer to prevent interference. You can see that to the left of the pot there is no room, which is where I put it initially of course.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52325650612_db6117d645_o

This picture shows the final location for the potentiometer and the hole I made in the wrong location:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52590348301_dc6b76f695_o

I painted the potentiometer bezel because I didn’t like the chrome lettering.
Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52589862952_e00c13d0f2_o

After:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52590776070_720202e07b_o

Here is a picture of the final installation, and I think it looks stock to the untrained and uneducated. Which is most of the general public. 😂
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos 52590776710_b47389bc40_o

The potentiometer I used:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos Pot

The knob that came with the potentiometer is super ugly, so I tried to find one that looked similar to those already used in the car and came up with this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos Knob

Here are the connectors.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos Connectors

If you want to try this, and you have any questions, let me know! Happy moding!

P.S. And just to clarify, I always want to be quiet. But just in case I feel the irritating noise is needed, it is an easy flick of the knob...

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thank you for sharing. Another excellent mod.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just realized I posted only one of the connectors and the contacts. I can find the part numbers for the rest if someone really wants to do this.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I recently did the "always quiet" mod to my car and then took it into the dealership for it's 10k service. I was really worried they would question why the car was not making a sound or even write it up on their notes.

They didn't seem to notice (or at least didn't mention anything about it). Having the ability to turn it back on easily would have been nice.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Great post, thanks! The original knob has an Apollo space program aesthetic to it - I would totally keep it.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I just realized I posted only one of the connectors and the contacts. I can find the part numbers for the rest if someone really wants to do this.
This is what I use for my noise cancelling. The part # is
Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700
;) It is an easy mod. No drilling or tools required.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I installed a volume control for my backup beeper! Now I can be safe when I want, and quiet when I want! - DIY instructions & photos noise cancelli

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great post, thanks! The original knob has an Apollo space program aesthetic to it - I would totally keep it.
Actually when I drop it off at the dealer I turn the volume back up. Not because I am worried they will say something, but because I think it is less likely they will damage my car by hitting something (or someone) they didn't see.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It sounds like you’re basically either turning the speaker off or on (albeit at a reduced volume). Did you consider adding a switch instead (perhaps with a resistor to lower the max volume)?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It sounds like you’re basically either turning the speaker off or on (albeit at a reduced volume). Did you consider adding a switch instead (perhaps with a resistor to lower the max volume)?
Yes, I did consider a switch so I could just turn it off and on. You would need a resistor to substitute for the speaker, but the benefit would be when on the sound is as loud as stock.

It was actually easier to add a potentiometer because there is no need to add another resistor. Also it is more flexible as I can fine tune the volume based on the ambient situation.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I’ll never understand the complaints about the back up sound. I barely hear it with the windows up,
Agree. Not to mention the potential liability for modifying either the pedestrian sound or backup sound if involved in an accident.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree. Not to mention the potential liability for modifying either the pedestrian sound or backup sound if involved in an accident.
When backing up, I go as fast as possible, with my eyes closed and parking sensors turned off. 😂

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
When backing up, I go as fast as possible, with my eyes closed and parking sensors turned off. 😂
Of course you have complete control over pedestrians and other drivers who may be hit, or, drive into your car. Totally get it.

I would expect some of this forum's members to use geofencing technology for this purpose. Baby in nursery is sleeping. Technology knows that via baby monitor, sends status to hub that communicates to the car to turn down the beeping but activate the flashing light in the garage.

Or it senses a person nearby, evaluates if it is human or animal, and emits the proper noise.

Instead we get a cheaper version of Dexter's Lab goes to Radio Shack... 🤣